[comp.windows.ms] Word For Windows Help

nll@cbnewsb.att.com (neal.l.leitner) (04/24/91)

I am using Word version 1.1 in windows 3.0.  I have set up a special
directory c:\winword\doc for all my document files.  When I go to open
a file, it always defaults to my c:\windows directory.  Is there any
way to get the open command to look at my other directory??

Thanks for any help!

Neal Leitner

press@venice.SEDD.TRW.COM (Barry Press) (04/26/91)

In article <1991Apr24.121603.23113@cbfsb.att.com> nll@cbnewsb.att.com (neal.l.leitner) writes:
>I am using Word version 1.1 in windows 3.0.  I have set up a special
>directory c:\winword\doc for all my document files.  When I go to open
>a file, it always defaults to my c:\windows directory.  Is there any
>way to get the open command to look at my other directory??

There are (at least) two basic ways to do what you want:

1.	If you tend to launch winword from an icon in the program manager, then
	you can go into file properties for the icon and set the path for
	winword -- i.e., the program to execute would become
	c:\winword\doc\winword.exe.  As long as c:\winword is in your path,
	this does what you want.  You have to ignore the error message
	when you hit OK, and after you set this up you have to go back
	in and change the icon back to the right winword file.

2.	You go into WordBASIC and put an autoopen macro into your normal
	template.  I think there's some stuff on cica.cica.indiana.edu
	to do this.

--
Barry Press                                 Internet: press@venice.sedd.trw.com

yip@ztivax.UUCP (Dr Yeung-Cho Ip) (05/06/91)

nll@cbnewsb.att.com (neal.l.leitner) writes:

> I am using Word version 1.1 in windows 3.0.  I have set up a special
> directory c:\winword\doc for all my document files.  When I go to open
> a file, it always defaults to my c:\windows directory.  Is there any
> way to get the open command to look at my other directory??
>
> Thanks for any help!
>
> Neal Leitner

My way of doing it: I set up a makro called "AutoExec". This Makro is
automatically started when invoking WINWORD. The contents of the makro is:

Sub MAIN
ChDir "c:\winword\doc"
End Sub

Of course, this is for the German version of Winword 1.1, but I assume that
it works in the english one as well!

Hope that helps,

Michael Franzen

Michael Franzen, c/o yip@ztivax.siemens.com, Siemens AG, Munich

sip1@quads.uchicago.edu (Timothy F. Sipples) (05/06/91)

In article <5042@ztivax.UUCP> yip@ztivax.UUCP (Dr Yeung-Cho Ip) writes:
>> I am using Word version 1.1 in windows 3.0.  I have set up a special
>> directory c:\winword\doc for all my document files.  When I go to open
>My way of doing it: I set up a makro called "AutoExec". This Makro is
>automatically started when invoking WINWORD. The contents of the makro is:
>Sub MAIN
>ChDir "c:\winword\doc"
>End Sub

Sage advice -- that's the way I do it.  However, I've now noticed that if I
double click on a file in, say, the DOS Executive (or presumably File
Manager) that is not in that default subdirectory (nor in a subdirectory on
the PATH), Word for Windows won't be able to find it.  I thought Windows
passed the entire path.  Or is Word just getting confused?

T.F.S.
Timothy F. Sipples				sip1@quads.uchicago.edu

jrk4078@ritvax.isc.rit.edu (KIEFER, JR) (05/07/91)

In article <5042@ztivax.UUCP>, yip@ztivax.UUCP (Dr Yeung-Cho Ip) writes...
>nll@cbnewsb.att.com (neal.l.leitner) writes:
>>
>> I am using Word version 1.1 in windows 3.0.  I have set up a special
>> directory c:\winword\doc for all my document files.  When I go to open
>> a file, it always defaults to my c:\windows directory.  Is there any
>> way to get the open command to look at my other directory??
>>
>> Thanks for any help!
>>
>> Neal Leitner
>
>My way of doing it: I set up a makro called "AutoExec". This Makro is
>automatically started when invoking WINWORD. The contents of the makro is:
>
>Sub MAIN
>ChDir "c:\winword\doc"
>End Sub

You could also change the start up directory when you call winword from the
Program Manager.  From the Program Manager select "FILE PROPERTIES..."
and change the path in the "COMMAND LINE:" parameter to the path to your
document directory.  In your case, for the "COMMAND LINE:" parameter, you would
put "C:\WINWORD\DOC\WINWORD.EXE".  This will tell the Program Manager to go to
your DOC directory and then start WINWORD.  You must, however, have a path to
"C:\WINWORD" in your AUTOEXEC.BAT, which I would guess you already have since
you appear to be starting WINWORD from your C:\WINDOWS directory.

07790@tanus.oz.au (Brant Campbell) (05/09/91)

Alter the FileOpen macro by choosing Macro Edit and clicking the Showall
option then change it just like editing any normal macro.

Brant - Microsoft Australia.

UUCP: {munnari}!jabaru!anthos!tanus!07790
INET: 07790@tanus.oz.au