[comp.windows.ms] Windows keys

fw3@prism.gatech.EDU (F. L. Winn) (05/08/91)

 When using Windows, what is the key sequence for minimizing or
   maximing a window?  Sometimes it's faster just to use the keys
	than the mouse.
 Anybody have any suggestions reply here or E-mail ....
	Mail: fw3@prism.gatech.edu
--
WINN,FREDERICK LEIGH
Internet: fw3@prism.gatech.edu

chryses@xurilka.UUCP (Phong Co) (05/09/91)

On May 7, fw3@prism.gatech.EDU (F. L. Winn) wrote:

> When using Windows, what is the key sequence for minimizing or
>   maximing a window?  Sometimes it's faster just to use the keys
>	than the mouse.

All standard Windows features are accessible from the keyboard, but
not all of them are simple.  To maximize/minimize a window, you have
to select the Minimize/Maximize feature in the system box.  Press the
Alt key to highlight the system box.  You may have to use the right
arrow several times if the window you want is a child window.  Press
return to pull down the system menu, and voila!

>WINN,FREDERICK LEIGH
>Georgia Institute of Technology, Atlanta Georgia, 30332
>Internet: fw3@prism.gatech.edu

Phong.

Phong T. Co		|
chryses@xurilka.UUCP	|	Nice girls don't explode.
dada Indugu Inc.	|			-- Dave Sim (Cerebus #110)
Montreal, CANADA	|

cchapman@msd.gatech.edu (Chuck H. Chapman) (05/10/91)

In <28392@hydra.gatech.EDU> fw3@prism.gatech.EDU (F. L. Winn) writes:

> When using Windows, what is the key sequence for minimizing or
>   maximing a window?  Sometimes it's faster just to use the keys
>	than the mouse.
> Anybody have any suggestions reply here or E-mail ....
>	Mail: fw3@prism.gatech.edu
>--

Minimize: Alt-Space then N
Maximize: Alt-Space then X

Chuck
--
Charles H. Chapman  (GTRI/MATD)             (404) 528-7588
* Home of the 1990 National Champion Ga. Tech Yellow Jackets *

kentfo@polari.UUCP (Kent Forschmiedt) (05/10/91)

>On May 7, fw3@prism.gatech.EDU (F. L. Winn) wrote:
>> When using Windows, what is the key sequence for minimizing or
>>   maximing a window?  Sometimes it's faster just to use the keys

I mailed a reply to F.L. Winn, but somebody posted a wrong answer, and
there are few things that annoy me more than seeing the wrong answer posted
to an innocent and impressionable world, so here is the right answer:

ALT-SPACE opens the system menu.  N selects the minimize option, and
X selects maximize.  ALT-SPACE,N will minimize a window, ALT-SPACE,X
will maximize it.  ALT-SPACE,R will restore it to the normal condition.
--
Kent Forschmiedt ... kentfo@polari ... uw-beaver!sumax!polari!kentfo

tneff@bfmny0.BFM.COM (Tom Neff) (05/11/91)

Note: Alt-Space N/X works great for minimizing/maximizing your CURRENT
window.  The original poster asked about minimizing SOME window.  If
it's not your current window, you'll need more keystrokes.