[comp.windows.ms] Need help with W4W UAE

emills@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu (Evan Mills) (05/09/91)

I have a replicable problem with Word for Windows that I would really
appreciate some help with.  I'm using the educational version of W4W
in standard mode and after doing a bit of work pressing the PgUp and
PgDn keys results in an Unrecoverable Application Error.

I'm using Word for Windows 1.1 under Windows 3.0 on an IBM AT with
1 Mb of XMS and 358Kb of EMS.  I've also got Super PC-Kwik 3.53
and a packet driver loaded.

Needless to say, this is getting more than a bit annoying.
Any help would be gladly welcomed.

Thanks!
	--- Evan
--
Evan Mills, Programmer/Patriot Missile Launcher                    "Hug me."
Illinois State Water Survey                                   "Who ARE you?"

press@venice.SEDD.TRW.COM (Barry Press) (05/10/91)

In article <1991May8.202920.5447@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu> emills@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu (Evan Mills) writes:
>I have a replicable problem with Word for Windows that I would really
>appreciate some help with.  I'm using the educational version of W4W
>in standard mode and after doing a bit of work pressing the PgUp and
>PgDn keys results in an Unrecoverable Application Error.
>
>I'm using Word for Windows 1.1 under Windows 3.0 on an IBM AT with
>1 Mb of XMS and 358Kb of EMS.  I've also got Super PC-Kwik 3.53
>and a packet driver loaded.

I can't directly help you, but I can relate what I've done with a different
UAE from WfW 1.1.  My problem has been that doing a print preview on most
docs gives the UAE very soon after starting to paint the text.  (this is
with win 3.00a too).  I started eliminating and changing things, and found
that if I went from the LaserJet to the TTY driver that the problem went
away.  Not terribly useful, but progress.  I got a hold of HP driver
distribution (sorry, phone # lost on the desk) and they sent the new driver.
No cigar -- it was for the LJIII.

I can also get UAE's irregularly when formatting tables.

Finally, I had a replicable UAE running a macro which went away when I
found and removed an upper memory conflice (in my case, I have vga+mda, and
needed to set DualDisplay=True).

The point is that WfW seems to be senstive to problems in the Win setup that
other software might not mind, so try stripping the setup down to the
bare minimum and building back up.

--
Barry Press                                 Internet: press@venice.sedd.trw.com