[net.auto] Pontiac Fiero

steven@garfield.UUCP (Steven Brown) (01/25/85)

MUNCH MUNCH ..etc..etc  TH YOUR MESSAGE ***

Hello out there in netland from the keyboard on the rock

I am seriously considering buying a 1985 Pontiac Fiero.
Would greatly appriciate anyones opinions,criticisms,
complaints etc. I know this car hasn't got the guts to
support the looks but as a first car I am thinking of
the fuel economy. So a humungus powerplant in of no
interest. So what if it can't leave a long strip of
rubber on the pavement. Any comments as to which options
are worth considering or avoiding would help.

			Thanx
				Steve Brown
				"the Goofy Newfie"

stern@inmet.UUCP (01/30/85)

[]

Before even thinking about a Fiero, I'd advise you to read the
ConsumerReports article (I believe it was in the 1984 Auto Issue)
where they raked it over the coals.  Having read that, knowing
two people who own them, and after hearing my roommate's horror
stories about the one he rented, I can offer these words:
(a) The thing turns very poorly.  A Cadillac has a smaller turning radius.
    Just *try* to avoid hitting something/someone with a turning radius
    that huge (I don't remember the number, but I do remember it was
    1.5 - 2 times the t-r for my Celica)
(b) If you are tall (over 5' 8") you are going to be uncomfortable in it.
    It looks cool but cramps the slightly larger-sized passenger
(c) You can't see out the back too well.
(d) There is little or no storage/luggage space
(e) The glove box is a poor excuse for a storage area.
(f) The body construction is *a few* sections of fibreglass.  Now 'glass
    is great for fast, small sporty cars, but it does have one problem:
    hit it and it shatters, splinters and cracks.  Metal cars just dent;
    fibre cars crack, the cracks fill up with water and freeze, and then
    they crack more.  When you bust a panel, you have to replace the whole
    thing.  That's a lot of bucks -- probably in the $600-$1000 range for
    a single panel.  Driving in Boston one tends to be concerned with
    dent protection.
(g) The middie engine probably gives you a nice center of rotation.  I
    seem to remember somebody saying that it was an easy car to spin out.
    No thanks.

As with all things, look before you leap.  I first saw a Fiero up in
Connecticut around October 1983 -- and I tailed the lady driving it for
40 miles (along I-84) until I found out what it was and where/when you
could get them.  After some closer inspection, I decided to get a Celica.

And again, as with all net-noise, these ideas are my own, and do not
necessarily represent those of my employer, friends, roommate, Consumer
Reports, Pontiac, Toyota, the lady in the new Fiero or anyone else
for that matter.

--Hal Stern
  Intermetrics, Inc
  {ihnp4, harpo, ima}!inmet!stern

review@drutx.UUCP (Millham) (02/04/85)

>(f) The body construction is *a few* sections of fibreglass.  Now 'glass
>    is great for fast, small sporty cars, but it does have one problem:
>    hit it and it shatters, splinters and cracks.  Metal cars just dent;
>    fibre cars crack, the cracks fill up with water and freeze, and then
>    they crack more.  When you bust a panel, you have to replace the whole
>    thing.  That's a lot of bucks -- probably in the $600-$1000 range for
>    a single panel.  Driving in Boston one tends to be concerned with
>    dent protection.

The Fiero is NOT fibreglass. It is made of a flexable plastic skin
placed over a metal frame.

I rented a Fiero and I will never rent one again! All that I can say
about it is that is is cute.

Brian Millham
AT & T Information Systems
Denver, Co.

...!inhp4!drutx!review

thoth@tellab2.UUCP (Marcus Hall) (02/04/85)

In article <1929@inmet.UUCP> stern@inmet.UUCP writes:

>(a) The thing turns very poorly.  A Cadillac has a smaller turning radius.
>    Just *try* to avoid hitting something/someone with a turning radius
>    that huge (I don't remember the number, but I do remember it was
>    1.5 - 2 times the t-r for my Celica)

I don't have anything in front of me that states the turning radius, but
my complaint with the steering is that it is SLOW.  By that I mean that
it takes a lot of turning the wheel to turn the car, at least compared
to by old Fiat X1/9.  Once you get the wheel all the way over, however,
the car turns in a reasonable radius, nothing spectacular but nothing
difficult to deal with either.

>(b) If you are tall (over 5' 8") you are going to be uncomfortable in it.
>    It looks cool but cramps the slightly larger-sized passenger

I'm 5' 10" and fit in it just fine.  Actually it's substantially larger
on the inside than by departed Fiat, which contributes to (d) below.

>(c) You can't see out the back too well.

I didn't have any problems.  If you strap something large onto the (optional)
luggage rack (as a solution for (d) below), it does block the rear view.

>(d) There is little or no storage/luggage space

True enough.  For this reason, the Fiero cannot ever be a very *practical*
car, but it all depends on what you're looking for.

>(e) The glove box is a poor excuse for a storage area.

True again, but this is true of many cars (i.e. Firebird, etc.)

>(f) The body construction is *a few* sections of fibreglass.  Now 'glass
>    is great for fast, small sporty cars, but it does have one problem:
>    hit it and it shatters, splinters and cracks.  Metal cars just dent;
>    fibre cars crack, the cracks fill up with water and freeze, and then
>    they crack more.  When you bust a panel, you have to replace the whole
>    thing.  That's a lot of bucks -- probably in the $600-$1000 range for
>    a single panel.  Driving in Boston one tends to be concerned with
>    dent protection.

The Fiero is NOT fiberglass!!  It is a plastic bodied car.  There are actually
several kinds of plastic used in the body, depending on what kinds of loads
it is required to take.  It is refered to as "friendly plastic" because it is
flexible.  Opening a car door into the Fiero does nothing to it.  Kick it and
your foot will bounce back.  Very minor collisions will not hurt it, but if
it's enough to bend the metal structure that the plastic skins bolt onto it
won't bounce back so well.  Replacing a plastic panel is a snap because they
all just bolt on, thus repair costs may be kept down if you do your own labor
(to say nothing of the aftermarket of body panels due to this feature).

>(g) The middie engine probably gives you a nice center of rotation.  I
>    seem to remember somebody saying that it was an easy car to spin out.
>    No thanks.

Mid-engined cars tend to have a better weight distribution because the weight
is spread more evenly on all four wheels.  The Fiero has a low and long center
of gravity which helps keep it pointing straight.

The '84 Fieros did have a bad habit of going from understeer unexpectedly into
oversteer when braking hard and turning, but this has been fixed on the '85s.

>               After some closer inspection, I decided to get a Celica.

Fair enough.  Everyone's surely entitled to their own choices without reproach.
I have a V6 Fiero on order.  Hopefully it'll get here soon, but Pontiac is
having a hard time building Fieros fast enough, let alone stuffing the V6
in them.

marcus hall
..!ihnp4!tellab1!tellab2!thoth

pugh@bmcg.UUCP (Mike Pugh) (02/07/85)

> []
>
> Before even thinking about a Fiero, I'd advise you to read the
> ConsumerReports article (I believe it was in the 1984 Auto Issue)
> where they raked it over the coals.  Having read that, knowing
> two people who own them, and after hearing my roommate's horror
> stories about the one he rented, I can offer these words:
> (a) The thing turns very poorly.  A Cadillac has a smaller turning radius.
>     Just *try* to avoid hitting something/someone with a turning radius
>     that huge (I don't remember the number, but I do remember it was
>     1.5 - 2 times the t-r for my Celica)
> (b) If you are tall (over 5' 8") you are going to be uncomfortable in it.
>     It looks cool but cramps the slightly larger-sized passenger
> (c) You can't see out the back too well.
> (d) There is little or no storage/luggage space
> (e) The glove box is a poor excuse for a storage area.
> (f) The body construction is *a few* sections of fibreglass.  Now 'glass
>     is great for fast, small sporty cars, but it does have one problem:
>     hit it and it shatters, splinters and cracks.  Metal cars just dent;
>     fibre cars crack, the cracks fill up with water and freeze, and then
>     they crack more.  When you bust a panel, you have to replace the whole
>     thing.  That's a lot of bucks -- probably in the $600-$1000 range for
>     a single panel.  Driving in Boston one tends to be concerned with
>     dent protection.
> (g) The middie engine probably gives you a nice center of rotation.  I
>     seem to remember somebody saying that it was an easy car to spin out.
>     No thanks.
>
> As with all things, look before you leap.  I first saw a Fiero up in
> Connecticut around October 1983 -- and I tailed the lady driving it for
> 40 miles (along I-84) until I found out what it was and where/when you
> could get them.  After some closer inspection, I decided to get a Celica.
>
> And again, as with all net-noise, these ideas are my own, and do not
> necessarily represent those of my employer, friends, roommate, Consumer
> Reports, Pontiac, Toyota, the lady in the new Fiero or anyone else
> for that matter.
>
> --Hal Stern
>   Intermetrics, Inc
>   {ihnp4, harpo, ima}!inmet!stern

I am a Fiero owner of 14,000 miles of experience. I have raced the Fiero in
San Diego slalom events.  Now for a point by point rebuttal.

	a. It does have a poor turning radius, but how often do you have to
	   turn the wheel all the way to avoid hitting someone? I have
	   won first place on courses with hundreds of pylons by avoiding
	   them.

	b. I am 6' and find no problem.  How wide are you?

	c. Backward vision is no problem, but to the side can be.

	d. The storage space is better than it looks, but it is
	   a weakness.

	e. Yea.

	f. The body has *NO* fiber glass.  It has three types of
	   plastics.  It is so soft in the front and rear that
	   minor impacts (low speed parking) have no effect. The panels
	   should cost less than you say, but I don't know how much.

	   As far as the most commen type of dents, i.e. parking lot
	   dings, it is immune.  The cost of repairing a single
	   door ding on a Mazda RX7 is $135.00.  My fiero would have
	   not been damaged at all.  A great feeling when you have to
	   park between two old rust buckets.

	g. The most commen cause of spinning a car is having too
	   much difference in traction between the front and rear
	   and losing the rear in a power off oversteer mode.
	   one of the most notorious offenders is the porsche 911,
	   with all that motor in the rear.  By by the way, where did you
	   take physics?

In conclusion:  The fiero handles very well once you learn to drive it.
                It is more difficult to learn than most front engine
		rear wheel drive cars and has a difficult clutch to
		boot.  It does not feel as elegant as a BMW but will
		out do a 318i on the slalom by a lot.

		The shift is less than ideal especialy first.

                The motor has a low red line causing early shifts
		and needs more power.

		It has the best occupant survive-ability of ay car tested
		in the 6 year history of the government crash tests.

		The plastic body panels work well and require no special
		treatment, and never rust (even in the salt).

		For the price it is a bargain.

mary@bunkerb.UUCP (Mary Shurtleff) (02/07/85)

> In article <1929@inmet.UUCP> stern@inmet.UUCP writes:
>
> >(a) The thing turns very poorly.  A Cadillac has a smaller turning radius.
> >    Just *try* to avoid hitting something/someone with a turning radius
> >    that huge (I don't remember the number, but I do remember it was
> >    1.5 - 2 times the t-r for my Celica)
>
> I don't have anything in front of me that states the turning radius, but
> my complaint with the steering is that it is SLOW.

According to Consumer Reports, the turning circle for the Fiero is ~42 (no,
that is not a typo of 24!) feet.  By comparison, my Saab, with a longer wheel-
base than the Fiero, has a turning circle of 36.5 feet.  What you end up with
with a large turning circle is a car that's not very maneuverable.  The Fiero's
relatively high weight for its size doesn't help.  All in all, a nice looking
car, but the beauty is only skin deep.

M. Shurtleff

angel@edsel.UUCP (A Gomez) (02/09/85)

I have seen some rather negative comments about the Fiero on
the net lately, so I thought I might add my 2 cents worth.

I have owned an 84 Fiero since November 1983 and 22000 miles ago,
and have the following options:

1) Its a very comfortable car. Im 5'11", and have no problems.
2) Handling is fantastic for a car thats this cheap.
3) Turning Radius is big, but who makes 180s anyway.
4) Engine is underpowered. It really does need a 6 or Turbo.
5) Luggage space is OK if you have floppy luggage, not so great if
   you have hard luggage.
6) Panels are plastic. Each panel set is made out of a different plastic.
   BTW. The panes are cheap. I got hit in the left rear; and the whole
   rear panel had to be replaced and painted. Total: $381 incl labor.
   In these cars, you don't fix it. You unbolt and replace. A lot less
   labor.

Anyway, the car is a good car for fun and commuting. A bad car if you have
a lot of anything to move around. It suits me fine and im really pleased
with it.

Hope this was some help.

					Angel

stern@inmet.UUCP (02/10/85)

[]
Not to be accused of posting ideas to the net without substantiation (do
people really do that? :-)) I can contribute the following information
about the Pontiac Fiero.  These quotes are taken from Consumer Reports,
April 1984 Annual Auto Issue Volume 49 Number 4.  They are reprinted without
permission.  Don't tattle on me.

From: "Road Tests of the Pontiac Fiero: What's Under All That Flash?"

Concerning handling: (p. 190):
"Its rear end would swing out with too little provocation, and drivers
found that the car didn't respond as cleanly as it should when they tried
to control the read end by countersteering.  Wet roads accentuated the
problem - and snow or ice made normal handling a constant worry"

(p. 191): "The Fiero has an unusually wide turning circle (42 feet) for
so small a car.  That made the car seem clumsy when maneuvering through
city traffic or parking."

About the super plastic body: (p. 192):
"While parking, a careless driver backed into our parked Fiero.  We had
to replace the entire lower front panel and the energy-absorber assembly
behind it."

Generic comments: (p. 192):
"The Pontiac Fiero is the automotive equivalent of junk food: Tempting
to look at, maybe, but empty calories....It looks like a car that might
accelerate powerfully, brake on a dime, and take hairpin turns in stride.
It is none of those things."

Flames may be addressed to:

Hal Stern
Intermetrics, Inc
ihnp4!inmet!stern

These opinions and comments are my own and do not represent those of
anyone else, including my employer.  I am also solely responsible for
stealing the quotes from Consumer Reports.

mike@amdcad.UUCP (Mike Parker) (02/11/85)

> I have seen some rather negative comments about the Fiero on
> the net lately, so I thought I might add my 2 cents worth.
>
> 3) Turning Radius is big, but who makes 180s anyway.

Everyone in Silicon Valley, thats who! Most major streets have
concrete dividers. To get to a business on the left you go to
the next light and make a u-turn. You get three lanes to do this
in. This is about 35 feet, not enough for a Fiero.

Mike @ AMDCAD

cpr0@bunny.UUCP (C. Rosebrugh) (02/12/85)

I'm a very happy owner of an '84 Fiero SE. I think everyone is entitled
to their opinion about cars, so I'm not in the mode of criticizing
others choices of transportation. Anyway, I want to say and ask a few
things about the Fiero.

The car is not built for practicality, nor has this ever been claimed.
For the first model year, with NEW ideas in body/chassis/frame
engineering, Pontiac did a heck of a job in developing and opening
up new markets for small cars. Not only is Ford scrambling to put
out a mid-engine 2 seater, but the other GM divisions (Buick and
Oldsmobile - I don't think this is one that Cadillac will touch -)
are now designing the same style for 1988 release.

I personally bought the car for fun in the sun, while living on the
west coast - with the sun roof off, the windows down and the
high-ended stereo blaring (with the speakers in the headrest),
the money paid for the car tends to be quickly forgotten.

Also, the engine is fairly simple to work on since all the cooling
and air conditioning is in the front. I bought the car knowing that
the ride, power, and handling all needed some help - but the idea was
to work on just that. There's a company in California -
 California Coachworks (408-778-3583) in Morgan Hill -
that specializes in customizing Fieros. They have all kinds of
stuff - spoilers, wheels, progressive rate springs, anti-sway bars,
gas shocks & struts, etc, (also a turbocharger) customized for the
Fiero - the prices are good, too.

Also, the car seems pretty tough - I moved from Portland, Oregon
to Boston in August and drove the car after having bought it in
June. I covered the distance in 4 days: 600, 1000, 1000, 620
miles @ an average trip speed of 67 mph, travelling at ~75 mph -
(I have a Spectrum Whistler radar detector, also) - without
any problems at all. Mileage was 29 mpg.
The trip was like sitting on a living room couch listening to
the stereo (I'm not into being a tourist).

So now the problem - a couple of months ago I started to have
a very squeaky belt problem. While under warranty, I took it to
the dealer (twice) to have them checked and adjusted - but they
still squealed: first for a few minutes after starting the car,
then at about 1 minute intervals when highway driving.
It was especially bad after it rained or snowed. Then,
the alternator belt ripped off and chewed up so badly that
I only recovered 3 pieces about 4" long. It was then that I noticed
that the alternator was about 3/4" out of line with the other pulleys!
I took it to an independent mechanic and he shimmed the alternator
and put a new belt on. Three weeks later the belt got itself chewed.
No warning - one squeal and Poof! I had a new belt put on and took the
car to an alternator shop - they said there was absolutely nothing wrong
with it - that it's a belt problem. They  tightened the belts and sent me
on the way. Two days later the squealing started again. Now I just
keep moving the alternator back, tightening the belt up again -
but it's happening every couple hundred miles!

Can anyone offer a suggestion? The belts used so far have been
different brands. I don't know alot about cars, but I'm learning fast.
I'm also interested in other Fiero owner's problems. Please write
if you have any info.

Sorry for the verbosity.

Chris Rosebrugh
GTE Laboratories
..!harvard!bunny!cpr0

alien@gcc-bill.ARPA (Alien Wells) (02/13/85)

> ... talking about his Fiero ...
>Also, the car seems pretty tough - I moved from Portland, Oregon
>to Boston in August and drove the car after having bought it in
>June. I covered the distance in 4 days: 600, 1000, 1000, 620
>miles @ an average trip speed of 67 mph, travelling at ~75 mph -
>(I have a Spectrum Whistler radar detector, also) - without
>any problems at all. Mileage was 29 mpg.

You think this is *tough*?  I have done the following:
	San Jose - Burlington, VT (3100 mi) in a 1972 Ford Pinto
		2 days + 16 hours, Mileage was around 28 mpg.
	San Jose - New York City (3300 mi) in a 1980 Honda Civic (CA version)
		3 days + 2 hours, Mileage was a bit over 42 mpg.
I had no mechanical problems of any kind on either trip.  The mileage on the
trip to NYC is a little longer than you might expect since I was driving in
early February and had miserable weather from the Sierras to Salt Lake City.
I saw a really nasty storm in the mountains out of SLC, and decided to cut
south into Colorado.

If I was being snide, I would comment that the comparison between the Pinto
and the Fiero was particularily appropriate, but the Pinto had more cargo space,
a better turning radius, and probably more power :-).

					Alien

stern@inmet.UUCP (02/15/85)

[]

I'll be the first to admit that 90% of the negative things said about
the Pontiac Fiero have been said by me.  I *do* believe that you are
entitled to drive whatever car makes you happy; and as long as you
drive it safely everyone will be quite content.

bunny!cpr0 claims:
>I personally bought the car for fun in the sun, while living on the
>west coast - with the sun roof off, the windows down and the
>high-ended stereo blaring (with the speakers in the headrest),
>the money paid for the car tends to be quickly forgotten.

Almost all of the hate mail I have received has been from west coast
folks who have no problems with their Fieros!!  Small wonder -- when
was the last time someone had to drive in snow/ice/slush in California?
It would be nice if people realized that their own part of the country
does not necessarily represent driving conditions throughout the USA.

And for criticizing my knowledge of physics, I was always taught the
the the frictional force F = uN, where u is the coefficient of friction
and N is the normal force.  Now, having a middie engine means that N
is less for the *FRONT WHEELS* than it would be for the same car, same
engine mounted up front.  Therefore, the front tires do not have as much
grip -- making it a little tough to make left turns in a snowstorm.  If
someone would like to demonstrate the flaw in this argument, I will post
a statement of my ignorance.

--Hal Stern
  ihnp4!inmet!stern

ron@wjvax.UUCP (Ron Christian) (02/15/85)

Well then.  What about the Fiero GT?  We all know about
the fuel injected 6 it's supposed to have.  What has the
increased horsepower and increased rear-biased weight done
to the roadability of the car?  I'd also like to know if
they've tightened up the steering.  (It *is* supposed to
be a GT....)  Anyone drive one of these suckers?
--

	Ron Christian  (Watkins-Johnson Co.  San Jose, Calif.)
	{pesnta,twg,ios,qubix,turtlevax,tymix}!wjvax!ron

bhs@siemens.UUCP (02/17/85)

Ladies and Gentlemen:

Some minor clarification: the Fiero was pushed through the exceptionally rigid
and reluctant GM burocracy by a few enterprising engineers and managers, who
could only win project approval by targeting the car as a high- mileage
commuter car. It's purported target market was going to be the person who
carried no more than his/her attache case, and perhaps a co-worker, to the
office and back. Thus, the project engineers were not allowed to develop too
many parts, in fact, in an effort to keep development costs low, many of the
mechanicals had to adopted from existant GM cars. In order to keep costs lower,
the rather revolutionary bosy construction was chosen (it is light and parts
are cheap to replace). In order to achieve the high mileage for the designated
target market, the little four cylinder was ordered installed.
Well. The car has outsold GMs expectations, and now the top management is
slowly permitting the project engineers to do what they really wanted to do all
along: beef the car up. Hence the six cylinder this year, which was originally
to be joined by a better suspension. But then the bean counters got into the
game again, and said that sales were still so strong that the better suspension
(with associated costs) was not justified, just yet. But you should see the
real Fiero take shape in the next (1986) model year, because that is when the
true Fiero suspension is slated for introduction.
From the marketing point of view, I guess GM played it's cards right. First,
the market was the people who wanted to be the first on the block with it, then
there were the people who just loved it's looks, and now slowly they are
getting serious about the car. Of course, Toyota's MR2 contributed to the
improvements planned.

Bernard H. Schwab
Siemens RTL, Princeton NJ
siemens!bhs

review@drutx.UUCP (Millham) (02/18/85)

>And for criticizing my knowledge of physics, I was always taught the
>the the frictional force F = uN, where u is the coefficient of friction
>and N is the normal force.  Now, having a middie engine means that N
>is less for the *FRONT WHEELS* than it would be for the same car, same
>engine mounted up front.  Therefore, the front tires do not have as much
>grip -- making it a little tough to make left turns in a snowstorm.  If
>someone would like to demonstrate the flaw in this argument, I will post
>a statement of my ignorance.
>
>--Hal Stern
>  ihnp4!inmet!stern

Doesn't the VW Beetle have the same problem where the front end looses
traction?

Brian Millham
AT & T Information Systems
Denver, Co.

...!inhp4!drutx!review

haapanen@watdcsu.UUCP (Tom Haapanen [DCS]) (02/21/85)

>>And for criticizing my knowledge of physics, I was always taught the
>>the the frictional force F = uN, where u is the coefficient of friction
>>and N is the normal force.  Now, having a middie engine means that N
>>is less for the *FRONT WHEELS* than it would be for the same car, same
>>engine mounted up front.  Therefore, the front tires do not have as much
>>grip -- making it a little tough to make left turns in a snowstorm.  If
>>someone would like to demonstrate the flaw in this argument, I will post
>>a statement of my ignorance.

>Doesn't the VW Beetle have the same problem where the front end looses
>traction?

Well, not really.  The front end *is* a bit light in a corner, and you
*might* be able to induce some understeer.  However, the weight
distribution is such that it's definitely a case of terminal oversteer.
If you ever begin understeering (and it's a bit slippery), just pulll
up the handbrake ever-so-slightly, and you'll have the rear end
fishtailing out really nicely.  Just don't pull the brake too hard or
you'll end up doing multiple 360's (2*pi's :-) ).  The Fiero is
somewhat of a different case, though, as the weight is so evenly
distributed, and in fact does tend to terminal understeer.

				   \tom haapanen
				   watmath!watdcsu!haapanen
Don't cry, don't do anything
No lies, back in the government
No tears, party time is here again
President Gas is up for president		 (c) Psychedelic Furs, 1982

doug@terak.UUCP (Doug Pardee) (02/21/85)

> Some minor clarification: the Fiero was pushed through the exceptionally rigid
> and reluctant GM burocracy by a few enterprising engineers and managers, who
> could only win project approval by targeting the car as a high- mileage
> commuter car.

Further substantiation: some years back I read in an automotive trade
publication that the Pontiac Division was fighting tooth-and-nail to
keep GM Corporate from stopping Pontiac's "P-car".  Seems that GM
felt that another GM Division (which shall remain nameless) already
was selling a 2-seat high-performance sports car, and that if the
P-car was built it would only steal customers from this other Division.

This practice of "protecting your current products" is the reason that
innovation tends to come from up-start companies (and countries).  IBM
sure did fine when they prevented the PC-jr from stealing customers
away from the PC by having too little memory to run Lotus 1-2-3 and
making the keyboard intolerable for word processing!
--
Doug Pardee -- Terak Corp. -- !{hao,ihnp4,decvax}!noao!terak!doug