[comp.windows.ms] w3/atm/w4w problem

"stephen feldman" <stephen.feldman@canrem.uucp> (05/10/91)

I'm nearly at my wits end with this problem, and I'm hoping someone on
the net can help...

I've got W3.0 using ATM 1.0 and W4W 1.1 and finding that after loading
W3 in 386 enh mode, ATM comes up ok, but when I load W4W the font list
is completely empty.

My printer is set for Postscript (Apple NTXII) and set for LPT1 (if set
to FILE, all I see is the basic 35 postscript fonts).  In my WIN.INI, I
have a list of 230 softfonts under the PostScript,LPT1 header line,
along with the basic postscript settings.

ATM.INI is loaded with the same 230 softfonts (in the same order as the
WIN.INI file) with its basic settings.

Aside of the W4W problem of not seeing these fonts, here's the kicker...
If I load Excel 3.0 or PowerPoint 1.0, both see all of the softfonts
listed in the WIN.INI, but both claim that they can't find the
postscript driver!!

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Stephen

PS. The system is a Toshiba T8500/25 (386 @ 25MHz, with a 200 Mg HDD)

PPS. This system WAS working fine at one point, and I'm not sure what
     has changed to cause this problem.
--
Canada Remote Systems.  Toronto, Ontario
NorthAmeriNet Host

leoh@hardy.hdw.csd.harris.com (Leo Hinds) (05/13/91)

In article <1991May10.1187.8233@canrem.uucp> "stephen feldman" <stephen.feldman@canrem.uucp> writes:
>I've got W3.0 using ATM 1.0 and W4W 1.1 and finding that after loading
>W3 in 386 enh mode, ATM comes up ok, but when I load W4W the font list
>is completely empty.

You may or may not have noticed a post I made last week about a similar
problem, but it basically boils down to that Win3 does not appear to handle
>130 PS softfonts.  The "failure mode" appears to differ by application, but
symptoms I have seen include an empty fontlist & the application believing
that it has no printer to print to.

At this point we are just going to have to wait for a fix.

Does anybody know it this problem affects other softfonts (for a non PS
printer)? ... there are people that post here with HP printers that don't
appear to run into these difficulties ...

leoh@hdw.csd.harris.com         	Leo Hinds       	(305)973-5229
Gfx ... gfx ... :-) whfg orpnhfr V "ebg"grq zl fvtangher svyr lbh guvax V nz n
creireg ?!!!!!!? ... znlor arkg gvzr