[comp.windows.ms] Windows comes up to SLOW

disbrow@skipper.dfrf.nasa.gov (Jim Disbrow) (05/10/91)

I'm pretty new to windows and have been watching this group only for
a short time.

I have a 386-16 w/4meg running DOS 4.0 with win3.0.
My problem is that it takes 1 minutes and 4 seconds to boot windows after I
first see the windows logo page.

I got rid of all TSRs. No help.
Using no wallpaper.    No help.
Added swap line in config.sys. No help.
Adding wallpaper does NOT increase the time.

What gives? I've seen friend's systems come up in just a few seconds.
The only difference that I could see is they have a 20 MHz processor instead
of a 16.

Any help will be appreciated.
I looked in the FAQ but couldn't find an answer.

press@venice.SEDD.TRW.COM (Barry Press) (05/11/91)

In article <923@skipper.dfrf.nasa.gov> disbrow@skipper.dfrf.nasa.gov (Jim Disbrow) writes:
>My problem is that it takes 1 minutes and 4 seconds to boot windows after I
>first see the windows logo page.

Check if you have a serial mouse, and if so where it is connected.

If you do, and it's on com2, move it over to com1.

--
Barry Press                                 Internet: press@venice.sedd.trw.com

cms2839@isc.rit.edu (a.stranger) (05/12/91)

				are you using a disc cache ? with 4 megs
you certainly have room for one , and this should significantly increase
system performance .
--
       @@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@
       @     "Imagination keeps the shadows away  -  Xymox      @

john@drd.com (John Horeth) (05/14/91)

In article <923@skipper.dfrf.nasa.gov> disbrow@skipper.dfrf.nasa.gov (Jim Disbrow) writes:
>My problem is that it takes 1 minutes and 4 seconds to boot windows after I
>first see the windows logo page.

Check to see if you have set up a permanent swapfile.  I have two system one
with a permanent swapfile and one without(can not set up a permanent and must
use the temporary since I am using a disk manager to partition a large drive
in 3.3).

The machine with a permanent swapfile (a 16MHZ 386SX) comes up much faster
than the one with the temp. swapfile (a 16MHz 386DX) although normal logic
would say the DX is faster than the SX, but the difference is in the
type of swapfile being used.

john@DRD.com             | John M. Horeth, II
{uunet,rutgers}!drd!john | Horeth Programming Services, Inc. - (918)622-5594

colfelt@news.colorado.edu (COLFELT ANDREW BRINTON W) (05/15/91)

disbrow@skipper.dfrf.nasa.gov (Jim Disbrow) writes:
>I'm pretty new to windows and have been watching this group only for
>a short time.
>I have a 386-16 w/4meg running DOS 4.0 with win3.0.
>My problem is that it takes 1 minutes and 4 seconds to boot windows after I
>first see the windows logo page.
>I got rid of all TSRs. No help.
>Using no wallpaper.    No help.
>Added swap line in config.sys. No help.
>Adding wallpaper does NOT increase the time.
>What gives? I've seen friend's systems come up in just a few seconds.
>The only difference that I could see is they have a 20 MHz processor instead
>of a 16.
>Any help will be appreciated.
>I looked in the FAQ but couldn't find an answer.

Are you using SmartDrv.SYS?  If not, that's the difference.  Set it in
config.sys like this: device=c:\windows\smartdrv.sys 1024 512
This will give the cache a Maximum sive of 1Mb, and a minimum of 512K.
The min. is specified because Windows in 386-Enh. will immediately reduce the
size of the cache to its minimum setting upon startup, increasing the size
as necessary.  However, setting a minimum of 0 (parameter left blank on line
in config.sys) will noticable reduce system speed.  (i.e., Windows doesn't
EXACTLY do what it says it will by increasing the chache as necessary.)
Therefore, the best result seems to be to set the minimum to some non-zero
value, like 512K.  You might even get better results with values >1024 512,
given that you have 4Mb of RAM.  Experiment.

Andrew
colfelt@tramp.colorado.edu

hoek@smaug.cs.hope.edu (Steve &) (05/15/91)

From article <colfelt.674252168@tramp.Colorado.EDU>, by colfelt@news.colorado.edu (COLFELT ANDREW BRINTON W):
> disbrow@skipper.dfrf.nasa.gov (Jim Disbrow) writes:
>>I'm pretty new to windows and have been watching this group only for
>>a short time.
>>I have a 386-16 w/4meg running DOS 4.0 with win3.0.
>>My problem is that it takes 1 minutes and 4 seconds to boot windows after I
>>first see the windows logo page.
>>I got rid of all TSRs. No help.
>>Using no wallpaper.    No help.
>>Added swap line in config.sys. No help.
>>Adding wallpaper does NOT increase the time.
>>What gives? I've seen friend's systems come up in just a few seconds.
>>The only difference that I could see is they have a 20 MHz processor instead
>>of a 16.
>>Any help will be appreciated.
>>I looked in the FAQ but couldn't find an answer.

Are you running ATM on your system?  I know with me, if I run 100+ fonts with
Win3 & ATM 1.1 and a 512k cache I have to wait about 2 minutes to get past the logo screen!

Steve Hoek
hoek@cs.hope.edu

daneman@czech.sw.mcc.com (Michael Daneman) (05/16/91)

In article <923@skipper.dfrf.nasa.gov> disbrow@skipper.dfrf.nasa.gov (Jim Disbrow) writes:

> I'm pretty new to windows and have been watching this group only for
> a short time.
>
> I have a 386-16 w/4meg running DOS 4.0 with win3.0.
> My problem is that it takes 1 minutes and 4 seconds to boot windows after I
> first see the windows logo page.

I found that the BIGGEST factor in the time windows takes to load is the
speed of your hard drive.  I used to have a Seagate-225 (65ms) on a 25MHz
386 and windows took 1-1.25min to load.  Then I upgraded to a 20ms hard drive
and now it only takes about 20sec.  Since you didn't specify what kind of
hard drive you have I can't say for sure that that is your problem.  But
there's a pretty good chance that it is.

Disclaimer:  The opinions stated above are not mine.  In fact,
	     I don't know where they came from.  It scares me
	     sometimes.     -Mike  (daneman@sw.mcc.com)

sstrazdu@hopi.intel.com (Stephen Strazdus) (05/17/91)

I hope someone is keeping track of all these reasons for windows coming
up slow.  This would be an excellent addition to the FAQ list.

Steve
Steve Strazdus  |  sstrazdu@hopi.intel.com  |  Insert your favorite .sig here.

toma@sail.LABS.TEK.COM (Tom Almy) (05/18/91)

I've noticed *much* slower startup on my 386/25 system than on my 386/20
system, and anxiously read this thread.

Amid all the suggestions which were in TFM was one which was new
and seemed completely off the wall:

In article <1088@venice.SEDD.TRW.COM> press@venice.sedd.trw.com (Barry Press) writes:
>In article <923@skipper.dfrf.nasa.gov> disbrow@skipper.dfrf.nasa.gov (Jim Disbrow) writes:
>>My problem is that it takes 1 minutes and 4 seconds to boot windows after I
>>first see the windows logo page.

>Check if you have a serial mouse, and if so where it is connected.

>If you do, and it's on com2, move it over to com1.

Well, my 25Mhz box had the mouse on COM2 (the other system which is otherwise
identical uses COM1) so I switched it. THAT WAS IT!

Thank you, Barry, for making my day!

--
Tom Almy
toma@sail.labs.tek.com

eckert@skyler.mavd.honeywell.com (05/18/91)

In article <5185@czech.sw.mcc.com>, daneman@czech.sw.mcc.com (Michael Daneman) writes:

> In article <923@skipper.dfrf.nasa.gov> disbrow@skipper.dfrf.nasa.gov (Jim Disbrow) writes:
>>
>> I'm pretty new to windows and have been watching this group only for
>> a short time.
>>
>> I have a 386-16 w/4meg running DOS 4.0 with win3.0.
>> My problem is that it takes 1 minutes and 4 seconds to boot windows after I
>> first see the windows logo page.

I agree with the person stating that having the mouse on com2 causes a
delay.  I couldn't belive that this makes a difference, but I tried it and
it totally eliminated the time the cpu spent doing something without
accessing the disk.  Anyone know why Windows sleeps for a while on startup
when the mouse is on com2?
--
    /\ /\   /\  \  /  |\
   /  \  \ /--\  \/   |/

press@venice.SEDD.TRW.COM (Barry Press) (05/20/91)

In article <1991May17.172837.110@skyler.mavd.honeywell.com> eckert@skyler.mavd.honeywell.com writes:
>I agree with the person stating that having the mouse on com2 causes a
>delay.  I couldn't belive that this makes a difference, but I tried it and
>it totally eliminated the time the cpu spent doing something without
>accessing the disk.  Anyone know why Windows sleeps for a while on startup
>when the mouse is on com2?

(Expanding on my original post ...)

What I assume is going on is that Windows is looking to see where the
mouse is connected.  Although I don't have the details, there are a
fair number of places to check, including an inport mouse, two serial ports,
and a bus port.  There is a requirement to meet timeout limits when checking
for mouse presence, and apparently they are set fairly high for Windows
(higher than in the MS mouse.sys, I suspect).

--
Barry Press                                 Internet: press@venice.sedd.trw.com

rgg@hpgrla.gr.hp.com (Bob Gann) (05/20/91)

Here's yet another for you.  Probably not your problem but...

Do you have an extremely complex bitmap as the background.  I was playing
with bitmaps and tried a complex (24 bit) image of a fire.  Thought
windows was broke (again) and rebooted several times before I finally got
interupted and let the thing sit for about 5 minutes.

Taa Daa, waited long enough and the image appeared.

So... the moral of the story, don't use a complex 24 bit image as your
background... or if you do, don't ever, ever, ever shut windows down.

BGann