[comp.windows.ms] Windows Termininal...

ccdcheng@pollux.ucdavis.edu (Paul Chi-Jen Cheng) (05/02/91)

I have a problem...I have a mouse on COM1, serial port on COM2, and
a modem on COM4.  I use ProComm Plus, and the modem works fine, but
when I start up terminal under windows 3.0, it comes up saying that
that port has been assigned to DOS.  Why does this happen?

Another problem I have is with paintbrush.  After opening it several times,
it gives me a message that there is not enough memory and that I should
close some other applications.  The thing is, I don't have anything else
running, foreground or background.  I have 2 Mb in my 386, so I don't
know what is happening.  (Paintbrush comes up in black & white.)

Please respond e-mail

Much thanks,
Paul

><  Paul Chi-Jen Cheng, Genetics  ><  Computing Services, Student Operator ><
><  Make DNA, not war.            ><  University of California, Davis      ><

cccstevn@underdog.Ucdavis.EDU (Steven T. Ansell) (05/03/91)

The com port problem has to do with the way Windows 3.0 handles
serial ports.  There is a program that attempts to fix this called
setcom.  I have not tried it because I have no need for such a
program.  You can attain it from cica.cica.indiana.edu by
anonymous ftp in the directory pub/pc/win3/uploads.  If you want
to grab it today you can take it out of my directory on the Sun's.
It is in /home/gXXXXX/cn/cccstevn/Downld and is called w3setcom.zip.
You can download it and give it a try, but I will delete it by
tomorrow.
As to your other problem, it is difficult to say what is causing it.
Since you say you have a 386: are you in enhanced mode and is your
swap file set up correctly?  If either of these is not true then
your 2MB is an absolute limit and paintbrush takes up a LOT of memory.
I think that it is around 500K or more.  Try closing up some apps
before running paintbrush.  these are the only suggestions I can
give without knowing more about your setup.  Good Luck.

						-Steven T. Ansell
						Unix Consultant
						Computing Services U.C.D.

mikel@dosbears.UUCP (Mike Lipsie) (05/04/91)

In article <12848@aggie.ucdavis.edu> cccstevn@underdog.Ucdavis.EDU (Steven T. Ansell) writes:
>The com port problem has to do with the way Windows 3.0 handles
>serial ports.  There is a program that attempts to fix this called
>setcom.  I have not tried it because I have no need for such a
>program.  You can attain it from cica.cica.indiana.edu by
>anonymous ftp in the directory pub/pc/win3/uploads.

I think this is covered in the FAQ in more and better detail, but...

If you are using an "old" version of DOS (before 3.1?), it does not
recognize COM3 and COM4 and setcom might help.

If you are using a recent version of DOS (I use 3.30), the problem is
that IBM was a follower not a leader.  There is no standard for the
comm port addresses.  So Windows (Microsoft) had to choose one.  I
don't know whose they chose but a LOT of people use other addresses.

The answer is in your SYSTEM.INI file.  Check the SYSTEM*.TXT files
for the details but basically you need to alter the COMnBase to match
the address that your card actually uses.

--
Mike Lipsie
mikel%dosbears.uucp@ingres.com