[comp.windows.ms] Printer problem with Windows and Novell

mcc@WLV.IMSD.CONTEL.COM (Merton Campbell Crockett) (04/30/91)

In article <1991Apr29.133659.119488@rrz.uni-koeln.de> ro@rrz.uni-koeln.de (Jochen Roderburg) writes:

>  [much deleted]
>
>With QEMM I have tried every combination of QEMM parameters, loading
>drivers high and low, using NET, XMSNET, EMSNET, nothing works.
>The exact result varies, but always I have garbage before and after the
>*real* print file. The garbage is something random from memory, I always
>find parts of my resident programs in it.
>After these result I had a strong suspicion against QEMM, and started
>another test series with HIMEM.SYS instead, but even this doesn't work
>with XMSNET. The only combination which works is HIMEM.SYS with NET4,
>what is clearly not the desired configuration, because with this I can't
>save any byte of our precious DOS memory.

Unfortunately, my environment is not exactly the same--I don't do windows.
I leave that for the domestics.

I have found that QEMM386 can be used to load NET4 in upper memory without
any ill effects.  I do use the DOSSHELL to avoid consuming precious disk
space with small batch files (*.MEU in effect allows multiple batch files
to be combined) and load its SHELLB into upper memory.

In this environment there is no problem printing to an HP LJIII.

I don't see any particular advantage to using XMSNETn or EMSNETn if one is
going to load the NET shell into upper memory.  The memory management versions
may be just a little too smart for their own logic when their root is loaded
high.

Merton Campbell Crockett

ro@rrz.uni-koeln.de (Jochen Roderburg) (04/30/91)

This is a cross-posting to the Windows and Novell Mailing lists and
Newsgroups, so please apologize if you see it twice (or more).

>> I have a problem with the configuration of an HP LJII on a NOVELL
>> network and Windows.  It seems to send the proper text and graphics
>> to the printer, but either before or after (or both) the printout
>> there is garbage.  Lots of garbage!!!!

I was just about to post a similar question to these lists and
newsgroups.
We seem to have the same problem, but I have already managed to narrow
the circumstances a bit: It happens only in Windows 386 enhanced mode,
but with every printer that we like to use.

To sum up our configuration and my observations:

The server involved is a 386-clone running Netware 386 v 3.10.

A typical client where the problem occurs:
Hardware:  PS/2 Model 70 with 4 mB memory
           3COM 3C523 Ethernet adapter
Software:  Operating system: IBM-DOS 4.01
           Memory manager:  Quarterdeck QEMM 5.11 (preferred)
                       or   Microsoft HIMEM.SYS 2.60
           3C523 Packet driver from Clarkson University
              (Version 3.0, newer versions don't work)
           IPX-PKT driver from Brigham Young University
              with Novell IPX v 3.02
           Novell Shell v 3.02 (NET4, XMSNET4, EMSNET4)
           ... and of course Windows 3.0

With QEMM I have tried every combination of QEMM parameters, loading
drivers high and low, using NET, XMSNET, EMSNET, nothing works.
The exact result varies, but always I have garbage before and after the
*real* print file. The garbage is something random from memory, I always
find parts of my resident programs in it.
After these result I had a strong suspicion against QEMM, and started
another test series with HIMEM.SYS instead, but even this doesn't work
with XMSNET. The only combination which works is HIMEM.SYS with NET4,
what is clearly not the desired configuration, because with this I can't
save any byte of our precious DOS memory.

So it looks like that there are strange interactions between the 386
memory managers, Windows 386 mode and Novell. And therefore my question
to the net community, has anybody an idea what might be going on here?
I can't imagine that we are the only installation in the world with
this combination of programs.

Jochen Roderburg
Regional Computing Center
University of Cologne
Robert-Koch-Str. 10                    Tel.:     +49-221/470-4564
D-5000 Koeln 41                        Internet: Ro @ RRZ.Uni-Koeln.DE
Germany                                BITNET:   A0045 @ DK0RRZK1

vosseler@dorm.rutgers.edu (Thomas Vosseler) (04/30/91)

It sounds like problem with you memory manager to me.  Are you using a
TSR print program such as DOS PRINT?  I have had garbage come up on my
printer at home (non-networked) when I tried messing with PRINT and
some memory utilities at the same time.

Tom