[comp.windows.ms] How can I get 256-colors?

fredrick@acd.acd.ucar.edu (Tim Fredrick) (04/12/91)

We have a VGA card and monitor which claims to be able to support 256
simultaneous colors.  What we want to do us use VisionWare X-Vision
(X11R4 server software) to run UNIX X clients that display 256 colors.
Has anyone out there accomplished this?  Are there settings in Windows 3.0
that allow you to run with 256 simultaneous colors?

Thanks.

--Tim

dalbrich@oregon.uoregon.edu (04/13/91)

Only Windows applications that are written to use 256 (or more) colors
can.  Many (most) popular applications do not.  This includes all system
utilities like the control panel's pallete etc.  Pretty sad huh?

I gues (and I'm not an expert on the topic) that windows applications must
get the system color pallete, and this must involve some burden to programmers
since many modern (made for Windows 3.0) software ignores this ability.
Corel Draw 2.0, gifview (shareware from cica) are a couple that do have
this ability.  Believe it or not Paint which comes with windows can
read a 256 color file and display it, but you cannot access the pallete or
create your own 256 color images.  i.e. it only works if you have a PCX
or BMP created by another program, and then just display it.
If you attempt to save it, Paint saves it as a 16 color image no matter what.
Sorry for the bad news,
-Dan
PS: Call the folks who make the app your using and ask them to include it.
   Pressure never hurts, and I'm sure this will no longer be a problem in
   the future (people will just expect it in the future- my guess anyway)

mags@visionware.co.uk (Maggie Thomas) (04/17/91)

In article <11034@ncar.ucar.edu> fredrick@acd.acd.ucar.edu (Tim Fredrick) writes:
>We have a VGA card and monitor which claims to be able to support 256
>simultaneous colors.  What we want to do us use VisionWare X-Vision
>(X11R4 server software) to run UNIX X clients that display 256 colors.
>Has anyone out there accomplished this?  Are there settings in Windows 3.0
>that allow you to run with 256 simultaneous colors?
>
>Thanks.
>
>--Tim

You have to have a copy of XVision 3.2 or later to use all 256 colours
which your display has.  If you have this version, check that your client
actually uses 256 colours.  If it does, check that you have installed the
correct Windows driver for your card, and that it is in a directory in your
path.  It may have to be in the Windows directory.  If you can get 256
colours to display in Windows, you should be able to get them to display
with your X clients using XVision.

Maggie.

bjorn@valhalla.esd.sgi.com (Bjorn Lindstrom) (04/19/91)

I would be interested in finding out more about X-Vison... is this a
communications package for talking Unix X-windows servers from Windows?
Or is it an X-Window server (to Unix machines) running under Windows?

I could use an X-window comm package for talking to my SGI workstation...

Bjorn

simon@visionware.co.uk (Simon Taylor) (04/26/91)

In article <1991Apr18.231826.28659@odin.corp.sgi.com> bjorn@valhalla.esd.sgi.com (Bjorn Lindstrom) writes:
>I would be interested in finding out more about X-Vison... is this a
>communications package for talking Unix X-windows servers from Windows?
>Or is it an X-Window server (to Unix machines) running under Windows?
>
>I could use an X-window comm package for talking to my SGI workstation...
>
>Bjorn

	XVision is a Microsoft Windows based X Server.

	For further information contact us by any of the methods below.

	Simon

	sales@vision.co.uk

Simon Taylor
Support Manager                 UUCP    : simon@vision.co.uk
VisionWare Ltd                  BANGNET : ...!uunet!mcsun!ukc!vision!simon
57 Cardigan Lane                PHONE   : +44 532 788858 Ext. 237
Leeds                           FAX     : +44 532 304676
LS4 2LE                         SUPPORT
England                         HOTLINE : +44 532 743234
--------------- VisionWare: The Home Of DOS-UNIX-X Integration ----------------