[comp.windows.ms] OS/2 2.0 and Unix

melling@cs.psu.edu (Michael D Mellinger) (04/27/91)

What features of OS/2 2.0 are better than Unix or don't exist in Unix?
I've heard it mentioned several times that the file system in OS/2 is
better.  Is there anything else?  Personally, I think NeXT has made
Unix much more appealing to the masses, and they have actually given
Unix a chance of making it in the "real" world.  Why wait for IBM to
deliver an OS that NeXT has today?

-Mike

williams@nssdcs.gsfc.nasa.gov (Jim Williams) (04/29/91)

In article <ka5G&fmz1@cs.psu.edu> melling@cs.psu.edu (Michael D Mellinger) writes:

>What features of OS/2 2.0 are better than Unix or don't exist in Unix?
>I've heard it mentioned several times that the file system in OS/2 is
>better.  Is there anything else?  Personally, I think NeXT has made
>Unix much more appealing to the masses, and they have actually given
>Unix a chance of making it in the "real" world.  Why wait for IBM to
>deliver an OS that NeXT has today?
>
>-Mike

I have a specific question about HPFS vs the Unix file system.  Does
HPFS have anything like links (multiple names for the same file)?  I've
always believed that the concept of links was one of the best ideas in
Unix, and I've missed it on my home machines (first CP/M, now DOS/Windows).
I just might be an OS/2 2.0 convert if I can get hard or soft (symbolic)
links.

Jim
Spoken: Jim Williams    Domain: williams@nssdcs.gsfc.nasa.gov
Phone: +1 301 286-1131  UUCP:   uunet!mimsy!williams
USPS: NASA/GSFC, Code 933, Greenbelt, MD 20771
Motto: There is no 'd' in "kluge"!  It rhymes with "huge", not "sludge".