[comp.windows.ms] Win 3.0 w/ Intel INBOARD/386 PC

ttak@uhura.cc.rochester.edu (Tim Takahashi) (05/02/91)

I've finally upgraded the memory in my ancient IBM PC w/ INBOARD 386/PC
accelerator card to 2mb. However, I seem to have a conflict between
HIMEM.SYS and the driver necessary to activate extended memory that
comes with the Inboard. Should I call Microsoft or Intel to solve
my problems?

(PS The manual states that the .SYS driver that activates the INBOARD
  contains the equivalent of HIMEM.SYS - this only works for Windows
  2.x!)

thanks in advance

tim

gyugyi@earthsea.stanford.edu (Paul Gyugyi) (05/03/91)

In article <13763@ur-cc.UUCP>, ttak@uhura.cc.rochester.edu (Tim
Takahashi) writes:
|> I've finally upgraded the memory in my ancient IBM PC w/ INBOARD
386/PC
|> accelerator card to 2mb. However, I seem to have a conflict between
|> HIMEM.SYS and the driver necessary to activate extended memory that
|> comes with the Inboard. Should I call Microsoft or Intel to solve
|> my problems?
|>
|> (PS The manual states that the .SYS driver that activates the
INBOARD
|>   contains the equivalent of HIMEM.SYS - this only works for Windows
|>   2.x!)
|>
|> thanks in advance
|>
|> tim

For now, just use HIMEM.SYS, and load it after the inbrdpc.sys
entry in your config.sys file.  Don't use the Intel-supplied
emm driver you got with the Inboard.

What you want to do is call Intel and get _FREE_ the Inboard/PC
specific version of Windows 3.0.  This will let you run in 386
mode, (which you can't do with the normal version) and in standard
mode (which you _might_ be able to do now).

Email me if you have problems.  I've got an Inboard/PC with the
2 meg expansion board.  If you don't have the 2meg daughter board
full up, you'll have this strange desire to by more memory just
seconds after running windows.

--
Paul Gyugyi
gyugyi@earthsea.stanford.edu

ttak@uhura.cc.rochester.edu (Tim Takahashi) (05/03/91)

In article <1991May2.105531@earthsea.stanford.edu> gyugyi@earthsea.stanford.edu (Paul Gyugyi) writes:
>For now, just use HIMEM.SYS, and load it after the inbrdpc.sys
>entry in your config.sys file.  Don't use the Intel-supplied
>emm driver you got with the Inboard.

>What you want to do is call Intel and get _FREE_ the Inboard/PC
>specific version of Windows 3.0.  This will let you run in 386
>mode, (which you can't do with the normal version) and in standard
>mode (which you _might_ be able to do now).

Well.... INBRDPC.SYS and HIMEM.SYS definitely do *NOT* get along
in standard mode on my PC. I'm used to running Win 3.0 on a 16mhz
386sx w/ 3mb / 800x600 at home. I'm trying to get the beater machine
at school to run.... So far, I've sucessfully run Windows 3.0
in Real Mode w/ the ILIM386.SYS ems emulator. No luck with standard
mode w/o 	ILIM386 and with HIMEM.SYS.

tim