[comp.windows.ms] TERMINAL.EXE and Unix CURSES

defaria@hpcupt3.cup.hp.com (Andy DeFaria) (05/08/91)

Does  anybody know exactly  what I need  to do  to  get Window 3.0 terminal
emulator to be  able to talk to Unix  and  pay attention to Unix CURSES  so
that I can use it to read an post notes?

More detail:

I would like to  be able to  use terminal.exe to  dial into a Unix box.   I
managed to do this at one time but when I tried to read note I  got a bunch
of escape sequences and it looked, in general,  pretty ugly.   I have a 286
Classic Vectra.  I  configured it as a  Generic TTY.  I  am logging  into a
Unix box at work.

elmanad@leland.Stanford.EDU (Adam Elman) (05/13/91)

In article <45950006@hpcupt3.cup.hp.com> defaria@hpcupt3.cup.hp.com (Andy DeFaria) writes:
>Does  anybody know exactly  what I need  to do  to  get Window 3.0 terminal
>emulator to be  able to talk to Unix  and  pay attention to Unix CURSES  so
>that I can use it to read an post notes?
>
>More detail:
>
>I would like to  be able to  use terminal.exe to  dial into a Unix box.   I
>managed to do this at one time but when I tried to read note I  got a bunch
>of escape sequences and it looked, in general,  pretty ugly.   I have a 286
>Classic Vectra.  I  configured it as a  Generic TTY.  I  am logging  into a
>Unix box at work.

Try using VT100 emulation.  As an alternative to TERMINAL.EXE, you
might try FTPing WinQVT from cica.cica.indiana.edu -- I just got the
latest version, 4.65, from the uploads directory (yeah, I know, but
I'm impatient.)

TERMINAL.EXE DOES have VT100 emulation, but it has some bugs.
Configuring it as a generic TTY won't work, though, since that means
it doesn't understand escape codes.

There are a few other VT100 emulators for Windows, but I have been
using WinQVT for a while and it works for me.

Later,
Adam Elman
elmanad@leland.stanford.edu

dcc@hpopd.pwd.hp.com (Daniel Creswell) (05/13/91)

I would strongly recommend you configure for VT100 instead, generic tty is
pretty basic.

Once you get to unix you'll have to configure TERM as follows:

TERM=vt100
export TERM
tset

And that should solve your notes problems.

Regards,
	Dan.

defaria@hpcupt3.cup.hp.com (Andy DeFaria) (05/15/91)

Now how can I get it to do the fancy "dialup & logon sequence" automagically?
I am currently using Reflections and it has a little command language that I
have written a script to dial up and logon for me.  All I do is click on my
Reflections icon, go get a drink, and let it handle the logon sequence.  Note
that this dialup/login thing is complicated by the fact that I dial up one of
those callback type of systems.

Also, how should I configure this thing.  I tried this out and it does indeed
help with curses(3) applications but when I maximized the window it didn't
adjust.  I have a script on the Un*x box I login to that sets the LINES and
COLUMNS but it doesn't like vt100's I guess (it uses /usr/bin/X11/resize but
resize just times out).  I believe I also set LINES and COLUMNS themselves but
it didn't seem to help.

Any help would be appreciated.

hls@rwthinf.UUCP (Hans-Ludwig Stahl) (05/15/91)

defaria@hpcupt3.cup.hp.com (Andy DeFaria) writes:
>Does  anybody know exactly  what I need  to do  to  get Window 3.0 terminal
>emulator to be  able to talk to Unix  and  pay attention to Unix CURSES  so
>that I can use it to read an post notes?

Make shure that your terminal type is 'vt100' (System V: TERM=vt100), and
that the emulation mode of W3-TERMINAL is set to 'vt100', then
everything should work proper ...

So long
	Hans-Ludwig Stahl (hls@informatik.rwth-aachen.de)