[comp.windows.ms] Windows3.0 and PCNFS

tw@mullauna.cs.mu.OZ.AU (Thomas Weichert) (04/18/91)

We are using pcnfs for shared devices in the department form our Labtam
386/20 with a 3COM501 card. trying to print from within Word for Windows
doesn't produce any results at all other than the print manager returning
the message "printer error cannot communicate with printer check ..bla bla"
Has anybody else out there a similar setup running?
The printer is a Applewriter Plus connected via Multigate(Interfacing device
for Appletelk to Ethernet) to our network using a Sun 3/50 as server with
var/tmps/muggi as spool directory. Everything works ok using the net print
command of PCNFS for ASCII files and the likes, but the intention is of course
to use postscript if possible!

Any help appreciated
Thank YOU(whoever)				Thomas

Ulf.Ruthberg@dc.luth.se (Ulf Ruthberg) (04/19/91)

In article <tw.671951688@mullauna> tw@mullauna.cs.mu.OZ.AU (Thomas Weichert) writes:
>We are using pcnfs for shared devices in the department form our Labtam
>386/20 with a 3COM501 card. trying to print from within Word for Windows

We've got it running here, on 3C501 and 3C523 cards
All I do is "NET USE (printersettings)", and it works just fine
with WINWORD, WIN3, Apple Laser, QMS Laser, writing to
specified port, in my case LPT3:.

cohen@theory.tn.cornell.edu (Ron Cohen) (04/21/91)

In article <tw.671951688@mullauna> tw@mullauna.cs.mu.OZ.AU (Thomas Weichert) writes:
>We are using pcnfs for shared devices in the department form our Labtam
>386/20 with a 3COM501 card. trying to print from within Word for Windows
>doesn't produce any results at all other than the print manager returning
>the message "printer error cannot communicate with printer check ..bla bla"
>Has anybody else out there a similar setup running?
>The printer is a Applewriter Plus connected via Multigate(Interfacing device
>for Appletelk to Ethernet) to our network using a Sun 3/50 as server with
>var/tmps/muggi as spool directory. Everything works ok using the net print
>command of PCNFS for ASCII files and the likes, but the intention is of course
>to use postscript if possible!
>
>Any help appreciated
>Thank YOU(whoever)				Thomas

I have the same problem with a different hardware setup, so I suspect a basic
incompatibility between windows and PCNFS.
  Ron

craick@titan.trl.oz (John Craick) (04/22/91)

tw@mullauna.cs.mu.OZ.AU (Thomas Weichert) writes:

>We are using pcnfs for shared devices in the department form our Labtam
>386/20 with a 3COM501 card. trying to print from within Word for Windows
>doesn't produce any results at all ....

Windows won't print to a netmounted LPTx unless you have defined one of
your printer ports as LPTx.OS2. Sorry if you already know this - there
has been quite some net chat on this. Email me if you need details. I'll
post if many Em's arrive.

Could/should this perhaps go in Windows frqs ?

John Craick
(j.craick@trl.oz.au)

petersja@debussy.cs.colostate.edu (james peterson) (04/22/91)

In article <1991Apr21.013446.7177@batcomputer.tn.cornell.edu> cohen@theory.tn.cornell.edu (Ron Cohen) writes:
>In article <tw.671951688@mullauna> tw@mullauna.cs.mu.OZ.AU (Thomas Weichert) writes:
>>We are using pcnfs for shared devices in the department form our Labtam
>>386/20 with a 3COM501 card. trying to print from within Word for Windows
>>doesn't produce any results at all other than the print manager returning
>>the message "printer error cannot communicate with printer check ..bla bla"
>>Has anybody else out there a similar setup running?
>>The printer is a Applewriter Plus connected via Multigate(Interfacing device
>>for Appletelk to Ethernet) to our network using a Sun 3/50 as server with
>>var/tmps/muggi as spool directory. Everything works ok using the net print
>
>I have the same problem with a different hardware setup, so I suspect a basic
>incompatibility between windows and PCNFS.

I have been supporting a similarly configured machine and, except for some
initial difficulties related to ingnorance, have experienced no difficulties
printing to a laserwriter.   Most of the problems we experience with
printing usually trace to the software on the Sun....

--
james lee peterson				petersja@CS.ColoState.edu
dept. of computer science

rob@pcad.UUCP (Ralph Brown) (04/22/91)

I'm using WfW with an IBM postscript printer and PCNFS 3.5 and it works
very well as long as I use COMMAND.COM to start everything. Under the
previous version of PCNFS I got similar results to what you are reporting,
but the upgrade fixed it.

My problem is that when starting from MKS Korn shell, I don't get any
messages, it locks up the entire machine and I have to reboot.

Ralph

bdh@gsbsun.uchicago.edu (Brian D. Howard) (04/24/91)

cohen@theory.tn.cornell.edu (Ron Cohen) writes:

>In article <tw.671951688@mullauna> tw@mullauna.cs.mu.OZ.AU (Thomas Weichert) writes:
>>We are using pcnfs for shared devices in the department form our Labtam
>>386/20 with a 3COM501 card. trying to print from within Word for Windows
>>doesn't produce any results at all other than the print manager returning
>>the message "printer error cannot communicate with printer check ..bla bla"
>>Has anybody else out there a similar setup running?
>>The printer is a Applewriter Plus connected via Multigate(Interfacing device
>>for Appletelk to Ethernet) to our network using a Sun 3/50 as server with
>>var/tmps/muggi as spool directory. Everything works ok using the net print
>>command of PCNFS for ASCII files and the likes, but the intention is of course
>>to use postscript if possible!
>>
>>Any help appreciated
>>Thank YOU(whoever)				Thomas
>>

>I have the same problem with a different hardware setup, so I suspect a basic
>incompatibility between windows and PCNFS.
>  Ron

I have Windows 3.0 running with an older (soon to be upgraded) version
of PCNFS.  I have a Laserwriter IInt, a I, and a QMS (of some kind)
running off a Sun all accessible from within windows and from dos.
I can print a .bmp, print a postscript file, and plain ascii text.
Its probably not an incompatibility issue.

--
"Hire the young while they still know everything."

marshall@wind55.seri.gov (Marshall L. Buhl Jr.) (04/27/91)

craick@titan.trl.oz (John Craick) writes:

>tw@mullauna.cs.mu.OZ.AU (Thomas Weichert) writes:

>>We are using pcnfs for shared devices in the department form our Labtam
>>386/20 with a 3COM501 card. trying to print from within Word for Windows
>>doesn't produce any results at all ....

>Windows won't print to a netmounted LPTx unless you have defined one of
>your printer ports as LPTx.OS2. Sorry if you already know this - there

Hmmm.  I'm running Win3 and PC-NFS 3.5 and just yesterday got network
mounted printers working on my PC.  The LJ III is connected to a 286
running DOS (finally - a real use for a 286!).  It works just fine and I
didn't define any printers as LPTx.OS2 (it'll probably quit working now
that my PC has found out that it's required  :-).

I'm very impressed with this.  I'm gonna buy me a LJ IIIsi to put on
this 286.  Already got approval.

I do hate TELNET though.  How primitive!  No scrolling, function keys,
cut/paste to other windows.  It keeps crashing on me too.  I'll stick to
Xtalk for Win for terminal sessions.

Marshall
--
Marshall L. Buhl, Jr.             EMAIL: marshall@seri.gov
Senior Computer Engineer          VOICE: (303)231-1014

pilger@uhunix1.uhcc.Hawaii.Edu (Eric Pilger) (04/27/91)

Remember to use LPT1:OS2 or LPT2:OS2 when you are in Windows.

Eric Pilger
Systems Programmer
NASA Infrared Telescope Facility

iroberts@pietro.ua.oz.au (Ian Roberts) (04/30/91)

I generally have no problems printing to an Apple Laserwriter IINT from Word for
Windows via PC-NFS/ethernet but I did have to choose the right printer port.

Windows gives me a number of ports to which I can configure printers. The last
one is lpt2.OS2: or similar (I can't remember the punctuation).

With my printer set up to that port things work pretty well except...

I can't seem to get the print manager to work in the background of my 386SX
machine - this may be an unrelated problem as I haven't tried very hard to solve
it yet.

(Note that our lw is attached to our unix server via a serial cable which may
mean that the above advice is irrelevant.)