[comp.windows.ms] W4W EXTREMELY slow

alansari@copper.ucs.indiana.edu (Mohammad Al-Ansari) (05/05/91)

I was typing a paper that had a complicated formulas and just as I
started typing in the formulas (using W4W formula fields) W4W became
unbelievably slow! Updating the screen took much much longer than it
used to take. It stayed like that for a good while, until I was
convinced that this is the best W4W can do. I tried everything I could
think of but nothing helped. I ended up switching to draft mode, in
which formulae looked terrible.

But after a hours slow painful editing W4W was all of a sudden very
fast again!! With almost no noticeable difference between scrolling
plain text or complicated formulas, and I don't recall having done
anything in particular trying to fix it at that point!! Have anybody
had such a problem before? And if so could he/she tell me what was
going on and how it can be fixed? I hate to have this happen to me
again and not know what to do except to wait hoping that W4W will
all of a sudden become fast again!

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

--
Mohammad Al-Ansari
Computer Science Department

drp@dosbears.UUCP (David R. Preston) (05/05/91)

In article <1991May4.204118.2770@bronze.ucs.indiana.edu> alansari@copper.ucs.indiana.edu (Mohammad Al-Ansari) writes:

>I was typing a paper that had a complicated formulas and just as I
>started typing in the formulas (using W4W formula fields) W4W became
>unbelievably slow!
>But after a hours slow painful editing W4W was all of a sudden very
>fast again!!

I dunno, but were you doing saves during this time?  I'd suggest
if it happens again that you do a full save (not using fast save),
and see if that helps.  Also, do you have a "reasonable" amount
of memory on this machine?  (and please don't tell us that it's
a 4mhz Tasmanian pc upgraded to a 286 with 512k memory and you're
running from a floppy :-)

--
          David R. Preston      drp%dosbears.uucp@ingres.com
                   The world hadn't ever had so many

alansari@bronze.ucs.indiana.edu (Mohammad Al-Ansari) (05/05/91)

In article <298@dosbears> drp%dosbears.uucp@ingres.com (David R. Preston) writes:

>I dunno, but were you doing saves during this time?  I'd suggest
>if it happens again that you do a full save (not using fast save),
>and see if that helps.

This is something I didn't try, I will check into it and see if it
helps!

>  Also, do you have a "reasonable" amount
>of memory on this machinee (and please don't tell us that it's
>a 4mhz Tasmanian pc upgraded to a 286 with 512k memory and you're
>running from a floppy :-)

No :-) I have a Zeos 386SX with 4MB RAM and a 80Mb HD with plenty of
room available :)

>--
>          David R. Preston      drp%dosbears.uucp@ingres.com
>                   The world hadn't ever had so many
>                     moving parts or so few labels.
>          D. R. Preston 584 Castro St. #614 SF CA 94114 USA
--
Mohammad Al-Ansari
Computer Science Department
Indiana University
Bloomington, IN, USA

robert@am.dsir.govt.nz (Robert Davies) (05/06/91)

I have the same problem (Word for Windows going very slowly - say 30 seconds
to update a page) in my paper incorporating a lot of maths including symbols
and formula fields. It seemed to happen less frequently when I reduced the
number of fonts, broke the paper up into shorter segments, and removed
some of the bars and other things on the screen that I didn't need. I
am using ATM and I can't remember whether I had the same effect before I got
ATM.
Because the effect is unpredicable it is difficult to do experiments on what
helps or the exact circumstances.
I have 4 mb of memory, a 386SX (and coprocessor). It was W4W version 1.0; I
have just upgraded to 1.1 and don't know yet whether the problem persists.

The problem is now at a managable level but I would still like to know what
is going on.

Robert