[comp.windows.ms] Win 3.0 + Winword + Deskjet 500 = ?

dworshak@coral.bucknell.edu (04/18/91)

I am comtemplating buying a Deskjet 500 for use with Win 3.0 and Winword 1.1.
I will probably also get ATM to clean up fonts.
Has anyone had any experience with this setup, either good or bad?
Any recommendations???

While we're on the subject, does anyone have any recommendations on the
Deskjet 500 printer (for use at home) ?

Please email any responses to me at:   dworshak@coral.bucknell.edu

Thanks very much.
Todd Dworshak

wyle@inf.ethz.ch (Mitchell Wyle) (04/19/91)

In <1991Apr17.221917.3135@coral.bucknell.edu>
Todd Dworshak dworshak@coral.bucknell.edu asks:

>I am comtemplating buying a Deskjet 500 for use with Win 3.0 and Winword 1.1.
>I will probably also get ATM to clean up fonts.
>Has anyone had any experience with this setup, either good or bad?
>Any recommendations???

yes; do it.

>While we're on the subject, does anyone have any recommendations on the
>Deskjet 500 printer (for use at home) ?

it's great.

if you can't afford laser, go with the deskjet.

HP makes great printers.  The mean time between failures and general quality
is fantastic.  It will last you forever.  300 dpi is as good as a laser.

The dj500 comes with scale-able fonts for windows3.  My wife threw
everything else out and went with those.  They're great.  Who needs ATM?
CG-times that comes with the deskjet 500 is better than any of the fonts
her boss and co-workers had been using before.

Of course, her dissertation and papers are not nearly as good looking as my
latex stuff, but she gets to use the mouse, has an integrated thesaurus,
spell-checker, and wysiwig, bla-bla.  Her lab just bought slide-write.
Slide-write makes pretty pictures and can save them as tiff files.  I was
very impressed with wfw's ability to integrate those tiff files.  It's
faster and BETTER than the mac.  Can't touch the NeXT, though...

Joel_Murray@mindlink.bc.ca (Joel Murray) (04/20/91)

I would also highly recommend the above combination (see subject header).

I have a Deskjet Plus, Winword, ATM, and (of course) Windows 3.0.  The
combination makes for excellent results:  my girlfriend's MA thesis, which I'm
typing (lucky me), looks great--almost laser quality.

A word of caution, though:  make sure that you buy the right kind of paper.
Photocopier or laser paper with no cotton content will allow the ink to bleed
into the fibers.  Of course, the result is ugly.  Just make sure that any paper
you buy contains some amount of cotton.  Usually, the word "bond" in the title
of the paper package will indicate cotton content.

By the way, it took me a couple of tries before I found the most appropriate
paper to use.  The result, however, was worth it:  my colleagues at work (who
aren't very computer literate to begin with) ooh and aah at whatever documents
I take to work....

    = Joel Murray / Vancouver, British Columbia  /  Canada, Eh? =
    = a23@mindlink.bc.ca  [or]  uunet!van-bc!rsoft!mindlink!a23 =

Joel_Murray@mindlink.bc.ca (Joel Murray) (04/22/91)

> jcwasik@PacBell.COM writes:
>
> Msg-ID: <8830@pbhyf.PacBell.COM>
>
> Org.  : Pacific * Bell, San Ramon, CA
> Person: Joe Wasik
>
> Note that most cheap papers have a preferred side. Check the label on the
> ream: "print this side up".  P.S.  In the DJ, cheap paper seems to work
> very well.

Note that bond needn't be expensive:  a 500 sheet package of Custom Bond (20
lb) costs only $9.95 Canadian.

> >    = Joel Murray / Vancouver, British Columbia  /  Canada, Eh? =
>
> Canada?  What state is that in?  :-)

Groan.  Another Al Capone....   :-)

    = Joel Murray / Vancouver, British Columbia  /  Canada, Eh? =
    = Joel_Murray@mindlink.bc.ca               "Kuso ga okiru." =

jcwasik@PacBell.COM (Joe Wasik) (04/23/91)

In article <28103@neptune.inf.ethz.ch> wyle@inf.ethz.ch (Mitchell Wyle) writes:
>I am comtemplating buying a Deskjet 500 for use with Win 3.0 and Winword 1.1.
>I will probably also get ATM to clean up fonts.
>Has anyone had any experience with this setup, either good or bad?
>Any recommendations???

I have this exact configuration.

Winword works as advertised with the DJ500.

The 'print' option on the File-Manager menu does not work properly.  It tries
to print one more line than the DJ can handle.  Hopefully this bug in the
DJ driver will be fixed soon.

The expensive ink-catridges on the DJ can be re-filled.  The cheapest way
is to do it your self. You need a syringe, 1 inch, 22 gauge needle. The
more CCs, the better.  It takes 12+ CCs to refill a cartridge.  Use any
black ink.  Inject it slooowly into hole in top of cartridge.  Use cotton
swap to clean bottom of cartridge (use water!).  Quality with my ink
(script [sp?], yellow box, black letters) is excellent. A little darker
than the original so draft mode looks more like formal mode.

Hope this helps...

--
Joe Wasik, Pac*Bell, 2600 Camino Ramon, Rm 4E750V, San Ramon, CA (415)823-2422
email: jcwasik@clib.PacBell.COM or [...]!pacbell!clib!jcwasik

jcwasik@PacBell.COM (Joe Wasik) (04/23/91)

... about the Deskjet 500:

robertt@hp-vcd.HP.COM (Bob Taylor) (04/23/91)

> The 'print' option on the File-Manager menu does not work properly.  It tries
> to print one more line than the DJ can handle.  Hopefully this bug in the
> DJ driver will be fixed soon.

One more time - this is a problem with file manager, not the DJ driver.  File
Manager only checks to see if the top of a character will fit on a page, not
the entire character.  It therefore asks the DeskJet (and many other printers)
to print out of their printable areas.  There was a bug in the older DESKJET.DRV
drivers (now fixed) that could cause some funny results when this happened,
but this has been fixed.  The DeskJet 500 Scalable driver just clips the
text - it prints the parts of the characters that do fit on the page.  Until
Microsoft fixes File Manager, the work around is to print the file using
Notepad, which works fine.

bob taylor
HP Vancouver

drp@dosbears.UUCP (David R. Preston) (04/25/91)

In article <5551@mindlink.bc.ca> Joel_Murray@mindlink.bc.ca (Joel Murray) writes:

>A word of caution, though:  make sure that you buy the right kind of paper.
>Photocopier or laser paper with no cotton content will allow the ink to bleed
>into the fibers.  Of course, the result is ugly.  Just make sure that any paper
>you buy contains some amount of cotton.  Usually, the word "bond" in the title
>of the paper package will indicate cotton content.

Actually, high cotton content (25% or more) is the worst you could use.
I haven't tried any paper that claimed to have cotton that gave good
results; what brand are you using and does it say how much cotton?

The absolute best I've seen so far is James River Corp.'s "Pro-Tech"
short-grain laser bond paper (cat.#94162).  I've also gotten good
results (for <$) from Benchmark High-speed Xerographic (99-120).
However, some other non-bond xerographic paper I tried was yucky,
so you just have to experiment.  I don't know how Canadian dollars
convert to real money :-), but the Benchmark was less than US$5.00/ream
and the Pro-Tech was less than $7.

--
          David R. Preston      drp%dosbears.uucp@ingres.com
                   The world hadn't ever had so many

Joel_Murray@mindlink.bc.ca (Joel Murray) (05/03/91)

> drp@dosbears.UUCP writes:
>
> Msg-ID: <221@dosbears>
>
> Org.  : DosBears
> Person: David R. Preston
>

> Actually, high cotton content (25% or more) is the worst you could use.
> I haven't tried any paper that claimed to have cotton that gave good
> results; what brand are you using and does it say how much cotton?
>
> The absolute best I've seen so far is James River Corp.'s "Pro-Tech"
> short-grain laser bond paper (cat.#94162).  I've also gotten good
> results (for <$) from Benchmark High-speed Xerographic (99-120).
> However, some other non-bond xerographic paper I tried was yucky,
> so you just have to experiment.  I don't know how Canadian dollars
> convert to real money :-), but the Benchmark was less than US$5.00/ream
> and the Pro-Tech was less than $7.

Note that I never mentioned _high_ cotton content.  The paper I use doesn't
mention how much cotton it contains, but I would guess that it contains less
than 10 percent.

The brands I use are DomTar Victory Bond and Custom Paper Ltd. Custom Bond,
both of which are probably found only here in Western Canada.

Concerning the cost, US $1.00 = CAN $1.20 (approximately).  The cheapest paper
we have here is around $9.00.

By the way, I tried Hammermill Fore DP Long Grain ("for Hi-Speed Xerographic
Copiers/Offset Duplicators/Laser Printers") and was really disappointed; the
bleeding was so bad that the final copy was unusable (for business, anyway).