[comp.windows.ms] Other Windows Terminal Programs?

ncc1701@itsgw.rpi.edu (Mark O. Chadwick) (05/05/91)

Hi there.  I am sick and tired of the extremely limited capabilities of the
terminal program that is included with Windows 3.

Are there:
  Modules that I can add to it to support more advanced terminal emulations?

  Better, complete packages out there? Shareware/freeware/expensiveware?

Thanks in advance for any replies.  I prefer e-mail, and if there's enough info
or requests for a summary, I shall summarize.

Thanks again

--
Mark "Emerson" Chadwick         ncc1701@rpi.edu  or  usergdes@rpitsmts.bitnet
"It has come to the attention of management that employees have been dying on

oneel@heawk1.rosserv.gsfc.nasa.gov ( Bruce Oneel ) (05/06/91)

In article <7-5gtcb@rpi.edu> ncc1701@itsgw.rpi.edu (Mark O. Chadwick) writes:

   Hi there.  I am sick and tired of the extremely limited capabilities of the
   terminal program that is included with Windows 3.

   Are there:
     Modules that I can add to it to support more advanced terminal emulations?

     Better, complete packages out there? Shareware/freeware/expensiveware?

   Thanks in advance for any replies.  I prefer e-mail, and if there's enough info
   or requests for a summary, I shall summarize.

   Thanks again

   --
   Mark "Emerson" Chadwick         ncc1701@rpi.edu  or  usergdes@rpitsmts.bitnet
   "It has come to the attention of management that employees have been dying on
   the job. This practice MUST STOP.  Any employee found dead on the job, either
   in an upright or prone position, will immediately be dropped from the payroll."

I've been quite happy with the windows version of kermit, ftp from
watsun.cc.columbia.edu in directory kermit/bin,

win30k.exe the executable
win100.wri the documentation file

Maybe some others?  I don't remember.

Quite similiar to the normal ms-kermit package, but, no tek emulation,
vt100 instead of vt300, windows interface, and no script language.

It works well.

bruce
--
| Bruce O'Neel              | internet : oneel@heasfs.gsfc.nasa.gov|
| Code 664/STX              |     span : lheavx::oneel             |

Thats me in the corner, thats me in the spotlight, losin' my religion -- rem

elmanad@leland.Stanford.EDU (Adam Elman) (05/07/91)

In article <7-5gtcb@rpi.edu>, ncc1701@itsgw.rpi.edu (Mark O. Chadwick) writes:
|> Hi there.  I am sick and tired of the extremely limited capabilities of the
|> terminal program that is included with Windows 3.
|>
|> Are there:
|>   Modules that I can add to it to support more advanced terminal emulations?
|>
|>   Better, complete packages out there? Shareware/freeware/expensiveware?
|>
|> Thanks in advance for any replies.  I prefer e-mail, and if there's enough info
|> or requests for a summary, I shall summarize.
|>
|> Thanks again
|>
|> --
|> Mark "Emerson" Chadwick         ncc1701@rpi.edu  or  usergdes@rpitsmts.bitnet
|> "It has come to the attention of management that employees have been dying on
|> the job. This practice MUST STOP.  Any employee found dead on the job, either
|> in an upright or prone position, will immediately be dropped from the payroll."

I am currently using WinQVT 4.55, which has fairly decent terminal emulations.  It does apparently have some bugs, particularly with respect to Kermit transfers, but is otherwise a nice product.

Another shareware program you might look at is Unicom 2.0.  Unicom was recently reviewed in some PC magazine (I believe PC World) in a roundup of PC term programs and came out looking very well.  It has a nice dialing directory, and quite a few nice features.

Finally, DynaComm is the "Big Brother" of Windows Terminal -- it has quite a few more features, and is supposedly very nice.

I like WinQVT.  I have used Unicom, but the shareware version only goes up to 1200 baud -- you have to register it to get 2400.  It's nagware.

DynaComm is a commercial program which I have never used, but I have seen reviewed nicely.

Later,

Adam ELman
elmanad@leland.stanford.edu

tom@mims-iris.waterloo.edu (Tom Haapanen) (05/07/91)

Mark O. Chadwick <ncc1701@itsgw.rpi.edu> writes:
> Hi there.  I am sick and tired of the extremely limited capabilities of the
> terminal program that is included with Windows 3.
>
> Are there:
>  Better, complete packages out there? Shareware/freeware/expensiveware?

I'm writing this using WinComm 1.5, a $149 commercial package (although
I think it's $99 educational).  VT102 emulation works great, downloading
is well done (CIS-B, Kermit, X/Y/Z-modem), the user interface is well done
and it includes a very competent Windows-oriented scripting language.  I'm
quite satisfied with WinComm; if anyone else is interested, I'd be happy to
give more details and/or a phone number to anyone who is interested.

[ \tom haapanen --- university of waterloo --- tom@mims-iris.waterloo.edu ]
[ "i don't even know what street canada is on"               -- al capone ]