[comp.windows.ms] CorelDraw2.0: How do I export color bitmaps?

Neptune@cup.portal.com (Dwayne R Farley) (05/19/91)

I am trying to figure out how to export images in a format that
I will eventually be able to convert to GIF format.  These must
be at least 16 color images.  I've tried exporting in PCX but
CorelDraw converts it to B&W dithers.  The manual hasn't been
much help either.

Can someone help?

Dwayne Farley
neptune@cup.portal.com
dfarley@caticsuf.csufresno.edu

cms2839@isc.rit.edu (a.stranger) (05/20/91)

				why not just hit full - screen preview
( F9 ) , and then capture the screen to the clipboard ( PrintScreen ) ?
you will then have a colour bitmap image of the entire screen .

--
       @@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@
       @     "Imagination keeps the shadows away  -  Xymox      @

baldy@micor.ocunix.on.ca (The Bald Eagle) (05/20/91)

In article <42475@cup.portal.com> Neptune@cup.portal.com (Dwayne R Farley) writes:

>I am trying to figure out how to export images in a format that
>I will eventually be able to convert to GIF format.  These must
>be at least 16 color images.  I've tried exporting in PCX but
>CorelDraw converts it to B&W dithers.  The manual hasn't been
>much help either.
>
>Can someone help?

CorelDraw cannot export bitmaps in colour.  But, there is an easy workaround
for this.  What you do is go to full screen preview (I'm assuming you have
version 2.0 of CorelDraw) and then press your Print Screen key.  This pastes
the image to the windows' clipboard.  Then go into windows paintbrush and
click on edit and then paste.  (Make sure before you do this that you have
maximized the screen and have removed the toolbox on the side).  Then you
can save the file in whatever format that paintbrush offers.  I believe it
has a 16 colour option.

Donna
(on Andre's account)

--
uucp: micor!baldy        internet:  baldy@micor.ocunix.on.ca

The Bald Eagle strikes again!
God created only so many perfect heads, the rest He covered with hair.

jfadams@tc.fluke.COM (Jim Adams) (05/21/91)

In article <42475@cup.portal.com> Neptune@cup.portal.com (Dwayne R Farley) writes:

>I am trying to figure out how to export images in a format that
>I will eventually be able to convert to GIF format.  These must
>be at least 16 color images.  I've tried exporting in PCX but
>CorelDraw converts it to B&W dithers.  The manual hasn't been
>much help either.
>
>Can someone help?
>
>Dwayne Farley
>neptune@cup.portal.com
>dfarley@caticsuf.csufresno.edu

Here is one way (which may not be the only or preferred way):

Draw your graphic, using the appropriate fill colors, etc. and group
the items you want to export together.  Select the group, then use the
COPY command or control-INSERT to place your selection to the
clipboard.

Switch to an application such as WINGIF that supports the GIF file
format as well as the clipboard.  PASTE into WINGIF, then save your
graphic as a GIF.

Use of the clipboard is also a fast way to export graphics from
CorelDraw to other applications such as Powerpoint or Excel.
--
James F. Adams       John Fluke Mfg. Co., Inc.        Everett, Washington USA
WORLD:jfadams@tc.fluke.COM

jfadams@tc.fluke.COM (Jim Adams) (05/22/91)

In article <1991May19.203709.11638@isc.rit.edu> cms2839@isc.rit.edu (a.stranger) writes:
>				why not just hit full - screen preview
>( F9 ) , and then capture the screen to the clipboard ( PrintScreen ) ?
>you will then have a colour bitmap image of the entire screen .

It's not necessary to go into preview to cut a color bitmap to the
clipboard.  Highlighting the desired objects in wire-frame mode and
pressing CONTROL-INSERT will copy the object (color attributes and
all) into the clipboard.  No, it's not a bitmap, but a metafile--the
final form is determined by the destination application.  If the
clipboard object is pasted into a vector-based application, the
resultant image will be vector-based; if it is a bitmaped application
such as paintbrush, Windows will convert the metafile to a bitmap.

Last thing: it helps to scale the wire-frame CorelDraw object to the
desired destination size before copying to the clipboard (most of the
time - some apps paste from the clipboard to a fixed size regardless
of the size of the original image).