[comp.windows.ms] A 256-colour 800x600 driver for V7 VGA1042i ?

KTK-VK@finou.oulu.fi (Vesa Komulainen) (05/13/91)

Video Seven's VGA1024i card has 512K of memory so I think it should be
capable of displaying 256 colours at 800x600. However, I have not seen
such a driver for Windows 3. Anyone knowing better, please let me know.

pl@hsv3.UUCP (Phil Lei) (05/21/91)

In article <91133.005236KTK-VK@finou.oulu.fi> KTK-VK@finou.oulu.fi (Vesa Komulainen) writes:
>Video Seven's VGA1024i card has 512K of memory so I think it should be
>capable of displaying 256 colours at 800x600. However, I have not seen
>such a driver for Windows 3. Anyone knowing better, please let me know.

fast enough to keep up with pixel rates required for 800x600x256.  Even
if it were, there are some VERY nasty problems with supporting such a
mode under Windows 3.0 specifically that 64k does not divide evenly by
800.  This forces page boundaries to fall in the middle of a scan
line.  If you are doing 640x480x256, this is not a problem because you
can set the logical line length to 1024 making the page boundaries line
up at the end of every 64th scanline.  If you were to do such a scheme
with 800x600x256, you would need 600 * 1024 = 600K of video RAM plus at
least 256 bytes for the hardware sprite (mouse pointer).  The Video
Seven VRAM II has the option of 1 MB of video RAM and will support
800x600x256 as well as 1024x768x256 with higher Winbench performance on
average than any other VGA you can buy for any amount of money.
Video Seven can be reached at (415) 623-7857

				John Brenneise,
				Video Seven Software Dept.