[comp.windows.ms] Windows Toolkits - Documents

RBNTJC@ROHVM1.BITNET (Thomas J Cozzolino) (05/17/91)

We are interested in building a Windows application to do the following:

We have a great amount of technical data (text, CAD drawings, etc.) that
we want to organize and distribute among our PC users.  Also, we'd like to
be able to run analysis programs directly from this application.  I guess
I'm describing a "book-like" entity that could serve as a tutorial, and
gateway into some simulation programs.

What MS Windows-based toolkits are available to build the text and CAD
information organizer?

Do Hypertext-based toolkits exist that run under Windows?  How do they work?

Can I put "hooks" into this application that can run other programs (i.e.,
read about a subject, fill in an electronic "form", and then run some program
and display its results)??

Please reply to RBNTJC@ROHVM1 (Bitnet) or rbntjc@rohmhaas.com (InterNet).  If
there are enough responses, I will be happy to post a summary.

Thanks very much (in advance).

Tom Cozzolino
Rohm and Haas Company

hadgraft@vaxc.cc.monash.edu.au (Hadgraft) (05/20/91)

In article <91136.134711RBNTJC@ROHVM1.BITNET>, RBNTJC@ROHVM1.BITNET (Thomas J Cozzolino) writes:
> We are interested in building a Windows application to do the following:
>
> We have a great amount of technical data (text, CAD drawings, etc.) that
> we want to organize and distribute among our PC users.  Also, we'd like to
> be able to run analysis programs directly from this application.  I guess
> I'm describing a "book-like" entity that could serve as a tutorial, and
> gateway into some simulation programs.
>
> What MS Windows-based toolkits are available to build the text and CAD
> information organizer?
>
> Do Hypertext-based toolkits exist that run under Windows?  How do they work?
>
> Can I put "hooks" into this application that can run other programs (i.e.,
> read about a subject, fill in an electronic "form", and then run some program
> and display its results)??

You could use Guide from OWL International. It would let you organize your text,
and launch applications to display your drawings, run simulations etc.
  |  Senior Lecturer                |  hadgraft@civeng.monash.edu.au   |
  |  Dept of Civil Engineering      |  phone:  +61 3 565 4983          |
  |  Monash University              |  fax:    +61 3 565 4944 or 3409  |