[comp.windows.ms] Optimal set-up for Windows...What are they?

jseto@polyslo.CalPoly.EDU (John the Fisherman) (05/16/91)

Howdy,

	I've been reading this group for about one week and I see many new and
wonderful things we can do with Windows 3.0.  Now, here's a question for you
Windows 3.0 experts and optimizer-types:  I have a 33Mhz 80386 with 4 Megs of
RAM and a 200Meg HardDrive (Windows has its own 30Meg Partition).  I use
himem.sys in my config.sys file and get about 14-15Megs of Virtual Memory.  I
heard that the memory indicated in About Program Manager is the amount of
available RAM plus hard disk space left (in a partition in some cases).  My
partition has over 20Megs left and probably about 3Megs of RAM.  Why the
discrepancy?  Any suggestions, comments, flames(not) would be appreciated.

Please reply to jseto@polyslo.calpoly.edu by e-mail.  I will summarize if I
receive enought feedback.

Chuck

--
<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<   "Chuck" -- a.k.a jseto@polyslo.calpoly.edu   >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
                -.--  -.--  --..  ======> Toronto Int'l (Rush)

gpsteffl@sunee.waterloo.edu (Glenn Steffler) (05/19/91)

In article <2831a1c2.66b8@petunia.CalPoly.EDU> jseto@polyslo.CalPoly.EDU (John the Fisherman) writes:
>	I've been reading this group for about one week and I see many new and
>wonderful things we can do with Windows 3.0.  Now, here's a question for you
>Windows 3.0 experts and optimizer-types:  I have a 33Mhz 80386 with 4 Megs of
>RAM and a 200Meg HardDrive (Windows has its own 30Meg Partition).

My machine at work is a 486/33 with 16 megs of RAM, 200MB hard and is
nasty fast.  Compiles of our program file when from 1 hour on a 386/25
to 9 minutes.  The entire difference is the lack of swapping the
compiler (MSC 6.0) does to disk, as I have a 4MB RAM disk set up as
both TEMP, and TMP environment variables.  Everything about this machine
screams, except video...damn it if that isn't the kind of performance
an animation package could use! :-(

Anyway, I recommend buying 8-12MB or RAM if you want major league
speed.  A fast hard disk is nice, but RAM is cheap and more
important to Windows when multitasking.  A 4MB hard disk cache
makes all the difference.

>  I use
>himem.sys in my config.sys file and get about 14-15Megs of Virtual Memory.  I
>heard that the memory indicated in About Program Manager is the amount of
>available RAM plus hard disk space left (in a partition in some cases).  My
>partition has over 20Megs left and probably about 3Megs of RAM.  Why the
>discrepancy?  Any suggestions, comments, flames(not) would be appreciated.

The number is the amount of available memory (ie. RAM).  Since you
may ask Windows to virtualize some of your hard disk as RAM this may
also affect that total.  I hesitate to say RTFM.

>Please reply to jseto@polyslo.calpoly.edu by e-mail.  I will summarize if I
>receive enought feedback.

Ooops.  Ok.

--
Windows Sumo Wrestler                "Bo doesn't know software" - George Brett
  --(Windows 3.0, a combination of modern moodring technology and voodoo)--