[comp.windows.ms] Word Perfect for Windows 3.0, Sneak Preview!

mmshah@athena.mit.edu (Milan M Shah) (04/17/91)

Hi!

I went to a sneak preview of Word Perfect for Windows, and I thought some
people here might be interested.

The product demo was very slick. Its completely wysiwyg, but has a draft mode
that shows all the old "codes" that show up in wp5.1 for dos. In wysiwyg mode,
it seemed quite snappy (much faster than word for windows I thought), running
on a 16 MHz SX laptop with 5 Megs. Neat button bar feature where you could
create buttons for frequently used commands. Impressive table and multi column
features, just click on a button in the ruler and select the dimensions of the
table or # of columns. Has very nice graphics capabilities, and can include
wpg, pcx, tiff, bmp, and windows meta file graphics. Its File Open dialog box
even has a "view" button that lets you preview a file (even graphics files!).
File conversion from other formats supported from within the main app, no
need to run separate utility. It has what the person called a 1500 character
library, including math symbols, greek, and many other foreign languages,
including Japanese. Also a Cyrillic (sp?) character set, which, apparently, was
used to draft all of Gorby's speeches in November.

It will come with its own printer drivers (some 900 it seems) which can print
all these characters (It can also use the predefined windows printer drivers).
Equation editor works, but you can't get out of it; it gives you a UAE. Oh yeah
it has some sort of page layout capability; when you place a graphic in the
middle of two columns, the text in both columns automatically flows around the
picture! Of course, you can move the graphic around simply by dragging it
around. Some sort of macro language puported to be even more powerful than
whatever word for windows has is also there. Also, it will have everything that
WP 5.1 for DOS had.

In short, I was very impressed. I have NEVER used word perfect, and used to
use word for windows many moons ago, and in comparison, I am definitely tempted
to become a wp user. Right now, I am getting by on Microsoft Write. I mention
this for two important reasons:

a) I DO NOT want to give the impression that I am a veteran word perfect user,
   and that it is my mission to make sure all net users switch to it, and
   thereby spark yet another flame war.

b) To substantiate that my impression has a chance of being objective.
   (Doubtful for a variety of other reasons!!)

In any case, Windows users, excitement is on the horizon! (Unfortunately, he
didn't give a release date, except to say that it wasn't released in the first
quarter as promised!)

Milan
.

tek@ms.uky.edu (Thomas E. Kunselman) (04/17/91)

re: release date.

I just called wordperfect yesterday (April 16) to find out about upgrading.
I was told they are taking orders for upgrades, but that they don't expect
to be shipping until June or July.
--
Thomas Kunselman                              {rutgers,uunet}!ukma!tek
Institutional Research and Planning       	bitnet: vaatek@ukcc.bitnet
#7 Administration Building			internet:tek@ms.uky.edu
University of Kentucky

07790@tanus.oz.au (Brant Campbell) (04/26/91)

Word perfect for Windows - but the 900 or so printer drivers are separate from
Windows printer drivers - more confusion, more problems, more headaches and
who owns Windows.

UUCP: {munnari}!jabaru!anthos!tanus!07790
INET: 07790@tanus.oz.au

elmanad@leland.Stanford.EDU (Adam Elman) (04/27/91)

In article <288@jabaru.oz.au> 07790@tanus.oz.au (Brant Campbell) writes:
>Word perfect for Windows - but the 900 or so printer drivers are separate from
>Windows printer drivers - more confusion, more problems, more headaches and
>who owns Windows.
>

>UUCP: {munnari}!jabaru!anthos!tanus!07790
>INET: 07790@tanus.oz.au

All the information that I've heard says that the user has a choice of
using EITHER the WordPerfect printer drivers or simply using the
Windows printer drivers.  Some of the WordPerfect drivers are simply
superior to the Windows drivers...But they're NOT necessary to use the
software!

Adam Elman
elmanad@leland.stanford.edu

kps@cunixb.cc.columbia.edu (Karthik P Sheka) (04/27/91)

In article <288@jabaru.oz.au> 07790@tanus.oz.au (Brant Campbell) writes:
>Word perfect for Windows - but the 900 or so printer drivers are separate from
>Windows printer drivers - more confusion, more problems, more headaches and
>who owns Windows.
>UUCP: {munnari}!jabaru!anthos!tanus!07790
>INET: 07790@tanus.oz.au

From what I've read, the printer drivers that are set up by windows will
work wit Word Perfect for Windows.  The extra drivers are a supplement that
will work only with word perfect.

--Karthik Sheka
---LSD melts in your mind, not in your hands.

fahole@cc.usu.edu (04/30/91)

In article <1991Apr27.090536.5868@leland.Stanford.EDU>, elmanad@leland.Stanford.EDU (Adam Elman) writes:
> In article <288@jabaru.oz.au> 07790@tanus.oz.au (Brant Campbell) writes:
>>Word perfect for Windows - but the 900 or so printer drivers are separate from
>>Windows printer drivers - more confusion, more problems, more headaches and
>>who owns Windows.
>>

>>UUCP: {munnari}!jabaru!anthos!tanus!07790
>>INET: 07790@tanus.oz.au
>
> All the information that I've heard says that the user has a choice of
> using EITHER the WordPerfect printer drivers or simply using the
> Windows printer drivers.  Some of the WordPerfect drivers are simply
> superior to the Windows drivers...But they're NOT necessary to use the
> software!
>
> Adam Elman
> elmanad@leland.stanford.edu
--
In addition, WFW also includes drivers for printers not supported by windows
so it's really nothing new or earthshaking.

ntaib@silver.ucs.indiana.edu (Nur Iskandar Taib) (04/30/91)

>In any case, Windows users, excitement is on the horizon! (Unfortunately, he
>didn't give a release date, except to say that it wasn't released in the first
>quarter as promised!)

The Orem people said June 91 when they gave us our
demo. Betas will be out pretty soon I hear. The demo
was given with a pre-alpha copy.

Iskandar Taib                        | The only thing worse than Peach ala
Internet: NTAIB@AQUA.UCS.INDIANA.EDU |    Frog is Frog ala Peach
Bitnet:   NTAIB@IUBACS               !

dgustafs@yoda.eecs.wsu.edu (05/02/91)

In article <1991Apr29.111210.47600@cc.usu.edu> fahole@cc.usu.edu writes:
>In addition, WFW also includes drivers for printers not supported by windows
>so it's really nothing new or earthshaking.

I think that anyone who currently uses WP can attest to that fact that
WordPerfect 5.1 does more to support every printer in existance than any
other piece of software on the PC.  True, printer support beyond win
drivers is not new, but to current WP users, the news that we will still have
full WP printer drivers is very assuring.  From what the grapevine says,
the people in Orem have something to be proud of.

A biased WordPerfect User,
Dave
David Gustafson - EECS  Washington State University - dgustafs@yoda.eecs.wsu.edu

defaria@hpcupt3.cup.hp.com (Andy DeFaria) (05/08/91)

>/ hpcupt3:comp.windows.ms / dgustafs@yoda.eecs.wsu.edu /  2:39 am  May  2, 1991 /
>
>I think that anyone who currently uses WP can attest to that fact that
>WordPerfect 5.1 does more to support every printer in existance than any
>other piece of software on the PC.

They also tend to pollute your hard drive with unnecesary stuff! :0)