[comp.windows.ms] Looking for a GOOD windows developement package

9531fost@ucsbuxa.ucsb.edu (04/26/91)

Can anyone out there recommend a good or great Windows 3.0
software development package.  I will be using it to develope
front end menuing interfaces for different PC setups.  The
package should be easy to use for simple task (Windows and menus)
but capable of being used for bigger development.  I hope this
is not asking for to much in one package.

Thanks
Markee Foster
9531fost@ucsbuxa.edu

bjorn@valhalla.esd.sgi.com (Bjorn Lindstrom) (04/26/91)

In article <10830@hub.ucsb.edu>, 9531fost@ucsbuxa.ucsb.edu writes:
|> Can anyone out there recommend a good or great Windows 3.0
|> software development package.  I will be using it to develope
|> front end menuing interfaces for different PC setups.  The
|> package should be easy to use for simple task (Windows and menus)
|> but capable of being used for bigger development.  I hope this
|> is not asking for to much in one package.

I recommend CASE:W from CaseWorks.  I have seen it, and played with it a
little, and it seems pretty good.  It will do prototyping, and full code
generation, including comments (in varying, user-selectable, degrees).  The
only hitches are that you MUST have 2 megs of memory, and you MUST use MS C
version 5.2 or 6.0.  Of course, the Windows SDK is still required.  Too bad
it doesn't work with the Zortech C++ v2.0.  Now THAT would be a hot setup.

You also might consider Borlands Turbo C++ for Windows and DOS.  It looks
like it might be a good deal, although I have seen some unhappy customers on
the Net, in regards to it's help compiler (licensed from MS I might add).

I almost bought Actor 3.0, but after careful consideration, I decided against
it for the following reasons:

	1) It's a proprietary language.  If the company goes under... no more
	   upgrades (maybe unusable when platforms change even a little bit).
	2) I would want to be proficient in a language that not only I can use
	   but also, in a language that is valuable to other companies, in case
	   my own attempts at making a product fail.  There are NO serious
	   companies out there that are developing in ANYTHING other than C.
	   Period.

The same goes for Borlands ObjectVision, and KnowledgeGarden products.  The
price is tempting in dollars, but the price is too steep in saleable skills.

Hope this helps... good luck!

Bjorn

johnc@goanna.cs.rmit.oz.au (John Cromie) (04/29/91)

9531fost@ucsbuxa.ucsb.edu writes:

>Can anyone out there recommend a good or great Windows 3.0
>software development package.  I will be using it to develope
>front end menuing interfaces for different PC setups.  The
>package should be easy to use for simple task (Windows and menus)
>but capable of being used for bigger development.  I hope this
>is not asking for to much in one package.

There is a great package called OPEN.UI available from a company called
Open Software Associates (OSA) here in Australia.  It handles UI
development very productively, and then runs the UI without change
on a range of common GUI's including Windows 3.0, Motif, OpenLook,
DOS without Windows, and even ordinary terminals.  And it looks
absolutely native on each environment (I've seen it) !

It handles all the UI development and management stuff, and has a very
nice interface to common languages, including C, C++ and COBOL (!)

It was recently introduced at the CeBIT Hanover Fair, and from what
I've heard it got a very hot reception in Europe.

Their phone number is + 613 871 1666.  From the US you will need to
call in the evening.  Last I heard they were planning a US office soon.
In the meantime, I can only offer you the Australian contact.

John.