[comp.windows.ms] How about a list of updates at cica?

magid@sandstorm.Berkeley.EDU (Paul Magid) (04/27/91)

It strikes me as being a good idea to have a list of all new uploads to
cica.  I do believe that the site is moderated and the service would
not be too much effort, and I would benifit users greatly.

Paul

mr@ogre.cica.indiana.edu (Michael Regoli) (04/30/91)

In <1991Apr27.005127.15710@agate.berkeley.edu>
magid@sandstorm.Berkeley.EDU (Paul Magid) writes:

>It strikes me as being a good idea to have a list of all new uploads to
>cica.  I do believe that the site is moderated and the service would
>not be too much effort, and I would benifit users greatly.

>Paul

Speak for yourself!  :)

If you are running Unix, you can create your own list of recent
uploads from the INDEX file.

The following set of commands will give you the most recent ten
uploads to cica.  (This doesn't include those files in the "uploads"
directory since we don't catalog them into the INDEX file until
they've been placed in the proper location.)

grep -v \* INDEX | sed -e 's/\n//' | awk '{print $2, $1}' | sort -rn | head -10

Ugly, eh?

I don't think posting this would be a benefit to anyone.  Those with
ftp access normally get a copy of the INDEX on a daily basis anyway.

--

michael regoli
mr@cica.indiana.edu

brian@cunixf.cc.columbia.edu (Brian Hoffman) (05/01/91)

In article <1991Apr30.162306.3744@cica.indiana.edu> mr@ogre.cica.indiana.edu (Michael Regoli) writes:
>In <1991Apr27.005127.15710@agate.berkeley.edu>

>Ugly, eh?
>
>I don't think posting this would be a benefit to anyone.  Those with
>ftp access normally get a copy of the INDEX on a daily basis anyway.
>
>mr@cica.indiana.edu

Yeah right, those of us with ftp access get the INDEX file daily, and then
have to hunt through the whole damn thing just to get the descriptions of the
recent stuff.

It would make it a whole lot more convenient if you would make a separate
file containing the weekly uploads and their descriptions.  But then again,
this is UNIX, nothing is simple.

-brian
______

she's staring as the lights are curling off into the dark. and the fuel
tank's erupting underneath a rain of sparks. and the birds all leave the
tree down in the corner of the park. with his neck bent back on the top of
the seat, he looks so relaxed despite the heat.

keating@rex.cs.tulane.edu (John Keating) (05/01/91)

brian@cunixf.cc.columbia.edu (Brian Hoffman) writes:

> mr@ogre.cica.indiana.edu (Michael Regoli) writes:

>> I don't think posting this would be a benefit to anyone.  Those with
>> ftp access normally get a copy of the INDEX on a daily basis anyway.

> It would make it a whole lot more convenient if you would make a separate
> file containing the weekly uploads and their descriptions.  But then again,
> this is UNIX, nothing is simple.

Perhaps, instead of a separate file, Michael (remember, folks, he keeps cica
moving out of the foodness of his heart) could, when adding new titles to
the index, place a special character, (#, $, *, etc...) to each line with
that day's new upload.  A quick, dirty program could probably be written to
remove the previous day's marks before he updates it.

John Keating
--
 +---------------------------------------+ +---------------------------+
 | Looking for genealogical histories of | | keating@rex.cs.tulane.edu |

dalbrich@oregon.uoregon.edu (05/01/91)

Perhaps a compromise... (which is easy to do)

I've noticed the INDEX file on cica lacks dates on files.  With
the date of creation touched to be appropriate, anyone scaning the
INDEX file can see what is new.
-Dan
..

elmanad@leland.Stanford.EDU (Adam Elman) (05/01/91)

In article <1991Apr30.162306.3744@cica.indiana.edu> mr@ogre.cica.indiana.edu (Michael Regoli) writes:
>In <1991Apr27.005127.15710@agate.berkeley.edu>
>magid@sandstorm.Berkeley.EDU (Paul Magid) writes:
>
>>It strikes me as being a good idea to have a list of all new uploads to
>>cica.  I do believe that the site is moderated and the service would
>>not be too much effort, and I would benifit users greatly.
>
>>Paul
>
>Speak for yourself!  :)
>
>If you are running Unix, you can create your own list of recent
>uploads from the INDEX file.
>
>The following set of commands will give you the most recent ten
>uploads to cica.  (This doesn't include those files in the "uploads"
>directory since we don't catalog them into the INDEX file until
>they've been placed in the proper location.)
>
>grep -v \* INDEX | sed -e 's/\n//' | awk '{print $2, $1}' | sort -rn | head -10
>
>Ugly, eh?
>
>I don't think posting this would be a benefit to anyone.  Those with
>ftp access normally get a copy of the INDEX on a daily basis anyway.
>
>--
>
>michael regoli
>mr@cica.indiana.edu
>regoli@iubacs.BITNET
>..rutgers!iuvax!cica!mr

Now speak for YOURSELF!

I don't mean to flame, but I have ftp access and I only check cica
every week or so -- I don't have enough time or need to check daily.
I don't think that UNIX command a)is particularly rememberable for
everyone (OK, I could make it into a script, but I'm not sure how to
do so.), and b)isn't useful if there have been more than 10 new
downloads!

If you, as the cica administrator (I believe you are, right?) believe
that putting together an update index every time you make changes to
the INDEX (simply listing the changes, perhaps) would be a pain in the
butt, then say so.  Personally, I feel that it would benefit a lot
more people than you seem to think.

Obviously, the decision is yours, but I think you are using faulty
reasoning there.

Adam Elman
elmanad@leland.stanford.edu

riehm@maccs.dcss.mcmaster.ca (Carl Riehm) (05/02/91)

No-one has yet mentioned the file  ls-ltR (or something like that) in the
win3 directory.  If I'm not mistaken, it has a listing of all files in
reverse chronological order, so all you have to do is check the first few
items...    Carl Riehm.

burhans@mizar.usc.edu (Mustang Sally) (05/02/91)

In article <7255@rex.cs.tulane.edu> keating@rex.cs.tulane.edu (John Keating) writes:
>brian@cunixf.cc.columbia.edu (Brian Hoffman) writes:
>
>Perhaps, instead of a separate file, Michael (remember, folks, he keeps cica
>moving out of the foodness of his heart) could, when adding new titles to

I'd like to take this opportunity to publically thank Michael for
the "foodness of his heart" and for his recent help with a problem I
was having.

>the index, place a special character, (#, $, *, etc...) to each line with
>that day's new upload.  A quick, dirty program could probably be written to
>remove the previous day's marks before he updates it.

Would it be very difficult to include in the index a date that the file
was uploaded OR a date of file creation or something? That would do
it for me. Thanks.

--
Jackie Burhans (burhans@usc.edu)
Data Stylist, USC Student Affairs

regoli@bronze.ucs.indiana.edu (Michael Regoli) (05/02/91)

dalbrich@oregon.uoregon.edu writes:

>I've noticed the INDEX file on cica lacks dates on files.

Wrong.  New for the Spring 1991 season are file creation dates in all
the index files.  The date is in YYMMDD format for easy sorting.

>>>I don't think posting this would be a benefit to anyone.  Those with
>>>ftp access normally get a copy of the INDEX on a daily basis anyway.
>>>
>>>mr@cica.indiana.edu
>>
>> Yeah right, those of us with ftp access get the INDEX file daily, and then
>> have to hunt through the whole damn thing just to get the
>> descriptions of the recent stuff.
>> -brian brian@cunixf.cc.columbia.edu (Brian Hoffman)

Spoken like a true New Yorker(tm) :)  Believe it or not, of the
approximately 1,700 logins per day to cica, 99% are login sessions
UNDER A MINUTE.  I'm figuring this is due to the success of the
"autoftp" or "batchftp" programs that are out there.  These
connections are probably snarfing the INDEX file and that's it.

Hey, it's no big deal to create a "Top Ten" or "Top Twenty" or "Top
Whatever" list of the most recent uploads that can reside in the win3
subdirectory.  POSTING this file on a regular basis is another.

>>grep -v \* INDEX | sed -e 's/\n//' | awk '{print $2, $1}' | sort -rn | head -10

>>I don't think that UNIX command a)is particularly rememberable for
>>everyone (OK, I could make it into a script, but I'm not sure how to
>>do so.), and b)isn't useful if there have been more than 10 new
>>downloads!
>> Adam Elman (elmanad@leland.stanford.edu)

True, it's not particuarly easy to remember, but just cut out the one
line, place it in a file, and "chmod u+x filename".  That's all you
need to do.  Just type the filename to execute the command.

(Note the "head -10" command extracts the first ten lines.  To see them all,
omit that last command.)

Anyhow, posting this file has several implications.  Main among them
is the size of my mailbox.  Placing a file list like this opens up
E-Mail Hell.  No offense, but UUCP and BITNET sites will go crazy
contacting me (or the anonymous posting service) trying to get ahold
of these files.  Second, I don't want comp.windows.ms to become
cannabalized into comp.windows.ms.cica.  Third, I'm still "stinging"
from the discussion in comp.binaries.ibm.pc.d about the merits of
regular advertisements from quasi-successful ftp sites (see point
two).

--

michael regoli

s902114@minyos.xx.rmit.oz.au (Zen [Stuart Bishop]=) (05/03/91)

elmanad@leland.Stanford.EDU (Adam Elman) writes:

:-)In article <1991Apr30.162306.3744@cica.indiana.edu> mr@ogre.cica.indiana.edu (Michael Regoli) writes:
:-)>In <1991Apr27.005127.15710@agate.berkeley.edu>
:-)>magid@sandstorm.Berkeley.EDU (Paul Magid) writes:
:-)>
[...]

Here here! A lot people who use this newsgroup are actually WINDOWS users
rather than UNIX users.

Echoing again: If it can be done easily, would you please do it.
			   If not, fine. Don't. We still love you for making this
				service available to us. :-)
--

 _____                      Two elephants fell off a cliff. Boom Boom.

--

sph0301@UTSPH.SPH.UTH.TMC.EDU (Kate Wilson) (05/08/91)

>>If you are running Unix, you can create your own list of recent
>>uploads from the INDEX file.

But what about those of us using VMS or anything else other than Unix?

>>I don't think posting this would be a benefit to anyone.  Those with
>>ftp access normally get a copy of the INDEX on a daily basis anyway.

I don't know about the rest of you, but I'm lucky to have time to get
the INDEX on a weekly basis, much less daily!