[comp.windows.ms] help with i486.....

smith@muvms3.bitnet (Phil smith) (05/13/91)

O.K., I'm desperate.

I have a new 33mhz i486 machine that is driving me bananas! Here's
my problem(s):

	1.  It will not run Dbase III+, nor will it even install Dbase
	    IV!  Both installs are from original Diskettes, so there is
	    no problem relating to copy protection or such. (Please don't
	    send me e-mail telling me to get foxbase or some other such
	    stuff; I already use those products as well -- that's not
	    the point!)  When attempting to run III+,the screen goes dark,
            the prompt comes up that says 'Enter a dbase commmand' and
	    then the computer dies.  When attempting to install IV, I see
            the logo screen (of course) and then the screen goes dark, a
            box is drawn on the screen, and then ...
	    you guessed it- nothing!

	2.  When attempting to run Windows 3.0 with my network (PCSA 3.2),
            I cannot use the 386 specific mode.  When I try the computer
	    freezes.  In standard mode everything is fine. When I boot up
	    in 'stand alone' mode it works great, even though I
	    am using the same configuration with the exeption of the
	    LAD device driver in config.sys.  (I am posting this to several
            newsgroups, so I apologize to those who are not familiar with
	    the PCSA environment.)  Also the MEMMAN utility crashes with
	    an error message similar to basics old 'divide by zero' error.

	3.  I can't install AT&T's Lan Manager software.  I get a
	    consistent 'Not ready reading drive x' error message,
	    regardless as to what drive I use, A:,B: or even C:.
	    (This really irks me, as the computer is an AT&T machine
	    with AT&T network cards.)

If you think you might be able to help, please email me at the address
below, and I'll give you more details as to machine configuration and
software environment.  I will not go into greater depth on the net, because
I don't want to tie up bandwidth; nor do I wish to inconvience readers who
don't wish to hear my sorrows.

Thanks in advance,

Phil Smith
smith@marshall.bitnet
smith@marshall.edu
smith@muvms3.wvnet.edu

gooey@helix.nih.gov (Sean Graham) (05/14/91)

In article <47413@muvms3.bitnet> smith@muvms3.bitnet (Phil smith) writes:
>I have a new 33mhz i486 machine that is driving me bananas! Here's
>my problem(s):
>
>	1.  It will not run Dbase III+, nor will it even install Dbase
>	    IV!  Both installs are from original Diskettes, so there is

	I just got a 486/33 and had to switch to the lower speed to do
	some things.  My ALR does it with the CNTL-ALT-[+ or -] keys.

	Sorry, can't help with the rest as I'm not all that familiar
	with networks.  Good Luck.

	Sean

--
|| Sean N. Graham                 NIH                 BIX: sean.graham      ||
|| '91 GSX600FM | '85 RX-7    Bethesda, Md            gooey@helix.nih.gov   ||