[comp.windows.ms] Has anyone used a NEC-4D with Win3.0 and 1024x768?

jclose@potomac.ads.com (Jeff Close) (05/10/91)

I'm considering getting a NEC Multi. 4D for use with Windows
under 1024 res.  I've got an Orchid ProII board.  Has anyone
used this combination, or any other board for that matter,
and if so, have you had any problems?

--
---------------------------------v------------------------------------
InterNet: jclose@ads.com         | VoiceNet: 703-243-1611

tneff@bfmny0.BFM.COM (Tom Neff) (05/11/91)

In article <1991May10.145422.7897@potomac.ads.com> jclose@potomac.ads.com (Jeff Close) writes:
>I'm considering getting a NEC Multi. 4D for use with Windows
>under 1024 res.  I've got an Orchid ProII board.  Has anyone
>used this combination, or any other board for that matter,
>and if so, have you had any problems?

It works great.  It's working now as I type this.  I use the Boca
instead of the Orchid but they're both ET4000.

The only thing I'll say is that if you decide to run the 1024x768 non
interlaced, you'll have to put up with >CLICK!< from the NEC whenever a
DOS app switched to full screen character mode, and back.  It's annoying
enough that I stick with interlaced just at the moment.

goris@hpfcdj.HP.COM (Andy Goris) (05/14/91)

I Have a 4D used with a Diamond Speedstar+ (Tseng-4000 based) SVGA in
1024x768 mode and I love it.  There is a tiny click, as mentioned, when
switching from DOS applications to hi-res mode, but on my 4D it's really
unnoticeable.  The 4D is crisp, and the digital storage of screen sizes
is excellent - you can freely switch between different resolutions without
ever readjusting the horizontal and vertical size and positions.   I use
1024x768 non-interlaced almost exclusively.

I've seen them priced from $940 to $1150 mail-order, but a review ~three months
ago in one of the PC magazines said you can get them for $800 (I don't
beleive it).

There is one problem I've had, and that is scrolling performance when running
DOS in a window, or when running the terminal emulator that comes with
Windows 3.0.  It's annoyingly slow.  I don't know if this is because of the
BIOS drivers that Diamond ships, or what --- everyone always says such
good things about the Tseng chip set that I would suspect this to be a
driver problem, not a hardware problem.

I'll be calling Diamond sometime this week to see what they say.  Other
than that, I've been very happy with the card and NEC 4D.

Andy Goris           goris@hpfclm.hp.com

tneff@bfmny0.BFM.COM (Tom Neff) (05/15/91)

In article <17350002@hpfcdj.HP.COM> goris@hpfcdj.HP.COM (Andy Goris) writes:
>I Have a 4D used with a Diamond Speedstar+ (Tseng-4000 based) SVGA in
>1024x768 mode and I love it.  There is a tiny click, as mentioned, when
>switching from DOS applications to hi-res mode, but on my 4D it's really
>unnoticeable.  The 4D is crisp, and the digital storage of screen sizes
>is excellent - you can freely switch between different resolutions without
>ever readjusting the horizontal and vertical size and positions.   I use
>1024x768 non-interlaced almost exclusively.

Other than the click, the only little issue I have with the 4D is the
TIME it takes to resync, and the fact that the screen stays black during
that time.  If you wrote a program that did five fairly quick mode
changes, I might miss the middle 4 of them.  Not too vital I suppose.

>There is one problem I've had, and that is scrolling performance when running
>DOS in a window, or when running the terminal emulator that comes with
>Windows 3.0.  It's annoyingly slow.

It must be the Windows driver's fault, because native graphics stuff is
lightning fast on my 486 box and yet, yes, Windows graphics "text"
scroll is slow.  I hate @#%@!%# graphics scrolling anyway, and won't use
any of the native WinApp terminal packages as a result.  I like YAM in
full screen for real work.

>                                    I don't know if this is because of the
>BIOS drivers that Diamond ships, or what --- everyone always says such
>good things about the Tseng chip set that I would suspect this to be a
>driver problem, not a hardware problem.

Well it's not the BIOS, that's unused by Windows.  There are some
"generic" ET4000 drivers from Tseng that are faster than the 1990 stuff
most board makers are shipping; they're on CICA and you might try them.