[comp.windows.ms] Need A Windows 3.0 Monitor > 21" And > 1280 x 1024 Resolution

Will@cup.portal.com (Will E Estes) (05/03/91)

Can someone identify for me a monitor, monochrome or color, that
is greater than 21" and supports a very high resolution, preferrably
something on the order of 2048 x 1280?

I recently purchased a monochrome 19" monitor with 1280 x 960 resolution
for use with Windows 3.0, and it is incredible.  I have started to
realize that you just can't get enough desktop, and honestly if
I could buy a 30" monitor with 2048 x 1280 resolution and a *good*
Windows 3.0 driver I would get it.  Please note that a large
monitor without a card and Windows 3.0 driver that produce and exploit
extra pixels is not worth much.  I need something that gives me a total
solution.  Please courtesy copy responses directly to me.

Thanks,
Will Estes        Internet: Will@cup.portal.com
                  UUCP: apple!cup.portal.com!Will

gwe@cbnews.cb.att.com (george.w.erhart) (05/04/91)

In article <41952@cup.portal.com> Will@cup.portal.com (Will E Estes) writes:
>I have started to realize that you just can't get enough desktop, and
>honestly if I could buy a 30" monitor with 2048 x 1280 resolution and
>a *good* >Windows 3.0 driver I would get it.

On a similar vein ... I have always been impressed by the Macs ability to
handle a multihead display. Is there any way to do this in a PC and have
Windows recognize/handle both displays? From what I know about the PC hardware,
there are some severe restrictions. BUT, if an 8514/A type display can
co-exist with a VGA card, why can't a Windows display driver allow both
the VGA and the 8514/A to be used at the same time. (Assuming that you had
two monitors.)

--
George Erhart
AT&T Bell Laboratories

ergo@netcom.COM (Isaac Rabinovitch) (05/09/91)

In <1991May4.132027.11659@cbnews.cb.att.com> gwe@cbnews.cb.att.com (george.w.erhart) writes:

>In article <41952@cup.portal.com> Will@cup.portal.com (Will E Estes) writes:
>>I have started to realize that you just can't get enough desktop, and
>>honestly if I could buy a 30" monitor with 2048 x 1280 resolution and
>>a *good* >Windows 3.0 driver I would get it.

>On a similar vein ... I have always been impressed by the Macs ability to
>handle a multihead display. Is there any way to do this in a PC and have
>Windows recognize/handle both displays? From what I know about the PC hardware,
>there are some severe restrictions. BUT, if an 8514/A type display can
>co-exist with a VGA card, why can't a Windows display driver allow both
>the VGA and the 8514/A to be used at the same time. (Assuming that you had
>two monitors.)

I believe you need a special video card.  I've heard of a company
(forget the name, sorry) which is selling a video card that can drive
up to *9* monitors at once -- and it comes with a Windows driver that
lets you use all 9 as a single "desktop".  Needless to say, it costs.
--

	ergo@netcom.com 			Isaac Rabinovitch
	netcom!ergo@apple.com			Silicon Valley, CA

  "You might well think that... I couldn't possibly comment."