[comp.windows.ms] Why won't Windows print?

lair@ellis.uchicago.edu (Scott A. Laird) (04/29/91)

I'm having a problem printing with Windows.  I installed most (all?) of the
ATM fonts from cica, and added the .pfb's to the softfont entries in win.ini,
but the postscript driver refuses to print when the number of softfonts being
used is greater then about 156.  If I erase #140, for instance, I can raise
the softfonts= line one higher than before, and it will still work, but if
I go one higher than that it will fail.

The symptoms are easiest to observe in WfW, where setting the softfonts line
too high causes it to grey the Print... option and refuse to show _any_ fonts
in the font selector in the ribbon.  Pagemaker and Excel will let me select
print, but give me an error saying that they can't open the printer driver.
All of those go away when I set the softfont= line to less than 156.  I read
the manual (or at least the index -- it has nothing to say that I could see,
but I checked out everything that seemed relevant.)  I read the help files
for WfW and the Postscript driver.  I read the printers.txt file and the
two winini?.txt files.  Nothing.

I'm using windows 3.0 (not 3.0a) with ATM 1.1, WfW 1.1, version 3.4a of the
postscript driver from cica, and a total of about 240 ATM fonts.

When I set windows to print to my Epson LQ-850, everything is fine, and it will
print with no errors.  It refuses to work with the Postscript printer no matter
what I do.  Since the printer (an Apple Laserwriter IINTX) is a network
printer, I tried redirecting the output to my Epson, where I could at least
get postscript code to look at, and that doesn't do it either.  I even
uninstalled ATM (by setting the system= line in sys.ini to system.drv) but
it made no difference.

The only thing I can do to get it to work is to lower the number of installed
softfonts.  Do I really have to erase half my fonts to get Windows to print,
or is there something I'm missing?  If the number was 128 or 256 I could at
least see where that would be a driver problem, but 156?

Since I haven't seen anyone else with this problem, and I'm sure that _someone_
else has tried installing all of the fonts and printing to a Postscript
printer, it seems that the problem should be something other than a bad driver.
I tried it with the old (3.3) driver and it was the same.  If anyone can help,
please either send me email or post, I'll see it.  Thanks!

--
Scott A. Laird            |  Any semblance of the above to anything is purely
lair@midway.uchicago.edu  |  coincidental, as it was the result of an infinite

leoh@hardy.hdw.csd.harris.com (Leo Hinds) (04/30/91)

In article <1991Apr28.203109.9185@midway.uchicago.edu> lair@ellis.uchicago.edu (Scott A. Laird) writes:
>I'm having a problem printing with Windows.  I installed most (all?) of the
>ATM fonts from cica, and added the .pfb's to the softfont entries in win.ini,
>but the postscript driver refuses to print when the number of softfonts being
>used is greater then about 156.  If I erase #140, for instance, I can raise
>the softfonts= line one higher than before, and it will still work, but if
>I go one higher than that it will fail.

I too ran into this problem, but did not narrow it down to 156 available
softfonts.  In my case I had installed 186 cica fonts.

>The symptoms are easiest to observe in WfW, where setting the softfonts line
>too high causes it to grey the Print... option and refuse to show _any_ fonts
>in the font selector in the ribbon.  Pagemaker and Excel will let me select

Exactly the same symptom for me.  I ended up using ATM to remove all the
fonts it knew about, & then manually edited the win.ini to remove ALL
references to softfonts ... still no change

>I'm using windows 3.0 (not 3.0a) with ATM 1.1, WfW 1.1, version 3.4a of the
>postscript driver from cica, and a total of about 240 ATM fonts.

Win 3.0a, ATM 1.1, W4W 1.1a PSDRV 3.4 from uSoft supplemental drivers disk.

>Since I haven't seen anyone else with this problem, and I'm sure that _someone_
>else has tried installing all of the fonts and printing to a Postscript
>printer, it seems that the problem should be something other than a bad driver.
>I tried it with the old (3.3) driver and it was the same.  If anyone can help,
>please either send me email or post, I'll see it.  Thanks!

I finally gave up & called uSoft W4W support ... the person did not know,
but basically re-installing the printer driver, & then again ATM (with the
107 original softfonts) puts me back where I started from in the first place.

uSoft should probably be told about this magical limit of 156 softfonts for
a PS printer, but seeing as though they did not write the driver ... it will
probably never get passed on to adobe for correction.

One thing that had struck me as a possible problem is that some of the fonts
have duplicate names ... was this enough to confuse someone (ATM/w4w/PSDRV)?

I was hoping that someone had sorted through the fonts by now, but seeing
as nobody has, I might try & do that myself.  Is there anybody out there
that understands PFB files well enough to instruct me on how to rename
fonts so that ATM will not see duplicates? ... besides the name, do I
have to change the UniqueFontID?

Thanks

leoh@hdw.csd.harris.com         	Leo Hinds       	(305)973-5229
Gfx ... gfx ... :-) whfg orpnhfr V "ebg"grq zl fvtangher svyr lbh guvax V nz n
creireg ?!!!!!!? ... znlor arkg gvzr

altman@sbstaff2.cs.sunysb.edu (Jeff Altman) (05/02/91)

In article <1991Apr28.203109.9185@midway.uchicago.edu> lair@ellis.uchicago.edu (Scott A. Laird) writes:
>I'm having a problem printing with Windows.  I installed most (all?) of the
>ATM fonts from cica, and added the .pfb's to the softfont entries in win.ini,
>but the postscript driver refuses to print when the number of softfonts being
>used is greater then about 156.  If I erase #140, for instance, I can raise
>the softfonts= line one higher than before, and it will still work, but if
>I go one higher than that it will fail.

[much deleted]

>Since I haven't seen anyone else with this problem, and I'm sure that _someone_
>else has tried installing all of the fonts and printing to a Postscript
>printer, it seems that the problem should be something other than a bad driver.
>I tried it with the old (3.3) driver and it was the same.  If anyone can help,
>please either send me email or post, I'll see it.  Thanks!

Actually, Scott, you are probably the only one who has tried to install
all of the fonts and keep all of the fonts.  I have download many fonts.
Many are of poor quality, and others are broken.  So I installed them
one at a time seeing if I liked it or not then deciding.  Of all the fonts
I currently have about 128.

The other reason for not keeping them all, is that who has the drive space
to waste on all these fonts.  You are probably keeping them on the network
so you have space to spare.  But really.

Anyway, to answer your question.  Yes, it is a limit of the Postscript
driver.  It does seem like an arbitrary number.  But keep in mind the
following.  When you print with ATM using Type 1 fonts to every other
type of printer other than a PS printer.  ATM is really printing a bitmap
image of the printed page and not fonts.  The driver doesn't know anything
about the fonts at all.  That is why you don't have a problem with non-Ps
drivers.

Now, Microsoft did not write the PS driver nor do they support it.  They
distribute it free of charge with Windows.  But the driver belongs to and
was written by Aldus.  You might consider giving them a call and mention
the limitation to them.

--
- Jeff  | Altmania Productions |================================|
 ~   ~	| 15 Yarmouth Lane     | jaltman    @ ccmail.sunysb.edu |

leoh@hardy.hdw.csd.harris.com (Leo Hinds) (05/03/91)

In article <1991May1.201553.19249@sbcs.sunysb.edu> altman@sbstaff2.cs.sunysb.edu (Jeff Altman) writes:
>Actually, Scott, you are probably the only one who has tried to install
>all of the fonts and keep all of the fonts.  I have download many fonts.
>Many are of poor quality, and others are broken.  So I installed them
>one at a time seeing if I liked it or not then deciding.  Of all the fonts
>I currently have about 128.

I (unfortunately) do not have the time (at work) to go through all the fonts
individually & weed out the ones I really want to keep, and sometimes
decide which version of the font with the same name I prefer.  So I too
tried to install all the ones I had obtained from cica.

As I responded previously to this post, I also ran into the same problems
as the original poster.  I have since contacted uSoft on two occasions
about this (neither person knew much), and subsequently called Adobe who
promptly said that there are problems in the windows handling of softfonts
that are "well known, but not acknowledged by uSoft".  The tech support
person at Adobe recommended that I keep no more than 100 (130 max) fonts
in my win.ini (system memory dependent point of failure) & have multiple
win.ini's listing all the fonts I wanted.

>Now, Microsoft did not write the PS driver nor do they support it.  They
>distribute it free of charge with Windows.  But the driver belongs to and
>was written by Aldus.  You might consider giving them a call and mention
>the limitation to them.

I am at home now (no win3), but I would have guessed that the PS driver
was written by Adobe, not Aldus ... not that that really helps as the Adobe
tech support person categorically denied their involvement in the Win3 PS driver.

kensy@microsoft.UUCP (Ken SYKES) (05/04/91)

In article <1991May1.201553.19249@sbcs.sunysb.edu> altman@sbstaff2.cs.sunysb.edu (Jeff Altman) writes:
>In article <1991Apr28.203109.9185@midway.uchicago.edu> lair@ellis.uchicago.edu (Scott A. Laird) writes:
>type of printer other than a PS printer.  ATM is really printing a bitmap
>Now, Microsoft did not write the PS driver nor do they support it.  They
>was written by Aldus.  You might consider giving them a call and mention
>the limitation to them.

Well, this isn't entirely true.  Yes, Aldus wrote the driver initially.
But now the driver is maintained by both Aldus and Microsoft.  The softfont
limitation is being looked into and if possible will be fixed for 3.1 (Of
course there are no guarantees!)

Ken Sykes
Disclaimer: The above opinions are solely my own.

altman@sbpmt.cs.sunysb.edu (Jeff Altman) (05/08/91)

In article <3237@travis.csd.harris.com> leoh@hardy.hdw.csd.harris.com (Leo Hinds) writes:
>I am at home now (no win3), but I would have guessed that the PS driver
>was written by Adobe, not Aldus ... not that that really helps as the Adobe
>tech support person categorically denied their involvement in the Win3 PS driver.

Check the About box in the driver.  Its Aldus!!!
And Aldus supports the driver via their CompuServe Forum.