[comp.windows.ms] MS Word for Windows *S L O W* to print tables

winslett@widor.cs.unc.edu (Michael Winslett) (04/26/91)

In printing a document consisting of a 5-page table, my W4W slows to a
crawl.  The output speed is approximately 1 page every 5 minutes.  My
configuration is a Gateway 2000 20Mhz 386, 4Mb memory, Windows 3.0,
W4W 1.1, and ATM 1.0 printing to a HP LaserJet IIP with 2.5Mb memory.
I am running Windows in 386-enhanced mode.  I tried increasing the
size of the ATM font cache, but this had no effect.  The table is all
in 1 font - 12pt Times Roman.

This slow rate is while word is printing into the queue (i.e. for 25
minutes I see the hour glass, nothing is being sent to the printer,
and I can't switch to other applications).  When it finally finishes
and the Print Manager begins to send the document to the printer,
things operate at normal speed.  The size of the print spool file is
only about 650K!

Printing of regular text works fine, though if a page-long table is
embedded in an otherwise normal document, the printing of that page
takes approximately 5 minutes.

Has anyone seen this or know why it is happening?

marshall@wind55.seri.gov (Marshall L. Buhl Jr.) (04/27/91)

winslett@widor.cs.unc.edu (Michael Winslett) writes:

>In printing a document consisting of a 5-page table, my W4W slows to a
>crawl.  The output speed is approximately 1 page every 5 minutes.  My
>configuration is a Gateway 2000 20Mhz 386, 4Mb memory, Windows 3.0,
>W4W 1.1, and ATM 1.0 printing to a HP LaserJet IIP with 2.5Mb memory.
>I am running Windows in 386-enhanced mode.  I tried increasing the
>size of the ATM font cache, but this had no effect.  The table is all
>in 1 font - 12pt Times Roman.

Actually, it's your system.  You need the new Lightning 100MHz i686 to
use tables in WinWord.  Can't you college types afford decent systems?
:-)

I talked to one of the WinWord developers about this.  I was complaining
that my 486/33 was slow.  My secretary who has a 386/20 complains even
louder.  They are aware of this problem and I think they plan on fixing
it in the next release.

My guess is that you are working with a great deal of information when
using tables.  Remember, each cell is at least one paragraph.  A 5x30
table has at least 150 paragraphs in it.  That's a lot of formatting
info to handle.  How many normal pages have 150 paragraphs?

BTW, Print Previews take forever too.

The good news here is that there's nothing wrong with your PC.  The bad
news is that we all must wait for the next release to get this serious
drawback fixed.

I haven't heard anything about when a new release would be coming.  I
was a beta tester on 1.0 and have offered my services again, but I
haven't heard from them about testing a new release.  So unless they
don't love me anymore :-(, I doubt if it will be soon.

Marshall
--
Marshall L. Buhl, Jr.             EMAIL: marshall@seri.gov
Senior Computer Engineer          VOICE: (303)231-1014