[comp.windows.ms] Pagemaker 4 Problem with lots of fonts

iservice@sw.stratus.com (Ian Service) (05/08/91)

--
I seem to have a problem when running Pagemmaker 4 with lots of fonts installed,
when I select fonts to change the  fonts I only get   about half of them (the first half) on the screen and there seems no way to scroll to the rest of them.

Am I doing something wrong, has anyone else seen this?
(My temporary solution is to remove a lot of fonts i am not using just now, but...)

All opinions are my own and do not represent anyone else.
Ian Service				iservice@gourock.sw.stratus.com
Stratus Computer Inc.	        	TEL (508) 460-2352
M/S M3-2-COM,  55 Fairbanks Boulevard	FAX (508) 624-7488
Marlboro MA 01752-1298

sc151111@seas.gwu.edu (The Time Traveler) (05/09/91)

In article <5440@lectroid.sw.stratus.com> iservice@sw.stratus.com (Ian Service) writes:
>I seem to have a problem when running Pagemmaker 4 with lots of fonts installed,
>when I select fonts to change the  fonts I only get about half of them
>(the first half) on the screen and there seems no way to scroll to the
>rest of them.
>
>Am I doing something wrong, has anyone else seen this?

No, it's a known problem.  I have about 50 fonts installed, and only
those that fit on the screen are shown.  There are other ways to select
fonts, though.  I can't remember off-hand, but it's underneath the
"Fonts..." selection.  Something like ^T might be it (or is that
CorelDraw! ???)

----------------------------------------------------------- The Time Traveler
Sadder still to watch it die                                a.k.a. Timur Tabi
Then never to have known it                   Internet: sc151111@seas.gwu.edu
For you - the blind who once could see -        Bitnet:          HE891C@GWUVM
The bell tolls for thee                  -- Rush

woan@exeter.austin.ibm.com (Ronald S Woan) (05/09/91)

In article <5440@lectroid.sw.stratus.com> iservice@sw.stratus.com (Ian Service) writes:
>I seem to have a problem when running Pagemmaker 4 with lots of fonts
>installed, when I select fonts to change the fonts I only get about
>half of them (the first half) on the screen and there seems no way to
>scroll to the rest of them.

Such is life... Anyway another temp solution is the menu you get with
ctrl-T which is scrollable. It's also choosable from the same drop
down as the font menu but I forget the name of the choice offhand, as
I only run it at home.
+ Ronald S. Woan                woan@cactus.org or woan@austin.vnet.ibm.com +
+ other email addresses             Prodigy: XTCR74A Compuserve: 73530,2537 +

sternlie@eniac.seas.upenn.edu (Paul E. Sternlieb) (05/09/91)

In article <5440@lectroid.sw.stratus.com> iservice@sw.stratus.com (Ian Service) writes:

>--
>I seem to have a problem when running Pagemmaker 4 with lots of fonts installed,
>when I select fonts to change the  fonts I only get   about half of them (the first half) on the screen and there seems no way to scroll to the rest of them.
>
>Am I doing something wrong, has anyone else seen this?
>(My temporary solution is to remove a lot of fonts i am not using just now, but...)

>All opinions are my own and do not represent anyone else.
>Ian Service				iservice@gourock.sw.stratus.com
>Stratus Computer Inc.	        	TEL (508) 460-2352
>M/S M3-2-COM,  55 Fairbanks Boulevard	FAX (508) 624-7488
>Marlboro MA 01752-1298

No.  It's not you....  I have the same problem.  It seems the only way
to get the other fonts you can't see is to go to the type specs
menu (ctrl-t) and select from there...

Also...I am having another problem with lots of fonts.  I installed
a lot of ATM public domain fonts and when I try to use some of them,
it just clears the text....in other words...the text is still there,
but you can't see it...it's all clear and it has something to do with
the text attribute...it won't print out either...but if I change the
text to another font...it works!  It's not the color....
Sometimes the typestyle will work and other times I get this problem!
Any ideas?

Paul Sternlieb                 *  University of PA          *  Home:
sternlie@eniac.seas.upenn.edu  *  3700 Spruce St., Box 560  *  P.O. Box 645
Wharton, Engineering '94       *  Phila., PA  19104-6011    *  Salem, MA  01970

li@athena.cs.uga.edu (Jialin li) (05/09/91)

In article <5440@lectroid.sw.stratus.com> iservice@sw.stratus.com (Ian Service) writes:

>--
>I seem to have a problem when running Pagemmaker 4 with lots of fonts installed,
>when I select fonts to change the  fonts I only get   about half of them (the first half) on the screen and there seems no way to scroll to the rest of them.
>
>Am I doing something wrong, has anyone else seen this?
>(My temporary solution is to remove a lot of fonts i am not using just now, but...)

Don't use Type/Font, use Type/Type specs... ^T

------
Jialin

sw@ (Steve Warner) (05/17/91)

>In article <5440@lectroid.sw.stratus.com> iservice@sw.stratus.com (Ian Service) writes:
>
>--
>I seem to have a problem when running Pagemmaker 4 with lots of fonts installed,
>when I select fonts to change the  fonts I only get   about half of them (the first half) on the screen and there seems no way to scroll to the rest of them.
>>
>Am I doing something wrong, has anyone else seen this?

As suggested before, use type specs, or ^T.  Then type the first letter of the
font name that you wish to use.  The names will cycle thru all posible entries.

Example.  If you want to select copperplate, type  ^T, then C, until
Copperplate appears.  You may cycle thru several C named fonts to get to it.

This is the fastest way to get fonts, after the font list gets too long.
My system has 200+ fonts and the font selection list is almost useless
for anything over A.

--
----
Steve Warner   -  Fremont, CA, USA  etc...