[comp.windows.ms] Enh Mode Problem...

Frank_Murray@mindlink.bc.ca (Frank Murray) (05/01/91)

I recently installed Windows 3.0 on one of the 386's in the office.  The
machine has 4 megs of extended ram, a 40 meg harddrive with 15 megs free, and a
Hercules Clone video.  The problem is that Windows 3.0 will only run in Real or
Standard mode.  Windows will not run in Enhanced mode.  I have tried
re-installing Windows, but to no avail.
The config.sys is as follows:
files = 30
buffers = 20
device = c:\himem.sys
device = c:\dos\ansi.sys
device = c:\dos\smartdrv.sys 1024 512

The autoexec.bat is as follows:

echo off
cls
c:\dosaphics
win

If I try to force Windows into enhanced mode (win /3) the machine hangs up.  I
am using MS-DOS 4.01.

I am currently using Windows 3.0 on my 386 at home in enhanced mode with no
problems!  (I have been running Windows 3.0 since it came out)

Any suggestions greatfully appreciated!

Frank
--
Frank Murray   |   a523@MindLink.UUCP
Vancouver, BC  |

David_Dave_Tamashiro@cup.portal.com (05/06/91)

What kind of mouse driver do you have.   I was the problems you
described until I changed my mouse driver.  (I have a logictech).
Try configuring your windows to run in "NO MOUSE" mode.  If that works,
than you need a new mouse driver.

Dave

colfelt@news.colorado.edu (COLFELT ANDREW BRINTON W) (05/15/91)

Frank_Murray@mindlink.bc.ca (Frank Murray) writes:

>I recently installed Windows 3.0 on one of the 386's in the office.  The
>machine has 4 megs of extended ram, a 40 meg harddrive with 15 megs free, and a
>Hercules Clone video.  The problem is that Windows 3.0 will only run in Real or
>Standard mode.  Windows will not run in Enhanced mode.  I have tried
>re-installing Windows, but to no avail.
>The config.sys is as follows:
>files = 30
>buffers = 20
>device = c:\himem.sys
>device = c:\dos\ansi.sys
>device = c:\dos\smartdrv.sys 1024 512

>If I try to force Windows into enhanced mode (win /3) the machine hangs up.  I
>am using MS-DOS 4.01.
>I am currently using Windows 3.0 on my 386 at home in enhanced mode with no
>problems!  (I have been running Windows 3.0 since it came out)

My experience with Windows defaulting to standard mode when Enhanced mode is
desired, is that Windows thinks there isn't enough memory to go into Enh.
mode.
My first answer to your problem would have been to check the amount of memory
you give to SmartDrv, but seeing that you have gobs, this shouldn't be the
problem.  The next thing I would check is the effect of changing Buffers = 20.
I've had problems with this value when running SmartDrv...Microsoft told me
that when SmartDrv is running Buffers need only be = 10, because SmartDrv
itself makes up for the difference.  This was a hard fact to swallow being
weened from DOS where anything less than 20 was unthinkable, given 2Mb+ of RAM.

Try this change on the system you have that does work, and I'll bet you
notice a system speed improvement.  Let me know how it works out.

Andrew
colfelt@tramp.colorado.edu