[comp.windows.ms] WINWORD - Spelling check anomaly?

legg@ucs.adelaide.edu.au (Christian Legg) (04/15/91)

  Hello everyone,

  A user of ours on Campus is having a few problems with spell checking
a document under WINWORD. It seems that the checker will happily check
any words in the first half or so of the document, but will refuse to
check words in the second half.

  An example. Selecting a word that appears after the boundary of check/no-
checking then selecting Utilites->Spelling causes the word to become
unhilighted just before the spell check dialog appears. Selecting a word
that is before this mythical boundary and then selecting Utilities->Spelling
will leave the word hilighted, and it will appear in the spell check box.

  It seems to only be happening with this one document. Saving the document
in RTF format, then loading it back in again keeps the problem. To the best
of my knowledge, the text is not header/footer either. Saving the document
as text, then reloading it naturally fixes the problem, but the formatting
is munged in the process.

  Any ideas?

  cheers

    christian legg

Christian Legg                           * For God so loved the world that he
University Computing Services,           * sent his only Son, so that he who
University of Adelaide, South Australia. * believes in him shall not perish but
Phone  : (08) 228 5549                   * have eternal life.
Email  : legg@itd.adelaide.edu.au        *     John, 3:16

user2@cgevs3.cem.msu.edu (04/16/91)

In article <2855@sirius.ucs.adelaide.edu.au>, legg@ucs.adelaide.edu.au
(Christian Legg) writes:

>  Hello everyone,
>

>  It seems to only be happening with this one document. Saving the document
>in RTF format, then loading it back in again keeps the problem. To the best
>of my knowledge, the text is not header/footer either. Saving the document
>as text, then reloading it naturally fixes the problem, but the formatting
>is munged in the process.
>
>  Any ideas?

I'm not sure if this is the problem that you are having (or even if the
following is a correct solution), but I had a similar problem with a very large
file.  I found that I had not enough memory available to do a spelling check.
I removed some of my TSR's etc. (I only had 1 MB at the time) and it then
worked.  Don't know if this was the correct diagnosis of my problem, but it
worked.  Any comments, anyone?

Stephen

magid@avalanche.Berkeley.EDU (Paul Magid) (04/16/91)

	I have a different anomaly from the one above.  When I run spell
check the highlighted word in the document is sometimes not displayed.
So I can not tell whether the word is correct in that context or not.
Any fixes?

Paul

medici@dorm.rutgers.edu (Mark Medici) (04/16/91)

magid@avalanche.Berkeley.EDU (Paul Magid) writes:

>	I have a different anomaly from the one above.  When I run spell
>check the highlighted word in the document is sometimes not displayed.
>So I can not tell whether the word is correct in that context or not.
>Any fixes?

I've seen this problem (but not the previous).  The problem only
occurs if you've got PAGE_VIEW on.  Turn-off PAGE_VIEW before starting
your spell check and you should then be able to see the questionable
words in context.

The easiest way to do this is to write a macro to turn-off page view,
perform a document spell check, and turn page view back on.  One of
these day's I'll get around to doing that myself 8^)

Hpoe this helps.

Mark Medici/SysProg3 * RUCS/User Services * medici@elbereth.rutgers.edu

kadie@herodotus.cs.uiuc.edu (Carl M. Kadie) (04/17/91)

It seems that this week's topic is Winword spell checking. Here is my
question:

How can I do maintaince on my personal spelling dictionary? For example,
how can I review the words in my personal dictionary and delete the ones
I don't want any more?

--
Carl Kadie -- kadie@cs.uiuc.edu -- University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign

kadie@herodotus.cs.uiuc.edu (Carl M. Kadie) (04/17/91)

>How can I do maintaince on my personal spelling dictionary? For example,
>how can I review the words in my personal dictionary and delete the ones
>I don't want any more?

It turns out that it is just an ASCII file. Thanks to all who sent me
the solution.

--
Carl Kadie -- kadie@cs.uiuc.edu -- University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign

landers@zeus.mgmt.purdue.edu (Christopher Landers) (04/18/91)

In article <kadie.671846932@herodotus.cs.uiuc.edu> kadie@herodotus.cs.uiuc.edu (Carl M. Kadie) writes:

>How can I do maintaince on my personal spelling dictionary? For example,
>how can I review the words in my personal dictionary and delete the ones
>I don't want any more?

Sometimes the anwser is so simple, it's not obvious:

Open the file STDUSER.DIC (or what ever dictionary you're using) and edit
it in WinWord, then save it!

(STDUSER.DIC is in the WinWord directory, and is a text file, save it
 as text, which WinWord will do by default since it opened it that way.)
--
   <================================><===============================>
   || Christopher Landers           || PURDUE UNIVERSITY - KRAN 708 ||

altman@sbpmt.cs.sunysb.edu (Jeff Altman) (04/18/91)

In article <kadie.671846932@herodotus.cs.uiuc.edu> kadie@herodotus.cs.uiuc.edu (Carl M. Kadie) writes:
>It seems that this week's topic is Winword spell checking. Here is my
>question:
>
>How can I do maintaince on my personal spelling dictionary? For example,
>how can I review the words in my personal dictionary and delete the ones
>I don't want any more?

stduser.dic is a plain ASCII text file.  The format is a word followed
by a <RETURN>.  Edit it with any text editor including but not limited to
Notepad, WinEdit, ... or import into Word.

--
- Jeff  | Altmania Productions |================================|
 ~   ~	| 15 Yarmouth Lane     | jaltman    @ ccmail.sunysb.edu |

oivindt@bio.uio.no (Oivind Toien) (04/19/91)

In article <kadie.671905244@herodotus.cs.uiuc.edu> kadie@herodotus.cs.uiuc.edu (Carl M. Kadie) writes:

> >How can I do maintaince on my personal spelling dictionary? For example,
> >how can I review the words in my personal dictionary and delete the ones
> >I don't want any more?

> It turns out that it is just an ASCII file. Thanks to all who sent me
> the solution.

This reminds me that WFW (English version) had problems with
recognizing foreign characters in the personal dictionary. Or to be
more precise: I was not able to make it recognize my name, which
contains two of the Norwegian character 'O with slash'. (They do not
show up in the signature).  Quite annoying. My name was correctly
spelled in the dictionary. Anyone else had similar experience?
--
Oivind Toien   <oivindt@ulrik.uio.no>
Div. of General Physiology, Dept. of Biology, Univ. of Oslo

user2@cgevs3.cem.msu.edu (Stephen Medlin -- Medlin@CEMVAX.CEM.MSU.EDU) (04/19/91)

In article <1991Apr15.204631.9811@agate.berkeley.edu>, magid@avalanche.Berkeley.EDU (Paul Magid) writes:

>	I have a different anomaly from the one above.  When I run spell
>check the highlighted word in the document is sometimes not displayed.
>So I can not tell whether the word is correct in that context or not.
>Any fixes?
>
>Paul

Paul,
	I have also had this problem.  It seems to develop when I was quickly
clicking on "Ignore, etc." whenever a technical word came up that I knew was
correct.  I discovered that if I slowed down (not a fix--who wants to slow
down on a computer--even 33 MHz computers are still too slow....), then the
screen update occured correctly and I could see the context.  What I would
like to see from MSoft is to have the windows (spelling and document) separate,
so that I can move the doc. window up/down to see the whole context.  Any
one know if this is in the plans for Win 3.1 (whenever it becomes available)?

Stephen

07790@tanus.oz.au (Brant Campbell) (04/26/91)

The stuser.dic is a plain text file - delete lines add lines etc - no problems

UUCP: {munnari}!jabaru!anthos!tanus!07790
INET: 07790@tanus.oz.au