[comp.windows.ms] qemm/windows crash

colaluca@cs.utexas.edu (Mark Colaluca) (05/06/91)

I have encountered a problem with QEMM and Windows.  If I want to load my
Stacker.com device driver (39K) into high memory, I have to use space in
either D000-DFFF or E000-EFFF.  As some of you might know, the page frame
for QEMM must take up 64K of contiguous high memory, usually at E000-EFFF.
Windows, however, seems to crash when the page frame is placed here.  Adding
X=E000-EFFF to my QEMM device line cures this problem, but then there is no
room for the stacker device driver.  Does anyone know why Windows does not
like an E000-EFFF page frame, and if so, how one can use D000-DFFF and cause
Windows to like me having stacker in E000-EFFF.  I have tried adding
EMMExclude=E000-EFFF to my [386enh] section, but this doesn't help.  It seems
that if I try to load anything in the E000-EFFF range (be it QEMM's page
frame or the stacker device driver), Windows crashes upon trying to open
any Windows application.  Thanks in advance for any info, e-mail responses
preferred.

I'll post any relevant repsonses to this newsgroup.

Thanks,

Mark Colaluca (colaluca@cs.utexas.edu)

brim@cbmvax.commodore.com (Mike Brim - Product Assurance) (05/06/91)

In article <19727@cs.utexas.edu> colaluca@cs.utexas.edu (Mark Colaluca) writes
> I have encountered a problem with QEMM and Windows.  If I want to load my
> Stacker.com device driver (39K) into high memory, I have to use space in
> either D000-DFFF or E000-EFFF.  As some of you might know, the page frame
> for QEMM must take up 64K of contiguous high memory, usually at E000-EFFF.
> Windows, however, seems to crash when the page frame is placed here.  Adding
> X=E000-EFFF to my QEMM device line cures this problem, but then there is no
> room for the stacker device driver.  Does anyone know why Windows does not
> like an E000-EFFF page frame,....

 Qemm and Windows(386 mode) do work while Qemm uses E000H-EFFFH for page frame.
I suspect your problem lies with another program other then Qemm that may be
conflicting with Qemm at that location.  Use MFT to search through your memory.

Disclaimer: I don't speak for my company or myself.

Mike Brim			     |	Commodore Electronics Limited
PC Analyst - System Evaluation Group | 	West Chester, PA 19380
Product Assurance		     |	InterNet: brim@cbmvax.commodore.com

tonyd@hplsla.HP.COM (Tony DeMartino) (05/08/91)

There is also an EMMFrame you can add to your system.ini as well but I dont
know if this will help as the EmmExclude should do the same thing. But if
you are using Win3.0 in Enhanced mode, why do you need Expanded memory. Just
set Qemm up for NO Ems and you will also gain your "E" page back.

cchapman@msd.gatech.edu (Chuck H. Chapman) (05/10/91)

In <3130065@hplsla.HP.COM> tonyd@hplsla.HP.COM (Tony DeMartino) writes:

>There is also an EMMFrame you can add to your system.ini as well but I dont
>know if this will help as the EmmExclude should do the same thing. But if
>you are using Win3.0 in Enhanced mode, why do you need Expanded memory. Just
>set Qemm up for NO Ems and you will also gain your "E" page back.

Because you might want to run something outside of Windows that uses
Expanded memory.

Chuck

--
Charles H. Chapman  (GTRI/MATD)             (404) 528-7588
* Home of the 1990 National Champion Ga. Tech Yellow Jackets *