[comp.windows.ms] Program Manager Alternatives ?

dcc@hpopd.pwd.hp.com (Daniel Creswell) (05/10/91)

Currently the onlyt other option I am aware of is the MS-DOS executive which is
a duplicate of the front-end used in Windows 2.11.

To run it edit system.ini where (near the top) there is a line 'shell=progman.exe'. Change this line to read 'shell=msdos.exe' and then when you run Windows
next time you'll get the Exec. It doesn't have icons but it does use a lot less
memory.

Thats it,
	Dan.

swh@hpcupt1.cup.hp.com (Steve Harrold) (05/10/91)

Try the USHER utility as a direct replacement for MS Program Manager.
It's available at cica.cica.indiana.edu (129.79.20.22) in /pub/pc/win3/util.

It allows you to design a system of popup menus to select applications to
launch (am told it is a look-alike for X-windows).  The topmost menu is
triggered by clicking on an unused area of the Windows desktop.

tom@mims-iris.waterloo.edu (Tom Haapanen) (05/14/91)

Steve Harrold <swh@hpcupt1.cup.hp.com> writes:
> Try the USHER utility as a direct replacement for MS Program Manager.
> It's available at cica.cica.indiana.edu (129.79.20.22) in /pub/pc/win3/util.

Other alternatives are Aporia (an object-oriented desktop) and Deus (a
Macintosh Finder-like manager).  Both are available at cica.

[ \tom haapanen --- university of waterloo --- tom@mims-iris.waterloo.edu ]
[ "i don't even know what street canada is on"               -- al capone ]

raisch@Control.COM (Robert Raisch) (05/17/91)

USE **USHER**!!!!

It's on cica.  It's a menu based shell.  It's a lot like what a GUI *should*
offer.  It's trick.

Usher allows you to make cascading menus that appear when you mouse on the
root window, and selecting a menu item launches an app.  Much like a
window manager under X.

I use it.  I love it.  I'm sending in my check.

(It's cheap too.)

/rr

--
"I ate his liver with some fava beans and a nice chianti." -Lector

indra@brahms.amd.com (Indra Singhal) (05/20/91)

In the commercial area, hDC Windows Express is nice. It organizes the
desktop like a filing cabinet in a hierarchical way. You can have the
same program appear in multiple folders, if it makes sense with no
penalty.

It will take a .grp file from program manager and incorporate it into
its own scheme.  It also allows you interactive inclusion of parameters
and will show you a menu of any target drive you specify.

Program manager with all groups iconized uses up about 14% of the
resources Express only uses about 3 and the size of folder has no effect
on the resources used.

Check it out!
--
iNDRA | indra@amd.com or {ames apple uunet}!amd!indra