From tok@slammer.UUCP Thu Apr 25 20:26:46 1991
Newsgroups: comp.os.os2.misc
From: tok@slammer.UUCP (Terry Kane)
Subject: OS/2 2.0beta availability
Date: 24 Apr 91 15:53:38 GMT

As I promised to pass on details regarding the download of OS/2 2.0beta,
here is Bulletin 3 from IBM's NSC PCUG bbs [(404) 835-6600].

Nota Bene:	IBM has placed legal restriction on redistribution of this
		code.  They are gracious enough to make it available, so
		I hope this policy will not be abused.

> We have prepared a system to download a complete set of
> OS/2 Version 2.0 BETA CODE.
>
> The phone number is (404) 835-6381.
>
> You will need to register on the new system as a new user.
>
> When you log-on to the BETA CODE BBS all you can do is download
> the OS/2 BETA CODE driver.
>
> If you have problems with the BETA CODE BBS during your
> download session, please leave a message to SYSOP in
> message base 30 of this BBS.

In conference on the NSC bbs, the sysop states that the complete download
takes ~5 hours at 9600 baud, and that the disk usage is ~18 mb.

You can not dl selectively.  If you need to reget pieces, you must start
over at the beginning.  You can not break your dl into sessions.  Users
have reported CRC errors in some pieces of the dl, have had to start over,
and have requested select-ability in the dl.

Perhaps they will modify the "start it over" restriction in the near future!

cheers.
Terry Kane daytime# +1-404-841-4881
...!emory!slammer!tok
------End Forwarded Message------

Jason Merrill
jmerrill@jarthur.claremont.edu

magid@sandstorm.Berkeley.EDU (Paul Magid) (04/27/91)

>As I promised to pass on details regarding the download of OS/2 2.0beta,
>here is Bulletin 3 from IBM's NSC PCUG bbs [(404) 835-6600].
>
>Nota Bene:	IBM has placed legal restriction on redistribution of this
>		code.  They are gracious enough to make it available, so
>		I hope this policy will not be abused.
>
>> We have prepared a system to download a complete set of
>> OS/2 Version 2.0 BETA CODE.
>>
>> The phone number is (404) 835-6381.

Is there any possibility of making this code available localy in the Bay area.
I shudder at the thought of an aproximately 20 hour long-distance download
(@ 2400 baud).

Paul

mgjones@miavx1.acs.muohio.edu (Mike (Felix) Jones) (04/27/91)

In article <1991Apr27.001330.11064@agate.berkeley.edu>, magid@sandstorm.Berkeley.EDU (Paul Magid) writes:
>>As I promised to pass on details regarding the download of OS/2 2.0beta,
>>here is Bulletin 3 from IBM's NSC PCUG bbs [(404) 835-6600].
>>
>>Nota Bene:	IBM has placed legal restriction on redistribution of this
>>		code.  They are gracious enough to make it available, so
>>		I hope this policy will not be abused.
>>
>>> We have prepared a system to download a complete set of
>>> OS/2 Version 2.0 BETA CODE.
>>>
>>> The phone number is (404) 835-6381.
>
> Is there any possibility of making this code available localy in the Bay area.
> I shudder at the thought of an aproximately 20 hour long-distance download
> (@ 2400 baud).
>

> Paul

They won't make the code available anywhere else because in order to get it
you need to call them and read the license agreement (their way of making sure
you do read it). Also, their way of deciding who is serious enough to be a beta
tester are the ones who 1) own a 9600 baud modem (translation: have money) and
2) who would call a long distance (for most) bbs and download 18 megs
(translation: people who have lots of patience and money).
They have atleast changed it so if you lose the download somewhere in the 5
hours of downloading (imagine that), you can selectively grab the parts that
you need.

Anyways, I called the bbs on last Thursday night and they have posted that they
have stopped the downloading of OS/2 2.0 Beta (at least new downloads) due
to concerns in license agreement. Hopefully, they will continue. If they do I
might just have to borrow someones 9600 and watch my phone bill skyrocket. :-)

Mike Jones
Systems Analysis
Miami University (of Ohio)

emanuele@overlf.UUCP (Mark A. Emanuele) (04/28/91)

In article <JMERRILL.91Apr26124237@jarthur.Claremont.EDU>, jmerrill@jarthur.claremont.edu (Jason Merrill) writes:
> Found this in comp.os.os2.misc:
>
> Now, anyone here live in or around Atlanta?

I called this # today and got the following message:

DUE TO CONCERNS ABOUT LICENSE PROBLEMS THE OS/2 BETA DISTRIBUTION
HAS BEEN DISCONTINUED.

I guess the policy WAS abused.  8-((((

-

--
Mark A. Emanuele
V.P. Engineering  Overleaf, Inc.

hmolotsi@pollux.svale.hp.com (Hugh Molotsi) (05/02/91)

/ pollux:comp.windows.ms / magid@sandstorm.Berkeley.EDU (Paul Magid) /  5:13 pm  Apr 26, 1991 /
>As I promised to pass on details regarding the download of OS/2 2.0beta,
>here is Bulletin 3 from IBM's NSC PCUG bbs [(404) 835-6600].
>
>Nota Bene:	IBM has placed legal restriction on redistribution of this
>		code.  They are gracious enough to make it available, so
>		I hope this policy will not be abused.
>
>> We have prepared a system to download a complete set of
>> OS/2 Version 2.0 BETA CODE.
>>
>> The phone number is (404) 835-6381.

IBM has discontinued its distribution of OS/2 2.0beta for "licensing" reasons.

How you gonna do it? You gonna OS/2 it!

yee@aix01.aix.rpi.edu (Crimson Avenger) (05/06/91)

As Jason Merrill writes:

<stuff deleted>

>As I promised to pass on details regarding the download of OS/2 2.0beta,
>here is Bulletin 3 from IBM's NSC PCUG bbs [(404) 835-6600].
>
>Nota Bene:	IBM has placed legal restriction on redistribution of this
>		code.  They are gracious enough to make it available, so
>		I hope this policy will not be abused.
>
>> We have prepared a system to download a complete set of
>> OS/2 Version 2.0 BETA CODE.
>>
>> The phone number is (404) 835-6381.
>>
>> You will need to register on the new system as a new user.
>>
>>  18 megabytes

18 megabyes?????  for OS/2 beta?  Why not just put it in a ftp in pieces
and people can just do anonymous FTP.  Imagine the phone lines being
tied up for 5 hours (at 9600baud), and I only got 2400 baud.  Someone would
have to clean up 18 meg of hard disk space for the file.  If you get a line
disconnect (unless it was Zmodem crash recovery), you would start over again.
ARGG!

There must be a better idea..

--
-- Robert aka Crimson Avenger      (yee@rpi.edu or crimson_avenger@mts.rpi.edu)