[comp.windows.ms] WfW slows down

ebu@vipunen.hut.fi (Erik Bunn) (04/21/91)

I have a 25 MHz 386 running win3.0 in enhanced mode. Sometimes,
WfW (2.1?) just slows down completely. You can type a long word, and
it pauses for a couple of seconds and then bursts the text out.
Scrolling the page and redrawing are also irritatingly slow.

Am I missing a setting in the enh mode, or is this a bug? Our
university has 286 pc's running the same programs, and they seem to
work fine (except for the natural slowness of a 12 MHz machine, but
still a lot faster than mine!)

Oh - this seems to occur often when I change fonts to bold within a
document. Any reason why?

--
- Erik Bunn			---------	 "You see, I missed her -
- ebu@vipunen.hut.fi		    -----	  terribly..."		-

Joel_Murray@mindlink.bc.ca (Joel Murray) (04/22/91)

> ebu@vipunen.hut.fi writes:
>
> Msg-ID: <EBU.91Apr21143315@vipunen.hut.fi>
>
> Org.  : Helsinki University of Technology, Finland
> Person: Erik Bunn
>

> I have a 25 MHz 386 running win3.0 in enhanced mode. Sometimes,
> WfW (2.1?) just slows down completely. You can type a long word, and
> it pauses for a couple of seconds and then bursts the text out.
> Scrolling the page and redrawing are also irritatingly slow.

I have started experiencing the same problem, except after typing something
underlined or when inserting text into the middle of an 82 page document.

If you find anything out, please forward the information to me.  By the way, I
too have a 25 MHz 386 (with 8 megs of memory)....

    = Joel Murray / Vancouver, British Columbia  /  Canada, Eh? =
    = a23@mindlink.bc.ca  [or]  uunet!van-bc!rsoft!mindlink!a23 =

knotts@hpl-opus.hpl.hp.com (Tom Knotts) (04/23/91)

>I have a 25 MHz 386 running win3.0 in enhanced mode. Sometimes,
>WfW (2.1?) just slows down completely. You can type a long word, and
	  ^^^^
	  1.1

>it pauses for a couple of seconds and then bursts the text out.
>Scrolling the page and redrawing are also irritatingly slow.

This drives my wife crazy. She solves this by closing down and restarting.
Are you using ATM?

>Oh - this seems to occur often when I change fonts to bold within a
>document. Any reason why?

Hmm.. a clue.

tom

aaron@jessica.stanford.edu (Aaron Wallace) (04/24/91)

In article <69220023@hpl-opus.hpl.hp.com> knotts@hpl-opus.hpl.hp.com (Tom Knotts) writes:

>>I have a 25 MHz 386 running win3.0 in enhanced mode. Sometimes,
>>WfW (2.1?) just slows down completely. You can type a long word, and
>	  ^^^^
>	  1.1
>
>>it pauses for a couple of seconds and then bursts the text out.
>>Scrolling the page and redrawing are also irritatingly slow.
>
>This drives my wife crazy. She solves this by closing down and restarting.
>Are you using ATM?
>
>>Oh - this seems to occur often when I change fonts to bold within a
>>document. Any reason why?
>
>Hmm.. a clue.

This is a common problem.  Try doing the printer setup bit--go into the
Printer Setup menu, re-set up your printer, and quit.  Whenever I alter
my font list, WfW slows down; doing this brings things back up to speed.

Aaron Wallace

aaron@cavebbs.gen.nz (Aaron Roydhouse) (04/27/91)

In article <1991Apr23.215925.23923@leland.Stanford.EDU> aaron@jessica.stanford.edu (Aaron Wallace) writes:
>In article <69220023@hpl-opus.hpl.hp.com> knotts@hpl-opus.hpl.hp.com (Tom Knotts) writes:
>>
>>>I have a 25 MHz 386 running win3.0 in enhanced mode. Sometimes,
>>>WfW (2.1?) just slows down completely. You can type a long word, and
>>>it pauses for a couple of seconds and then bursts the text out.
>>>Scrolling the page and redrawing are also irritatingly slow.
>>
>>>Oh - this seems to occur often when I change fonts to bold within a
>>>document. Any reason why?
>>
>This is a common problem.  Try doing the printer setup bit--go into the
>Printer Setup menu, re-set up your printer, and quit.  Whenever I alter
>my font list, WfW slows down; doing this brings things back up to speed.

This problem appeared on all our machines as soon as we installed ATM.
My impression was the W4W suddenly felt a need to think about the
whole document - such that if you left it for ten minutes, when you
came back it was up to speed. Although you must reselect your printer
setup after any change in the font-list, this doesn't seem to stop a
slow-up. What does work reliably is printing the document, or
print-previewing it. Your milage may vary.

Aaron.
--
 _  Aaron "The Entity" Roydhouse  /  Ph: +64 4 726-363  A/H: +64 4 850-988
/ \  -=[ The Cave MegaBBS ]=-    /  Fax: +64 4 4996301  BBS: +64 4 643-429
|@/   aaron@cavebbs.gen.nz      /  Mail: P.O. Box 11-704, Wellington, N.Z.
\__   aaron@comp.vuw.ac.nz     /  Quote: "Death: To stop sinning suddenly"

rschmidt@copper.ucs.indiana.edu (roy schmidt) (04/28/91)

According to The Friendly Manual :-)  you should just change the View of
the document to Draft.  This lets you type quickly, but you don't see
the graphics and the fancy fonts.  Changes in typestyle are represented
with underlines.  So if your doc starts to slow down, just switch to
draft until you *need* to see the layout, then switch back to View Page.

Roy Schmidt                 |  #include <disclaimer.h>
Indiana University          |  /* They are _my_ thoughts, and you can't
Graduate School of Business |     have them, so there!  */