[comp.windows.ms] TIGA Driver?

miller@saku.unl.edu (Michael Miller) (05/15/91)

I saw a message posted earlier, but didn't see any responses.  I was wondering
if anyone out there knew of a TIGA driver available for Windows 3.0.  I have
a Number Nine PEPPER Pro1024 board with a 34010 on it and 1MB of RAM.  Any
leads would be greatly appreciated.

   Michael Miller
   miller@desolate.unl.edu

wwitt@adara.intel.com (Wolf Witt) (05/17/91)

With regards to the requests for TIGA drivers for Windows 3...

I have a Hercules Graphics Station Card (a 34010 board) and the appropriate
TIGA drivers for it. I don't know how hardware specific these drivers are,
however. Should the TIGA drivers for the HGSC work with any TIGA board?
For those of you who feel adventerous, you can call the Hercules BBS at
(415) 540-6719 (9600 baud) or (415) 540-0621 (2400 baud) and try their
drivers.

Note that I don't know what the copyright issues regarding these drivers are.
If Hercules actually owns their Windows driver, they probably won't be too
thrilled about people who don't own HGSCs using them. However, if the
drivers are actually written by TI and Hercules just distributes them, I
suppose it might be ok for anyone with a TIGA board to use them. Keep this
in mind if you call the Hercules BBS. I don't mean to be promoting software
piracy.

Wolf
=> Wolf Witt, Design Engineer     <=> You say there is a bug in this chip?   <=
=> i860 Focus Group, Intel Corp.  <=> No, no, you don't understand...        <=
=> wwitt@smdvx1.intel.com         <=> This is a feature!                     <=
=> Intel knows nothing about what I say or do, but they pay me anyway.       <=

amf@ecs.soton.ac.uk (Andrew Fountain) (05/17/91)

In <miller.674284468@saku> miller@saku.unl.edu (Michael Miller) writes:

>I saw a message posted earlier, but didn't see any responses.  I was wondering
>if anyone out there knew of a TIGA driver available for Windows 3.0.  I have
>a Number Nine PEPPER Pro1024 board with a 34010 on it and 1MB of RAM.  Any
>leads would be greatly appreciated.

>   Michael Miller
>   miller@desolate.unl.edu

At this moment I am using a Hercules Graphics Station TIGA card, running
Windows 3.0 in 1024*768*256 colour.
I am using version 1.3 of the driver which came out 2 days ago and is
the first stable version. I obtained the driver direct from Hercules.

Yes it is *FAST*

--
amf@ecs.soton.ac.uk                  Dr. Andrew Fountain
Tel: +44 703 592831                  Dept of Electronics and Computer Science

wnp@iiasa.AT (Wolf PAUL) (05/22/91)

wwitt@adara.intel.com (Wolf Witt) writes:
> With regards to the requests for TIGA drivers for Windows 3...
> For those of you who feel adventerous, you can call the Hercules BBS at
> (415) 540-6719 (9600 baud) or (415) 540-0621 (2400 baud) and try their
> drivers.
> Note that I don't know what the copyright issues regarding these drivers are.
> If Hercules actually owns their Windows driver, they probably won't be too
> thrilled about people who don't own HGSCs using them. However, if the
> drivers are actually written by TI and Hercules just distributes them, I
> suppose it might be ok for anyone with a TIGA board to use them. Keep this
> in mind if you call the Hercules BBS. I don't mean to be promoting software
> piracy.

Actually, if Hercules makes them available on their BBS to anyone who
calls, there can be no question of software piracy. If they do not
want users of competing products to use the software, they should
build appropriate checks into the access to their BBS.

If you install a BBS, and advertise the numbers, I am free to download
AND USE anything I can, as long as I make no attempt to break the
installed security features.

If you place someone else's proprietary software on your BBS, and I
download it, the owner can complain to you, sue you for damages, etc., and
probably can get a restraining order to stop me from using the stuff,
but I cannot be held liable for the fact that you put it there without
access restrictions on it.
--
W.N.Paul, Int. Institute f. Applied Systems Analysis, A-2361 Laxenburg--Austria
PHONE: +43-2236-71521-465            INTERNET: wnp@iiasa.iiasa.ac.at