[comp.windows.ms] After Dark for Windows

burhans@mizar.usc.edu (Mustang Sally) (05/15/91)

I just bought AfterDark for Windows and have been having some
problems with it. It seems to forget where to find its BMP files
are and it dies with UAEs when running some of the savers (e.g.
the Puzzle).

I have a 386sx clone by Unipaq (probably Mitac actually) with
4MB memory am running Win 3.0, ATM 1.1, User 1.3, and some other
utils. I don't know what version of AfterDark this is there is
no About... entry but I presume its 1.0. The copyright notice
is 1990. Anyone have this? Have these problems? Have a clue?
Thanks in Advance.

By the way, I had ScreenPeace 1.2 installed before and liked it
quite well but had heard so much about After Dark for the Mac that
I wanted it for my system--it does have a coupla savers that are
quite impressive--aquatics, flying toasters, drain, etc. but
more importantly it allows you to demo the savers one by one.
I currently have After Dark set to the Randomizer saver which
shuffles through the other savers at 30 second intervals.
I haven't seen Intermission, the commercial version of Screen
Peace.

Thanks for you help. Please email me at burhans@usc.edu.

--
Jackie Burhans (burhans@usc.edu)
Data Stylist, USC Student Affairs

otto@tukki.jyu.fi (Otto J. Makela) (05/15/91)

In article <32851@usc> burhans@mizar.usc.edu (Mustang Sally) writes:
   By the way, I had ScreenPeace 1.2 installed before and liked it
   quite well but had heard so much about After Dark for the Mac that
   I wanted it for my system--it does have a coupla savers that are
   quite impressive--aquatics, flying toasters, drain, etc. but
   more importantly it allows you to demo the savers one by one.

This feature was in ScreenPeace also.  Just open the configure... dialog
and select one of the savers.  As you move the mouse to the save-now corner
(or wait for the timer to go off), the selected saver will become active.

Sigh.  Too bad they went commercial.
--
   /* * * Otto J. Makela <otto@jyu.fi> * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * */
  /* Phone: +358 41 613 847, BBS: +358 41 211 562 (USR HST/V.32, 24h/d)   */

burhans@mizar.usc.edu (Mustang Sally) (05/16/91)

In article <OTTO.91May15141420@tukki.jyu.fi> otto@tukki.jyu.fi (Otto J. Makela) writes:
>   more importantly it allows you to demo the savers one by one.
>
>This feature was in ScreenPeace also.  Just open the configure... dialog
>and select one of the savers.  As you move the mouse to the save-now corner

Dang. Sorry I didn't know that.

By the way, further investigation seems to show that I have my problems
with AfterDark only when I am also running Crosstalk for Windows. If
I am and I go to the Save Now corner it either goes black and does
nothing, or does nothing without changing the screen or if it goes
into the Puzzle saver dies with a UAE and I have to reboot. Prolly
I'll call the company.