[comp.windows.ms] W4W and picture positions

einstein@wam.umd.edu (Daniel J. Levine) (05/07/91)

I am trying to do something very simple-- I think-- in W4W v1.1.
I would like to have 2 pictures (1 in the upper left and 1 in the
upper right corner of a page, both butted up against and inside the
margins).  I also would like to have text that is centered between
the two pictures.  It should look kinda like this:

  |                                               |
  |  Picture1                           Picture2  |
  |  Picture1       Centered Text       Picture2  |
  |  Picture1                           Picture2  |
  |                                               |
  |  Regular Text...                              |

The only way I have been able to accomplish this is to use 2 sections.
The first has 3 columns.  In the first column is Picture1, in the second
is the centered text, and in the third is Picture 2.  In the second section,
I only have one colummn.

Is there a better way to do this?  I would expect that there would be but
this was the best I could do.  I've tried what they said about moving the
pictures when in the print preview, but they won't move in this case for me.
(Of course I can't figure out why that is either.)

Any help would be appreciated.

Emc2

Joe Sample - University of Merryland, College Park
jsample@wam.umd.edu (This is a sample signature file)

tim@int13.hf.intel.com (Timothy E. Forsyth) (05/08/91)

einstein@wam.umd.edu (Daniel J. Levine) writes:
>I am trying to do something very simple-- I think-- in W4W v1.1.
>I would like to have 2 pictures (1 in the upper left and 1 in the
>upper right corner of a page, both butted up against and inside the
>margins).  I also would like to have text that is centered between
>the two pictures.  It should look kinda like this:
>
>  +-----------------------------------------------+
>  |                                               |
>  |  Picture1                           Picture2  |
>  |  Picture1       Centered Text       Picture2  |
>  |  Picture1                           Picture2  |
>  |                                               |
>  |  Regular Text...                              |

Sounds like you are not using the FormatPosition command.

First of all, make sure that you are using paragraphs correctly.  You
should only see the Paragraph Mark (backward P) at the end of each
paragraph, not the end of each line.  Either let W4W autowrap or use
Shift+Enter for each line, you should see the graphic enter arrow on
the right of the line when you have Show All set.

Next, make sure Picture1, Centered Text, Picture2, and Regular Text are
all seperate paragraphs.  Select Picture1, choose the FormatPosition command,
and set it to Left relative to Margin and Top relative to Margin, for the
Centered Text paragraph, Centered relative to Margin and Top relative to
Margin, Picture2 should be Right relative to Margin and Top relative to
Margin.  Depending on what Centered Text contains (is it a text paragraph
or a heading?) you may have to add some Shift+Enter lines before the text
and some FormatParagraph Spacing After lines, so the Regular Text does not
push up into the Centered Text Area.  Also, you can place the Centered Text
paragraph either before, between or after the Picture paragraphs, the text
from the Text paragraphs will flow automatically between the Pictures.

Hope this helps,

Tim Forsyth

--
Tim Forsyth, Intel Corp., Desktop Computer Division, Hillsboro, Oregon, USA
Internet: tim@int13.intel.com or Tim_Forsyth@ccm.hf.intel.com

drp@dosbears.UUCP (David R. Preston) (05/08/91)

In article <1991May7.155136.9370@wam.umd.edu> einstein@wam.umd.edu (Daniel J. Levine) writes:
>I am trying to do something very simple-- I think-- in W4W v1.1.

It's not as simple as it should be (hint hint for Microsoft).

>I would like to have 2 pictures (1 in the upper left and 1 in the
>upper right corner of a page, both butted up against and inside the
>margins).  I also would like to have text that is centered between
>the two pictures.
>
>Is there a better way to do this?  I would expect that there would be but
>this was the best I could do.  I've tried what they said about moving the
>pictures when in the print preview, but they won't move in this case for me.
>(Of course I can't figure out why that is either.)

You must first transform the picture into an object.  This magical
transformation is accomplished by selecting the picture (by clicking
on it, not highlighting it), and changing something(anything) in the
format position dialog box.  I usually change the "Horizontal Position
Relative to" to page, but any change will let it know that you want
to objectify.

1.  Center the text
2.  Insert the first picture somewhere else on the page.
3.  Insert the second picture, with at least a space between it
    and the first (sometimes it thinks that both are to be part
    of the same object).
4.  Turn them into objects (separately).
5   Go to print preview.
6.  Turn boundaries on.
7.  Use the mouse to position the objects.

W4W is fascist (in the sense used bu Jim Seymour in the current
"PC Magazine") in its layout; it doesn't let you get things "too
close" together.  I've actually crashed the program trying to
arrange something exactly the way I wanted it.  BTW, blocks of
text can also be made into objects.  Also, objects can only be
positioned on the page which contains the picture or text comprising
the object....

--
          David R. Preston      drp%dosbears.uucp@ingres.com
                   The world hadn't ever had so many

drp@dosbears.UUCP (David R. Preston) (05/08/91)

In article <1991May7.155136.9370@wam.umd.edu> einstein@wam.umd.edu (Daniel J. Levine) writes:
>I am trying to do something very simple-- I think-- in W4W v1.1.

I forgot to mention in my previous post on this subject that the book
"Working with Word for Windows" (Microsoft Press) by Russell Borland
shows you how to do the stuff they sort of hint at in the User's
Reference.

--
          David R. Preston  (can't talk to ingres since
       they upgraded uucp, so  drp%dosbears.uucp@pyramid.com)

keiths@spider.co.uk (Keith Smith) (05/08/91)

Simple.
put a centre tab in the middle of the line,
put a right tab on the rh margin.
separate the picture.. words.. picture with tabs and it will
do what you want.

keith

colfelt@news.colorado.edu (COLFELT ANDREW BRINTON W) (05/15/91)

einstein@wam.umd.edu (Daniel J. Levine) writes:

>I am trying to do something very simple-- I think-- in W4W v1.1.
>I would like to have 2 pictures (1 in the upper left and 1 in the
>upper right corner of a page, both butted up against and inside the
>margins).  I also would like to have text that is centered between
>the two pictures.  It should look kinda like this:

>  +-----------------------------------------------+
>  |                                               |
>  |  Picture1                           Picture2  |
>  |  Picture1       Centered Text       Picture2  |
>  |  Picture1                           Picture2  |
>  |                                               |
>  |  Regular Text...                              |

>The only way I have been able to accomplish this is to use 2 sections.
>The first has 3 columns.  In the first column is Picture1, in the second
>is the centered text, and in the third is Picture 2.  In the second section,
>I only have one colummn.

>Is there a better way to do this?  I would expect that there would be but
>this was the best I could do.  I've tried what they said about moving the
>pictures when in the print preview, but they won't move in this case for me.
>(Of course I can't figure out why that is either.)

>Any help would be appreciated.

Assuming you are able to import the pictures into your document, try the
following, once you've entered the text and centered it:

Picture 1 (upper left):
1. Select the picture
2. Format Position
3. Horiz. Align. = Left relative to Margin
4. Vert. Align.  = TOP relatvive to Margin
5. OK

Picture 2 (upper right)
1. see above, noting differences of Right and TOP

Positioning objects causes text that occupied the positions you specify to
be pushed out of the way and wrap around the forced position objects.

Experiment!  BTW, attempting to position objects by dragging them in Print
Preview is sometimes ineffective, i.e., position changes of a single increment
will not take effect.  Use the mouse pointer to reveal the coordinates of the
UPPER LEFT HAND CORNER of the object's desired position and then when you
format position, set horiz. and vert. align. to the 100th of an inch.

Andrew
colfelt@tramp.colroado.edu