[comp.windows.ms] Ami test drive

3kw@mace.cc.purdue.edu (David R. Zeller) (05/02/91)

Recently, someone posted about a demo version of Ami that they
got from their bookstore.  Has anyone else seen this?  Is it
copyable (legally?)?  If so, is it on an ftp site anywhere?
If not can it be?  (Hint, hint!)  I looked on cica, but couldn't
find it.

How functional is it?  Similar to WfW-demo?

Thanks for any info.

David R. Zeller

3kw@mace.cc.purdue.edu (play)
zeller@sage.cc.purdue.edu (work)

drp@dosbears.UUCP (David R. Preston) (05/02/91)

In article <7364@mace.cc.purdue.edu> 3kw@mace.cc.purdue.edu (David R. Zeller) writes:
>Recently, someone posted about a demo version of Ami that they
>got from their bookstore.  Has anyone else seen this?  Is it
>copyable (legally?)?  If so, is it on an ftp site anywhere?

From an ad in PC Magazine (March 26, 1991), call 1-800-831-9679
for your free working model of Ami Pro.

>How functional is it?

I assume you mean compared to the non-demo version :-)
The biggy is that you can't save files, but you can print.
Also, no thesaurus or spell checker.  As someone else mentioned,
they conveniently left out the import filter for their major
competitor - Word for Windows.

Personally, I'm not impressed.  But I have W4W and Pagemaker 4.0....
I was especially disappointed with the drawing features - it's not
for illustrating technical papers, more for lines and fills.
Also, the image stuff doesn't work with 32 grey scale images (I
know, I should get a better scanner...).

--
          David R. Preston      drp%dosbears.uucp@ingres.com
                   The world hadn't ever had so many