[comp.windows.ms] Using Lotus 3.1 under Windows

morin@pleiades.cps.msu.edu (Michelle Morin) (05/11/91)

I have a problem when I try to use Lotus 1-2-3 v. 3.1 under Windows.
I can multi-task Lotus with other programs (such as Harvard Graphics
and WordPerfect 5.1), but when I try to connect to the mainframe
(using telnet) and then switch back to Lotus, I can no longer open
any files (I get the message "Can't get reservation).  My computer
is not on a network, and I am not accessing these files when I
use the communications program, but Lotus seems to "switch" to network
mode since that is the only time you need to worry about "reserving"
files.  I've tried to contact support at Lotus, but didn't get any
solutions.  Has anyone else had similar problems with Lotus under
windows 3.0.

Hardware we are using is a 386sx machine with 4MB of RAM.

Any help would be appreciated!

Michelle Morin

Michelle Morin                   | morin@pleiades.cps.msu.edu   ||

colfelt@news.colorado.edu (COLFELT ANDREW BRINTON W) (05/15/91)

morin@pleiades.cps.msu.edu (Michelle Morin) writes:
>I have a problem when I try to use Lotus 1-2-3 v. 3.1 under Windows.
>I can multi-task Lotus with other programs (such as Harvard Graphics
>and WordPerfect 5.1), but when I try to connect to the mainframe
>(using telnet) and then switch back to Lotus, I can no longer open
>any files (I get the message "Can't get reservation).  My computer
>is not on a network, and I am not accessing these files when I
>use the communications program, but Lotus seems to "switch" to network
>mode since that is the only time you need to worry about "reserving"
>files.  I've tried to contact support at Lotus, but didn't get any
>solutions.  Has anyone else had similar problems with Lotus under
>windows 3.0.

This is a VERY tentative answer:  1-2-3 is a "protected-mode" application.
Your switching may be accessing the BUS in a way that conflicts with the
protected requirement of 1-2-3.  I don't know for sure...

Andrew
colfelt@tramp.colrado.edu