[comp.windows.ms] Excel 3.0

ezf@sdchemg (Enrique Zapata) (02/01/91)

In article <1991Jan27.102726.28104@ccu.umanitoba.ca> umross27@ccu.umanitoba.ca (Christopher Winston Ross) writes:

>It was also said that it does not work correctly with the ATM.  Will
>Adobe be fixing this ?  I am _VERY_ happy with ATM and would hate to
>quit using it even for Excel.

I would say that Microsoft should be fixing this problem rather than
Adobe.  We had found so many bugs in Excel versions 2.1c and  2.1d that
it wouldn't surprise me that Excel 3.0 is as buggy handling fonts.

aaron@jessica.Stanford.EDU (Aaron Wallace) (04/11/91)

It had to be in there somehow; thanks to Computer Currents for writing how
to do it.  In Excel 3.0:

Formula Goto the *last* cell: IV16384
Scroll until this is the only cell visible, in the upper left corner of the
	screen.
Set its row height and column width to 0
Double click on the little button in the upper left corner.

Enjoy!

Aaron Wallace

dave@mgc.uucp (Dave Lockwood) (04/12/91)

In article <1991Apr10.172317.25668@leland.Stanford.EDU> aaron@jessica.Stanford.EDU (Aaron Wallace) writes:
>It had to be in there somehow; thanks to Computer Currents for writing how
>to do it.  In Excel 3.0:
>
>Formula Goto the *last* cell: IV16384
>Scroll until this is the only cell visible, in the upper left corner of the
>	screen.
>Set its row height and column width to 0
>Double click on the little button in the upper left corner.
>
>Enjoy!
>
>Aaron Wallace

and thanks to Aaron for sharing it! Can anyone email me any of the other
"hidden" stuff for any/all Windows applications? This is the first one
I've seen (although I dimly remember somthing about Word for Windows and
"OPUS"). I'd like to see the rest...

--
Dave Lockwood          dave@mgc.uucp                 G4CLI@GB7DCC._199.GBR.EU
Head of Technology           ...!uunet!mcsun!ukc!vision!mgc!dave

MG Computer Systems Ltd, PO Box 50, Doncaster, DN4 5AW +44-302-738770

herring@ENUXHA.EAS.ASU.EDU (John B. Herring) (04/29/91)

Has anyone else had Excel 3.0 crash?  It does so at no particular point.

|------------------------------------------------------------------------|
| John Herring   | herring@enuxha.eas.asu.edu | CS Grad at large         |
| "Death is not a lesson, Death is like a final exam" - george carlin -  |
|------------------------------------------------------------------------|

) (04/30/91)

In article <9104291513.AA27361@enuxha.eas.asu.edu>, herring@ENUXHA.EAS.ASU.EDU (John B. Herring) writes:
> Has anyone else had Excel 3.0 crash?  It does so at no particular point.
>
> |------------------------------------------------------------------------|
> | John Herring   | herring@enuxha.eas.asu.edu | CS Grad at large         |
> | "Death is not a lesson, Death is like a final exam" - george carlin -  |
> |------------------------------------------------------------------------|
I've been using Excel for about two weeks and had no problems.  What is your
system setup?
| Santanu Sircar                               BITNET:   ssircar@umaecs.bitnet |
| University of Massachusetts/Amherst          INTERNET: ssircar@ecs.umass.edu |

herring@ENUXHA.EAS.ASU.EDU (John B. Herring) (05/01/91)

>> Has anyone else had Excel 3.0 crash?  It does so at no particular point.
>I've been using Excel for about two weeks and had no problems.  What is your
>system setup?

386DX, 4M RAM, VGA,
It has only crashed twice, but a friend at work has had his crash
a number of times during a save.  It is not a consistent problem.

Thx,

|------------------------------------------------------------------------|

In article <9105010120.AA08144@enuxha.eas.asu.edu>, herring@ENUXHA.EAS.ASU.EDU (John B. Herring) writes:
>>> Has anyone else had Excel 3.0 crash?  It does so at no particular point.
>>I've been using Excel for about two weeks and had no problems.  What is your
>>system setup?
>
> 386DX, 4M RAM, VGA,
> It has only crashed twice, but a friend at work has had his crash
> a number of times during a save.  It is not a consistent problem.
I have 8M RAM but that shouldn't matter.  Does the problem occur when you have
other applications active?  Also, what did Microsoft say?

calloway@hplvec.LVLD.HP.COM (Frank Calloway) (05/03/91)

In comp.windows.ms, herring@ENUXHA.EAS.ASU.EDU (John B. Herring) writes:

> Has anyone else had Excel 3.0 crash?  It does so at no particular point.

Microsoft sent me a free copy of Excel 3.0 and I've used it on two
80386-based systems.  I've yet to see a problem with it, and I'm
running plenty of extra software on the system: QEMM memory manager,
disk caching, network drivers, and such.

Frank Calloway

billp@hplsla.HP.COM (Bill Pritchard) (05/08/91)

> Has anyone else had Excel 3.0 crash?  It does so at no particular point.

A not-so-fun way to get it to crash is to have about 20 to 30 embedded
charts in your spreadsheet.  Then try to print it.  You will be lucky if
all you get as an UAE instead of locking up the whole computer!  Microsoft
has no solution yet.

			-- Bill

Bill Pritchard                           Internet: billp@hplsla.lsid.HP.COM
Hewlett Packard Company                                 Phone: 206-335-2567
Lake Stevens Instrument Division                          FAX: 206-335-2828