[comp.windows.ms] Windows and Novell

fleming@.glasgow.ac.uk (Anne-Marie Fleming) (05/08/91)

I am currently trying to run Windows 3 with Novell 386 .
I have windows on my hard disk and various applications on the Novell server.

I have been trying to set the default directory for my windows utilities to
my home directory on the Novell server.

I have  tried the restoredrive=false line in my system.ini file but this doesn'tseem to have any affect. When I re-launch windows , the defaults for paintbrush
, write and calendar are back to the c: drive and the windows directory.

Has anyone out there succeeded in using the restoredrive option for this
purpose ?

Or is there an alternative way to change these defaults ?

Thanks in advance .

Any help is greatly appreciated

Anne Marie
Dept of Computing Science
Glasgow University
SCOTLAND

--

   Anne Marie Fleming
   Glasgow University

ntaib@silver.ucs.indiana.edu (Nur Iskandar Taib) (05/11/91)

Here is another "problem" with Novell and windows. When one
does a File Open, the dialog box that contains subdirectories
does not contain the .. entry anymore. Consequently, moving
backwards in the subdirectory structure is slightly more te-
dious (one types .. where you usually type the filename).

Also, file manager doesn't respect the MAPping of Novell
drives, reverting to the root, which makes it REALLY tedious
to get where you want to go (especially if there are 250
users on your server).

Iskandar Taib                        | The only thing worse than Peach ala
Internet: NTAIB@AQUA.UCS.INDIANA.EDU |    Frog is Frog ala Peach
Bitnet:   NTAIB@IUBACS               !

victoro@crash.cts.com (Victor O'Rear) (05/13/91)

This sounds like a fault in the shell.cfg file not properly setting some
Novell options, including mapping and dot substitutions.

What's in your shell.cfg file? Sorry, for asking - but my Novell documentation
is at work but I'm certain I'm on the right track.

|  Victor O'Rear {hplabs!hp-sdd, cbosgd, ucsd, nosc.mil}!crash!victoro       |
|  USnail: P.O. Box 3972, La Mesa, California  92044, United States of America|
|  mil : crash!victoro@nosc.ARPA and work: (619) 571-1222                    |

hls@rwthinf.UUCP (Hans-Ludwig Stahl) (05/13/91)

ntaib@silver.ucs.indiana.edu (Nur Iskandar Taib) writes:
>Here is another "problem" with Novell and windows. When one
>does a File Open, the dialog box that contains subdirectories
>does not contain the .. entry anymore. [...]

Try the line "Show Dots = On" in your SHELL.CFG file.

>Also, file manager doesn't respect the MAPping of Novell
>drives, [...]

Use "map root ..." instead of "map ..."

So long
	Hans-Ludwig Stahl (hls@informatik.rwth-aachen.de)