[comp.windows.ms] WinQVTnet problems

harmon@odin.icd.ab.com (Larry D. Harmon) (11/16/90)

	I downloaded and installed WNQVTNET this week and I love it!

	however, I am having a couple of problems.

	1) Each time I start the application the message "packet driver
	error:0" is displayed.  After clicking the OK button all is well.

	2) MORE SERIOUS: When I do mgets from FTP the files are sent over and
	over again (multiple times) and I must manually stop the transfer.

	The packet driver I am using is not from clarkson but works well with
	NCSA telnet/ftp and FTP Software PC/TCP.

	Any ideas?

						Larry Harmon

techmgr@zeus.unomaha.edu (Ford Prefect) (05/02/91)

I am currently working on a 386sx running windows. I am trying to get WinQVTnet
working with the 3c503 board and packet drivers I am using. I keep getting the
dialog box unable to initialize network. I was wondering if anyone else has
had this problem and if so what did/have you done about it?

         Thanks for your time
             Joe Ziskovsky

Manager, Technical Services
         UNO
     Techmgr@zeus.unomaha.edu

(gotta get a signature created one of these days.......)

pwg@adl.dmt.csiro.au (Peter Goldsmith) (05/07/91)

Joe Ziskovsky writes:

>I am currently working on a 386sx running windows. I am trying to get WinQVTnet
>working with the 3c503 board and packet drivers I am using. I keep getting the
>dialog box unable to initialize network. I was wondering if anyone else has
>had this problem and if so what did/have you done about it?
>
>	 Thanks for your time
>		      Joe Ziskovsky

I have found that WnQVTnet will fail to run (with similar error messages)
if any of the NCSA programs have been run before WnQVTnet is invoked, however
the 3c503 card can present some other problems.

The 3c503 card can operate with its on board memory disabled - with PCNFS
or it can use WnQVTnet or NCSA Telnet etc with that memory enabled.

If you were aware of this and had changed the on-board jumpers to enble the
memory, the problem may be with either the packet driver that you are using,
or with the WnQVTnet configuration file (qvt_tcp.rc).

Failing all this, you could try the following

1. Grab the file w3pktdr2.zip (the Windows Packet Drivers),from the
   ~ftp/pub/pc/win3/util directory of cica.cica.indiana.edu  (129.79.20.22)

2. Extract 3c503.com and save it to disk (in the same directory that you use
   for qvtnet for e.g.).

3. The 3c503 driver requires
	a packet interrupt nuber, e.g. 0x69
	a hardware interrupt number    2
	an i/o address for the card    0x280
	a cable type parameter
	    (0 for thick, 1 for thin)  0   ***note that the docs with the
					      packet drivers have this bit
					      back-to-front.

4. The file "qvt_tcp.rc" must be modified to make it all come together.  In my
   case the lines that I modified were as follows:

pc_ip=192.83.238.6      # required, your IP number
netmask=255.255.255.0   # subnetting mask; optional
domain="adl.dmt.csiro.au"   # default domain for lookup (optional).
packet_vector=69	# packet driver int vector (hex, with NO leading '0x')
auto_start=aegir,       # list of configs to start at load time
ftp_server=on           # background FTP server: on or off
rcp_server=on           # background rcp server: on or off
nntp_host=aegir         # name of NNTP server, if available
passfile=d:\windows\qvtnet\passwd     # the passwd file used by the FTP server
ftp_logfile=d:\windows\qvtnet\ftp_log # the name of the FTP logfile
anonftp_dir=f:\ftp     # the dir to which anonymous FTP users are restricted
#
# End of Global Section
.
.
.
# Beginning of 'User Configuration' Section
# This is where your configurations will be defined
#
name=sun             # configuration name (mandatory)
host=aegir           # host name (mandatory)
host_ip=192.83.238.8 # IP address of this host.
gateway=1            # gateway level, starting with 1 (optional)
nameserver=1         # nameserver level, starting with 1 (optional)
color=white
boldcolor=green
backcolor=blue
same_as=default      # copy all other values from 'default'

4. Add the following lines to your autoexec.bat.

	<path>\3c503 0x69 2 0x280 0
	<path>\pktint.com

   Note that the two commands must be executed in sequence.

5. Boot windows and give WnQVTnet a try.

Hope that this helps.

Regards P.G.

		IBM - It may be slow but its hard to use.
| Peter W. Goldsmith,                          | Phone: (08) 2680164           |
| C.S.I.R.O. Divn. of Manufacturing Technology | FAX:   (08) 2686757           |
| P.O. Box 4,                                  | Telex:      AA88863           |
| Woodville   South Australia   5011           | Email: pwg@adl.dmt.csiro.au   |