[net.followup] Farley Mowat

rick@uwmacc.UUCP (the absurdist) (05/12/85)

Chris Lewis (utzoo!mnetor!clewis) writes
>		Farley Mowat was denied entry
>into the States to promote one of his books.  He is (last I heard on
>the news) considered to "consort with known Communists" because he
>refused to be "debriefed" by the RCMP and U.S. agencies after his six
>month visit to the USSR ...

According to the newspaper report I read, Mowat's name was on the list
because in the 60s, he stated publicly that he had used a high-powered
rifle to take potshots at American fighter planes as a form of protest
against America.  He has confirmed this statement several times.
	Famous or not, most countries are reluctant to allow lunatics
into their borders.  Assuming this newspaper report was true regarding
Mowat's statements, I wouldn't let him in either;  and if I was a
Canadian, I'd wonder why no one tried to prosecute him for attempted
murder, sabotage, etc.
	I don't support censoring Communists because they are Communists
(let alone those who "consort" with them);  I do support keeping the
lid on people who resort to violence as a means of political self-
expression.

--
"We've taken out all the bugs in the software
 and installed new and improved bugs."

shindman@utcs.UUCP (Paul Shindman) (05/14/85)

In article <1066@uwmacc.UUCP> rick@uwmacc.UUCP (Rick Keir) writes:

>According to the newspaper report I read, Mowat's name was on the list
>because in the 60s, he stated publicly that he had used a high-powered
>rifle to take potshots at American fighter planes as a form of protest
>against America.  He has confirmed this statement several times.
>Rick Keir -- MicroComputer Information Center, MACC

Hate to disappoint you, Rick, but Mowat threatened to use a .22 against
b-52's flying at about 30000 feet. Obviously a symbolic threat only.
Not only that, but it was a threat only, he never claimed to have actually
shot at one (at least in the canadian press).

The goofiest part of the whole story was the US customs officials who offered
to meet him in the middle of the Peace Bridge on the Canada-US border
(over the Niagra River!) to discuss his case. (the middle of the bridge
consists of 4 lanes of traffic, and maybe a sidewalk)
--
-----------------
Paul Shindman, U of T Computing Services, Toronto (416) 978-6878

peter@yetti.UUCP (Runge) (05/23/85)

In article <1066@uwmacc.UUCP> rick@uwmacc.UUCP (Rick Keir) writes:
>Chris Lewis (utzoo!mnetor!clewis) writes
>>		Farley Mowat was denied entry [into the US]
>
>According to the newspaper report I read, Mowat's name was on the list
>because in the 60s, he stated publicly that he had used a high-powered
>rifle to take potshots at American fighter planes as a form of protest
>against America.  He has confirmed this statement several times.

But in several versions! The one I like is where he and his drinking buddy
row out into the St. Lawrence and fire their sealing gun (range 100 feet?)
at the B-52s overhead.  By the way, I don't think he ever said he had
actually done this -- just that he would if the Americans didn't stop
overflying him with H-bombs.

>	Famous or not, most countries are reluctant to allow lunatics
>into their borders . .

Contrary to what many Americans believe, disliking the US and having
a wicked sense of humor is not evidence of lunancy.  I get the impression
that for Farley, things worked out beautifully -- he didn't have to go
on the book publicity tour (which he probably hates ... many writers do)
to LA (which is about as far from Farley's concept of a desirable place
to be as possible) and he got to trot out his old "shooting at the B-52's"
joke from 1968 again + all the free publicity!

--

   Peter H. Roosen-Runge, Department of Computer Science, York University
                          Toronto (Downsview), Ontario

clewis@mnetor.UUCP (Chris Lewis) (05/23/85)

In article <181@yetti.UUCP> peter@yetti.UUCP (Peter Roosen-Runge) writes:
>Contrary to what many Americans believe, disliking the US and having
>a wicked sense of humor is not evidence of lunancy.  I get the impression
>that for Farley, things worked out beautifully -- he didn't have to go
>on the book publicity tour (which he probably hates ... many writers do)
>to LA (which is about as far from Farley's concept of a desirable place
>to be as possible) and he got to trot out his old "shooting at the B-52's"
>joke from 1968 again + all the free publicity!

The one I like most of all (when the U.S. official suggested that they
meet in the middle of the Peace Bridge to discuss FM's file) was that
FM refused ever to enter the U.S. again, unless Air Force 1 flew to
Ottawa carrying an official apology to fetch him.
--
Chris Lewis,
UUCP: {allegra, linus, ihnp4}!utzoo!mnetor!clewis