[comp.windows.ms] Communications Programs for Windows

bchen@argon.berkeley.edu (Benjamin Chen) (05/18/91)

I'm interested in purchasing a good communications program for Windows.
I've tried Windows Terminal, WinQVT, and UniComm.  I don't really like
any of them.  I'd appreciate any recommendations on any package from
~$100-$200.  Anyone have Crosstalk for Windows?

	BC

Benjamin Chen
Electronics Research Laboratory   550-A4 Cory Hall, University of California
(bchen@argon.Berkeley.EDU,  ...!ucbvax!argon!bchen)

jrodda@sonia.math.ucla.edu (Jonathan Rodda) (05/18/91)

	You might want to try MicroPhone II for windows by Software Ventures.
	It is easier to use than Crosstalk and has a "watch me" mode for
	generating scripts.

	You might find is at your campus store for around $80.

	Jonathan.

rosen@cbnewsb.cb.att.com (steven.b.rosen) (05/18/91)

In article <1991May17.232439.20221@agate.berkeley.edu>, bchen@argon.berkeley.edu (Benjamin Chen) writes:
> I'm interested in purchasing a good communications program for Windows.
> I've tried Windows Terminal, WinQVT, and UniComm.  I don't really like
> any of them.  I'd appreciate any recommendations on any package from
> ~$100-$200.  Anyone have Crosstalk for Windows?
>
> 	BC

Ben (& others),

	Like all you other Windows 3.0 users I have found TERMINAL somewhat
	lacking. As a result I've loaded up my old friend Procomm. Since I'm
	using an older version (2.4.1:anyone know of a later version?) that is
	NOT a windows application, I've set it up as a DOS "NON-WINDOWS
	APPLICATION" and just call it from windows. (Anyone know if a Windows
	version is comming out?).

	When I got Pocomm it came with a rather good reference manual.  The
	name/numbers for info are listed as follows:

		Datastorm Technologies, Inc. (Previously known as PIL Software)
		PO Box 1471
		Columbia, MO 65205
		BBS: (314) 449-9401 (This has been disconnected)

	Maybe its time to call information in Mo and ask for a new number.

	I cant say enough good things about Procomm - Rich command files
	that can login and initiate down loads - All types of protocal
	support (XMODEM, YMODEM, KERMIT, etc.) - Slick user interface that
	stays out of your way unless needed - It even has an unattended
	answer mode (that SHOULDN'T BE USED AS A BBS) but is good enough
	for the occasional remote down/up load between friends.

	The Ordering info lists the following prices (remember this is
	from a manual dated 1986 !)

		Procomm Disk : $10
		(Softcopy of docs included; Doesn't
		 include registration !)

		Registration: $25

		Disk w/Registration: $35 (suprise, suprise...)

		Disk, Reg, Printed Docs: $50

	Hope this proves usefull.

	...steve...

Steve Rosen               attmail!srosen
                      srosen@attmail.com

rosen@cbnewsb.cb.att.com (steven.b.rosen) (05/19/91)

	Datastorm Technologies, Inc. (Previously known as PIL Software)
	PO Box 1471
	Columbia, MO 65205
	BBS: (314) 449-9401 (This has been disconnected)

	I just checked with information: The (voice) phone number
	for Datastorm Technologies is (314) 443-3282. They are
	(or at least were) the distributors of Procomm.

	...steve...

Steve Rosen               attmail!srosen
                      srosen@attmail.com

Scott@cup.portal.com (Scott Dixon Green) (05/19/91)

The most recent version of ProComm (that I know of) is 2.4.3.

I recently purchased version 2.0 of ProComm Plus (the commercial
version), and I am very satisfied.  It has 33 different terminal
emulations with keyboard remapping, Zmodem, a compiled script
language, mouse support, etc.  I run it under Windows, it even
comes with its own nice Windows icon.  It cost me about $80.

-Scott

Scott@cup.portal.com

mjb@netcom.COM (Martin Brown) (05/19/91)

Procomm Plus now comes as version 2.0.

Procom Plus v2.0 has zmodem.

I also have Crosstalk for Windows, but I use Procomm.

                               - mjb -

                            mjb@netcom.com

butch@geohub.gcn.uoknor.edu (H. G. "Butch" Walker Jr.) (05/21/91)

(Benjamin Chen) writes:

|>I'm interested in purchasing a good communications program for Windows.
|>I've tried Windows Terminal, WinQVT, and UniComm.  I don't really like
|>any of them.  I'd appreciate any recommendations on any package from
|>~$100-$200.  Anyone have Crosstalk for Windows?

You might want to check into Wincomm.  It is a Windows comm package with an
extensive macro language, a good range of emulations and transfer protocols,
and
several valuable utilities.  You may be able to get a demo version by calling
(405) 366-6363.
The company name is Synappsys.  BTW, it retails for $149 with an educational
price of $97.
I use it all the time.

Butch

sip1@sam.spc.uchicago.edu (Timothy F. Sipples) (05/21/91)

>|>I'm interested in purchasing a good communications program for Windows.
>|>I've tried Windows Terminal, WinQVT, and UniComm.  I don't really like
>|>any of them.  I'd appreciate any recommendations on any package from
>|>~$100-$200.  Anyone have Crosstalk for Windows?
>You might want to check into Wincomm.  It is a Windows comm package with an
>extensive macro language, a good range of emulations and transfer protocols,

I just received an offer in the mail for Dynacomm 3.0 at $99 plus shipping
(plus an extra $29.95 for printed documentation).  Apparently they are
running a special for certain people lucky enough to be on the right mailing
list.

I'm "Serial Number 3xxx" -- I must be special.  :-)

FutureSoft is available at (713) 496-9400.

A more general question: is there any way to prevent Windows when operating
under standard mode from losing characters when receiving a file (via, say,
ZMODEM) in the background?  Any moderately busy hard drive activity and
the transfer is terminated.  Formatting a floppy?  Forget it.

I haven't tried it, but does YMODEM fare any better?

Also, I noticed that the tutorial in Word for Windows basically shuts every-
thing down.  Background file transfers fail.  How rude.

T.F.S.						sip1@quads.uchicago.edu
Timothy F. Sipples				sip1@sam.spc.uchicago.edu

aragorn@csd4.csd.uwm.edu (Steve J White) (05/21/91)

In article <1991May20.204430.19873@midway.uchicago.edu> sip1@sam.spc.uchicago.edu (Timothy F. Sipples) writes:

>A more general question: is there any way to prevent Windows when operating
>under standard mode from losing characters when receiving a file (via, say,
>ZMODEM) in the background?  Any moderately busy hard drive activity and
>the transfer is terminated.  Formatting a floppy?  Forget it.
>
>I haven't tried it, but does YMODEM fare any better?

I am also running a 286 under standard mode.  I haven't experienced this
problem at all.  Although, I'm using WinQVT, one of the worst comm programs
I've *ever* used.  Maybe that's all that WinQVT is good for.   ;-)
I start a ZModem Dl and I click on the minimize box.  WinQVT goes bye-bye
and I am able to run other apps.

- steve

--
               "What has been spoiled through man's fault
                can be made good again through man's work."

sip1@sam.spc.uchicago.edu (Timothy F. Sipples) (05/21/91)

>>A more general question: is there any way to prevent Windows when operating
>>under standard mode from losing characters when receiving a file (via, say,
>>ZMODEM) in the background?  Any moderately busy hard drive activity and
>>the transfer is terminated.  Formatting a floppy?  Forget it.
>>I haven't tried it, but does YMODEM fare any better?
>I am also running a 286 under standard mode.  I haven't experienced this
>problem at all.  Although, I'm using WinQVT, one of the worst comm programs
>I've *ever* used.  Maybe that's all that WinQVT is good for.   ;-)
>I start a ZModem Dl and I click on the minimize box.  WinQVT goes bye-bye
>and I am able to run other apps.

To elaborate: to the best of my knowledge, an 80286 machine, when switching
between real and protected modes (in either direction) experiences a
brief moment of time in which all interrupts are disabled.  This can
possibly cause problems in losing characters arriving at the serial
port.

The best solution is to either stay in protected mode all the time
(i.e. buy OS/2 or Xenix) or to get some intelligence into the serial
port (e.g. buffered UART, Hayes ESP, etc.)  Or find a way to avoid losing
characters during the short interval between switches.

Some possible peculiarities of my system: I use Hercules, an SCSI
hard drive, and 640K + 2176K extended.  I've set STACKS=0,0 in CONFIG.SYS
(perhaps I should turn it back on?) and I've got SMARTDRV.SYS installed.

To reiterate: the problem only occurs with semi-heavy access of any
disk device.  (Although heavy is a relative term -- I don't think it's
that heavy.)  For example, a launch of Pagemaker followed by a launch of
Word for Windows will be nearly enough to have ZMODEM time out.
Formatting a floppy, as I mentioned, is out of the question.

Thoughts?

T.F.S.						sip1@quads.uchicago.edu
Timothy F. Sipples				sip1@sam.spc.uchicago.edu

jrodda@sonia.math.ucla.edu (Jonathan Rodda) (05/22/91)

	Try using Xon/Xoff option set to YES or ON it solved my problem
	transfering files on a 286 in standard mode.  First try Xon/Xoff
	in the communications program, if this dosen't work try it under
	MAIN/PORTS and then set the COMM port you use for your modem.

	Jonathan