[comp.windows.ms] MS Word,PCNFS, QEMM problem

petersja@debussy.cs.colostate.edu (james peterson) (05/02/91)

A new problem has come up in my neverending quest to get PCNFS, Win3,
MS WORD, and Advanced Telnet all working at the same time.

The short story is:  Advanced Telnet (a product that is *supposed* to
allow multiple telnet sessions to run simultaneously under Win3, and which
works with PCNFS) takes up so much memory that MS Word will no longer
run.  I installed QEMM and after some playing around released enough
memory for MS Word to run under Windows.  The problem is that in order
to print within Word (using PCNFS) one must execute the PCNFS command
"net print" from the DOS shell within Word.  Doing this causes the screen
to colorfully display a screenfull of blinking characters (
looks like the entire character set), then the screen goes white, and the
machine locks up in a major way.  It must be turned off to reboot.  The
only other way to release a print job is to exit Word, which is not always
convenient.

Any Ideas or suggestions are welcome....

--
james lee peterson				petersja@CS.ColoState.edu
dept. of computer science

geoff@hinode.East.Sun.COM (Geoff Arnold @ Sun BOS - R.H. coast near the top) (05/03/91)

Quoth petersja@debussy.cs.colostate.edu (james peterson) (in <14660@ccncsu.ColoState.EDU>):
# The problem is that in order
#to print within Word (using PCNFS) one must execute the PCNFS command
#"net print" from the DOS shell within Word.  Doing this causes the screen
#to colorfully display a screenfull of blinking characters (
#looks like the entire character set), then the screen goes white, and the
#machine locks up in a major way.  It must be turned off to reboot.  The
#only other way to release a print job is to exit Word, which is not always
#convenient.

Alternatively, use the timeout option. If 5 minutes is too long,
tweak your AUTOEXEC to start PRT with a "-tNN" switch, which
sets the timeout to NN seconds. Thus

	PRT -t5 *

gives you a 5 second timeout, which is usually adequate unless you
print horribly complicated graphics that WfW has to munge over....

There is another way to kick the PC-NFS spooler, which I've emailed
to many people but (I realize from grep'ing through the archives)
I've never posted to comp.protocols.nfs. Here it is:

------------------------BEGIN-CODE-FRAGMENT-------------------------
/* This uses Microsoft C; adjust for your own preferred tools. */

#include <dos.h>
#define LP_PRINT_FILE           0x063
#define LP_STAT_OK              0
#define PRINTER_INTERRUPT       0x17

spool_print(n)
int n; /* set to 0: LPT1, 1: LPT2, 2: LPT3, -1: all */
{
        union REGS inregs, outregs;
        inregs.h.ah = LP_PRINT_FILE;
        inregs.x.bx = n;
        inregs.x.dx = (n < 0 ? 0 : n);
        int86(PRINTER_INTERRUPT, &inregs, &outregs);
        if (outregs.h.ah != LP_STAT_OK) {
                /* failure - details unimportant here */
        }
}
--------------------------END-CODE-FRAGMENT-------------------------

This works for all versions of PC-NFS up to and including 3.5. No
guarantee about future compatibility, but we'll do our best.

Cheers,
Geoff

-- Geoff Arnold, PC-NFS architect, Sun Microsystems. (geoff@East.Sun.COM)   --
--     Sun Microsystems PC Distributed Systems ...                          --
--            ... soon to be a part of SunTech (stay tuned for details)     --

wnp@iiasa.AT (Wolf PAUL) (05/07/91)

petersja@debussy.cs.colostate.edu (james peterson) writes:
> memory for MS Word to run under Windows.  The problem is that in order
> to print within Word (using PCNFS) one must execute the PCNFS command
> "net print" from the DOS shell within Word.  Doing this causes the screen
> to colorfully display a screenfull of blinking characters (
> looks like the entire character set), then the screen goes white, and the
> machine locks up in a major way.  It must be turned off to reboot.  The
> only other way to release a print job is to exit Word, which is not always
> convenient.

Actually, you do not have to exit Word -- you just need to execute a
DOS "exit" call. An easy way to do this from within WinWord is to
create a macro which looks like this:

Sub MAIN
Shell "command.com /c exit"
End Sub

and then "Assign to Menu", say, under "File NetPrint".

This will make your screen go temporarily blank, but WfW should come
back in a second, and your printer queue should be flushed.
There is even a way to do this entirely in the background so your
screen does not get disturbed at all, but I don't have the time to
look it up right now.

Under Word for DOS (either 4.0 or 5.0) you can likewise create a macro
which does a "Library Run" of command "exit".

Sorry I have no suggestions for your TELNET problems, but this should
help with Word.
--
W.N.Paul, Int. Institute f. Applied Systems Analysis, A-2361 Laxenburg--Austria
PHONE: +43-2236-71521-465            INTERNET: wnp@iiasa.iiasa.ac.at

09381@tanus.oz.au (Shane Pascoe) (05/13/91)

Instead of using PCNFS "Net Print" command, try using the "Remote Command
Shell" if this set correctly you can print to any number of printers (and not
just three) and the "RSH" command takes up less memory than "Net PRINT". Also
I would recommend 386Max as a memory manager as both Qualitas and Microsoft
worked hand in hand on the Win3.0 compatability of this product and many of
these can be found in DOS 5.0.

Shane Pascoe
Corporate WorkGroup Resources
Sydney Australia

UUCP: {munnari}!jabaru!anthos!tanus!09381
INET: 09381@tanus.oz.au

09381@tanus.oz.au (Shane Pascoe) (05/13/91)

The screen problem is due to the wrong screen type being set in the Word 4.0 /
5.0 installation.