[comp.windows.ms] Need help with ATM 1.0 and QMS 410 LaserPrinter.

rehne@daimi.aau.dk (Soren Rehne) (05/22/91)

I've just installed ATM 1.0 with PageMaker 4.0.
When I start PageMaker ATM tells me that
ATM fonts and Postscript Printer fonts dosn't match on Gill.. font

Can anyone tell me what to do?
In the ATM manual it says that I have to add the missing font.
But I hav'nt got any other fonts...

SYSTEM CONFIGURATION :

Unisys 800 : 836 33 Mhz 4Mega
QMS 410 laserprinter.

thanks

Soren Rehne

tj@gpu.utcs.utoronto.ca (Terry Jones) (05/22/91)

>I've just installed ATM 1.0 with PageMaker 4.0.
>When I start PageMaker ATM tells me that
>ATM fonts and Postscript Printer fonts dosn't match on Gill.. font

This is a FLAME not towards the author, but towards Aldus and Adobe.
The ATM package included with PM4 is not the same as the one you buy.
Instead of containing Helvetica and Times-Roman it comes with 2 fonts
Gils Sans and some other, I don't recall cause I have the real ATM.

Fonts, especially soft fonts, are extremely confusing for most users.
With ATM for Windows 3.0 things finally started to settle down. There
were no problems with matching screen fonts and printer fonts. Installation
problems were reduced. As I said, things looked like they were going
to settle down.

Were things going too smoothly? Must have been. Lets distribute a slight
variation on ATM that stirs things up a little. Lets not give them real Times
and Helvetica.

I'm sure there was some real good marketing or licensing reason for this
but let me say that from and end user perspective, the problems created
by this cause confusion that cost unmeasureably.

Thanks Aldus and Adobe.

P.S. I think the answer was to re-select the printer in PM to get the
message to go away or something simple like that. The simplicity of the
fix is not the point, the confusion is.

dana@hardy.hdw.csd.harris.com (Dan Aksel) (05/23/91)

In article <1991May22.095230.5495@daimi.aau.dk> rehne@daimi.aau.dk (Soren Rehne) writes:
>I've just installed ATM 1.0 with PageMaker 4.0.
>When I start PageMaker ATM tells me that
>ATM fonts and Postscript Printer fonts dosn't match on Gill.. font

I've had similar troubles with a QMS-PS2200.  The solution isn't as simple as
reselecting the printer as another poster indicated.  There MAY BE an error in
your WIN.INI file.

We've downloaded several fonts from cica.cica.indiania.edu among others.  If you
installed a font called: Kaufmann check to see if lines similar to this appear
in your win.ini file.  Adjust "kaufmann" for all your other fonts.

[fonts]
Kaufmann:Bold 8,10,12,14,18,24,30 (VGA res)=EF020100.FON

and under the printer specific stuff:

softfonts=n  (n=total number of soft fonts downloadable)
softfont70=f:\psfonts\pfm\kaufmann.pfm,f:\psfonts\kaufmann.pfb

obviously, you need to change the path names...

ATM did NOT install these sequences automatically when I used the "add" feature
of the ATM control panel.  Our resident guru told me this and he'll probably
laugh when he reads this on the net...
----
Dan Aksel