[comp.windows.ms] PrintScreen from Windows

gosula@ccad.uiowa.edu (Saili Gosula-Markham) (05/08/91)

I have not been able to do PrintScreens from Windows.  Does anyone
out there have the same problem?  It just acts like nothing is
happenning.  If you can print can you tell me what I am doing wrong?
I can print from Word with no problem.

Saili

karinc@isc.intel.com (Karin Coffee) (05/08/91)

In article <1991May8.142511.24278@ccad.uiowa.edu> gosula@ccad.uiowa.edu (Saili Gosula-Markham) writes:

>I have not been able to do PrintScreens from Windows.  Does anyone
>out there have the same problem?  It just acts like nothing is
>happenning.  If you can print can you tell me what I am doing wrong?
>I can print from Word with no problem.
>
>Saili

What you are running into is something that was done intentionally by
Microsoft.  It is working correctly.  When you do a PrintScreen, it is
saved to the Windows Clipboard where you can then save it and then print
it.  I'd like to be able to print directly from the Clipboard, or better
yet, be able to PrintScreen.

I have found one anomaly around this, but it doesn't always hold true.
I have several systems that are configured to have an 84-key keyboard when
in fact they actually have a 101-key keyboard.  They can PrintScreen from
most of their DOS applications.  Unfortunately, it didn't work with the
reverse configuration.

According to my last issue of "Inside Microsoft Windows" you can also get
around this problem by checking the PrintScreen box in the PIF editor for
the pif file that calls the application.  This has never worked for me.
Looks like I need to call Microsoft again.  Sigh...

I hope this helps.

   Karin Coffee				Intel Supercomputer Systems Division
   Network/System Administration	15201 NW Greenbrier Parkway
   The LAN Lords 			Beaverton, OR  97201
   karinc@ssd.intel.com 		(503) 629-7693

elmanad@leland.Stanford.EDU (Adam Elman) (05/09/91)

In article <1991May8.142511.24278@ccad.uiowa.edu> gosula@ccad.uiowa.edu (Saili Gosula-Markham) writes:

>I have not been able to do PrintScreens from Windows.  Does anyone
>out there have the same problem?  It just acts like nothing is
>happenning.  If you can print can you tell me what I am doing wrong?
>I can print from Word with no problem.
>
>Saili

From what it sounds like you are trying to print the screen using the
"Print Screen" button.
Windows actually captures any output from the "PrintScreen" button
into the clipboard.  By simply pressing PrintScreen, you don't get
output to the printer, but instead a bitmapped image (B&W, apparently,
from just checking -- is this normal?) that you can paste into any
Windows app, such as WFW, or Paintbrush.

To print the screen, then, get an image in the clipboard, and paste it
into a document.

BTW, to see the contents of the clipboard, simply double-click on the
"clipboard" icon in the Main folder of Program Manager (unles, of
course, you have moved it. :-)

Later,
Adam Elman
elmanad@leland.stanford.edu

dennisw@tekig7.MAP.TEK.COM (Dennis G Ward) (05/09/91)

In article <1991May8.142511.24278@ccad.uiowa.edu> gosula@ccad.uiowa.edu (Saili Gosula-Markham) writes:

>I have not been able to do PrintScreens from Windows.  Does anyone
>out there have the same problem?  It just acts like nothing is
>happenning.  If you can print can you tell me what I am doing wrong?
>I can print from Word with no problem.
>
>Saili

Good. Then print from WFW.  All Print Screens simply go to the
clipboard.  You can insert (Shift-Insert) the screen into WFW or
Paintbrush (graphics), then print or whatever.

I found it hard to get used to, but pretty nice after realizing what
is happening.
--
Dennis Ward, dennisw@tekig7.MAP.TEK.COM, 19-090, (503)627-3525 FAX 503-627-4310

cms2839@isc.rit.edu (a.stranger) (05/09/91)

In article <1991May8.142511.24278@ccad.uiowa.edu> gosula@ccad.uiowa.edu (Saili Gosula-Markham) writes:

>I have not been able to do PrintScreens from Windows.  Does anyone
>out there have the same problem?  It just acts like nothing is
>happenning.  If you can print can you tell me what I am doing wrong?
>I can print from Word with no problem.

				when you hit printscreen in windows ,
the screen is copied to the clipboard as a BMP . you can then paste it
in a program like PaintBrush , and print it . if you need colour or a
greyscale , you might try the shareware program snagit .

--
       @@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@
       @     "Imagination keeps the shadows away  -  Xymox      @

) (05/09/91)

In article <1991May8.142511.24278@ccad.uiowa.edu>, gosula@ccad.uiowa.edu (Saili Gosula-Markham) writes:
> I have not been able to do PrintScreens from Windows.  Does anyone
> out there have the same problem?  It just acts like nothing is
> happenning.  If you can print can you tell me what I am doing wrong?
> I can print from Word with no problem.
>
> Saili
You can't do printscreens.  The printscreen key copies the screen to the
clipboard.
| Santanu Sircar                               BITNET:   ssircar@umaecs.bitnet |
| University of Massachusetts/Amherst          INTERNET: ssircar@ecs.umass.edu |

cchapman@msd.gatech.edu (Chuck H. Chapman) (05/10/91)

In <1991May8.142511.24278@ccad.uiowa.edu> gosula@ccad.uiowa.edu (Saili Gosula-Markham) writes:

>I have not been able to do PrintScreens from Windows.  Does anyone
>out there have the same problem?  It just acts like nothing is
>happenning.  If you can print can you tell me what I am doing wrong?
>I can print from Word with no problem.

See Windows manual, page 58...

Chuck

--
Charles H. Chapman  (GTRI/MATD)             (404) 528-7588
* Home of the 1990 National Champion Ga. Tech Yellow Jackets *

mikel@dosbears.UUCP (Mike Lipsie) (05/11/91)

In article <13604.28292851@ecs.umass.edu> ssircar@ecs.umass.edu (Good writers re-write -- not write!) writes:
>In article <1991May8.142511.24278@ccad.uiowa.edu>, gosula@ccad.uiowa.edu (Saili Gosula-Markham) writes:
>> I have not been able to do PrintScreens from Windows.  Does anyone
>> out there have the same problem?  It just acts like nothing is
>> happenning.  If you can print can you tell me what I am doing wrong?
>>
>You can't do printscreens.  The printscreen key copies the screen to the
>clipboard.

There is a reason for it.  Printscreen only handles text.  There is
no text (in the ASCII sense) on a windows screen.

--
Mike Lipsie
dosbears!mikel@pyramid.com

cms2839@isc.rit.edu (a.stranger) (05/12/91)

In article <314@dosbears> dosbears!mikel@pyramid.com (Mike Lipsie) writes:
>In article <13604.28292851@ecs.umass.edu> ssircar@ecs.umass.edu (Good writers re-write -- not write!) writes:
>>In article <1991May8.142511.24278@ccad.uiowa.edu>, gosula@ccad.uiowa.edu (Saili Gosula-Markham) writes:
>>> I have not been able to do PrintScreens from Windows.  Does anyone
>>> out there have the same problem?  It just acts like nothing is
>>> happenning.  If you can print can you tell me what I am doing wrong?
>>>
>>You can't do printscreens.  The printscreen key copies the screen to the
>>clipboard.
>
>There is a reason for it.  Printscreen only handles text.  There is
>no text (in the ASCII sense) on a windows screen.

				you mean the *DOS* PrintScreen only
handles text . the PrintScreen *key* simply triggers a printscreen
interrupt , which , by default , is handled by the dos printscreen
routine . hoever , any ISR can take over this interrupt , and there are
many printscreen replacements for DOS out there . in *windows* , using
an ISR isn't such a swift idea , but , as previously mentioned , the
printscreen *does* work ( just differently , and , in my way of thinking
, better ) , and , if monochrome bitmaps aren't good enough for you ,
you can use the shareware program SNAGIT .

--
       @@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@

garyh@telxon.UUCP (Gary Helander) (05/12/91)

In article <13604.28292851@ecs.umass.edu> ssircar@ecs.umass.edu (Good writers re-write -- not write!) writes:
>In article <1991May8.142511.24278@ccad.uiowa.edu>, gosula@ccad.uiowa.edu (Saili Gosula-Markham) writes:
>> I have not been able to do PrintScreens from Windows.  Does anyone
>> out there have the same problem?  It just acts like nothing is
>> happenning.  If you can print can you tell me what I am doing wrong?
>> I can print from Word with no problem.
>>
>> Saili
>You can't do printscreens.  The printscreen key copies the screen to the
>clipboard.
>--
>+------------------------------------------------------------------------------+
>| Santanu Sircar                               BITNET:   ssircar@umaecs.bitnet |
>| University of Massachusetts/Amherst          INTERNET: ssircar@ecs.umass.edu |
>+------------------------------------------------------------------------------+

The "PrintScrn" key copies the entire screen to the clipboard.
"Alt PrintScrn" copied the active window to the clipboard.
"Shift PrintScrn" does print the screen. (low resolution only, and if
you want graphics, make sure that graphics is loaded).

BTW this works with Windows 3.0 on a 386.

Hope this clears up a few questions.

| Gary Helander (Houston, TX.)     |     The limits of the mind,     |
| Telxon Corp.   Akron, OH.        |         are only limited,       |
|                                  |    by the limits of the mind.   |
| uucp:  uunet!telxon!garyh        |            -- me --             |

gregj@cpqhou.uucp (Greg Judkins) (05/14/91)

in article <1991May8.193458.20477@leland.Stanford.EDU>, elmanad@leland.Stanford.EDU (Adam Elman) says:

> In article <1991May8.142511.24278@ccad.uiowa.edu> gosula@ccad.uiowa.edu (Saili Gosula-Markham) writes:
>>
>>I have not been able to do PrintScreens from Windows.  Does anyone
>>out there have the same problem?  It just acts like nothing is
>>happenning.  If you can print can you tell me what I am doing wrong?
>>I can print from Word with no problem.
>>
>>Saili
>
> From what it sounds like you are trying to print the screen using the
> "Print Screen" button.
> Windows actually captures any output from the "PrintScreen" button
> into the clipboard.  By simply pressing PrintScreen, you don't get
> output to the printer, but instead a bitmapped image (B&W, apparently,
> from just checking -- is this normal?) that you can paste into any
> Windows app, such as WFW, or Paintbrush.
>
> To print the screen, then, get an image in the clipboard, and paste it
> into a document.
>
> BTW, to see the contents of the clipboard, simply double-click on the
> "clipboard" icon in the Main folder of Program Manager (unles, of
> course, you have moved it. :-)
>
> Later,
> Adam Elman
> elmanad@leland.stanford.edu

Actually the image is in full color in the clipboard.  If you import it into
a document (W4W, Write,...) it is converted to monochrome.  I am not sure if
it is the application doing the conversion but I suspect it is.

Greg

colfelt@news.colorado.edu (COLFELT ANDREW BRINTON W) (05/15/91)

mikel@dosbears.UUCP (Mike Lipsie) writes:

>>In article gosula@ccad.uiowa.edu (Saili Gosula-Markham) writes:
>>> I have not been able to do PrintScreens from Windows.  Does anyone
>>> out there have the same problem?  It just acts like nothing is
>>> happenning.  If you can print can you tell me what I am doing wrong?

>>You can't do printscreens.  The printscreen key copies the screen to the
>>clipboard.

>There is a reason for it.  Printscreen only handles text.  There is
>no text (in the ASCII sense) on a windows screen.

Wrong.  RTFM, p.58

colfelt@tramp.colorado.edu

c60c-2ij@e260-4d.berkeley.edu (Seg fault) (05/15/91)

In article <1991May14.164956.19963@cpqhou.uucp> gregj@cpqhou.uucp (Greg Judkins) writes:

>Actually the image is in full color in the clipboard.  If you import it into
>a document (W4W, Write,...) it is converted to monochrome.  I am not sure if
>it is the application doing the conversion but I suspect it is.
>
>Greg

Anybody out there know why this is happening? In the tutorial W4W
comes with, they do have nice COLOR images in the document, but as
said above, whenever i try to paste an image (which is in color in
the clipboard)), it becomes monochrome. Is there a way around this?
I am almost certain W4W supports color pics.

Gunjan

"Life is complex, it has real and imaginary parts to it."
			- I forgot who said this.....

burhans@mizar.usc.edu (Mustang Sally) (05/16/91)

>In article <1991May14.164956.19963@cpqhou.uucp> gregj@cpqhou.uucp (Greg Judkins) writes:
>>
>>Actually the image is in full color in the clipboard.  If you import it into
>>a document (W4W, Write,...) it is converted to monochrome.  I am not sure if
>>it is the application doing the conversion but I suspect it is.

I don't know about WFW but the April issue of Inside Msoft Windows sez
that Write was just NOT designed to display or print color pictures.
Therefore when you paste a color picture into a Write document, Write
will change to black ANY color other than white. This makes some
pictures look yuck fooey. The newsletter recommends using Paintbrush
to Save As... a Monochrome bitmap. Paintbrush will change ANY DARK COLORS
to black and any light colors to white. This CAN result in a more
pleasant looking picture. Then they recommend calling it back up in
Paintbrush copying and pasting to Write. They also go on to talk about
Write's resizing of pasted pictures...but that's another story.
--
Jackie Burhans (burhans@usc.edu)
Data Stylist, USC Student Affairs

akm@obelix.cs.uoregon.edu (Anant Kartik Mithal) (05/16/91)

In article <32878@usc> burhans@mizar.usc.edu (Mustang Sally) writes:
>I don't know about WFW but the April issue of Inside Msoft Windows sez
>that Write was just NOT designed to display or print color pictures.
>Therefore when you paste a color picture into a Write document, Write
>will change to black ANY color other than white. This makes some
>pictures look yuck fooey. The newsletter recommends using Paintbrush
>to Save As... a Monochrome bitmap. Paintbrush will change ANY DARK COLORS
>to black and any light colors to white.

A better way of doing this (IMHO), is to take said bitmap, read it
into Paintshop or WinGif, and then dither it to two colors, and then
read the resulting image back into Write/W 4 W. I've used this to
capture screen images (of w4w actually...), and it works reasonably
well. Of course, the dithering is at screen resolution, not printer
resolution, which is a little frustrating.

kartik

--
Anant Kartik Mithal                                     akm@cs.uoregon.edu
Research Assistant, 					(503)346-4408 (msgs)

alansari@copper.ucs.indiana.edu (Mohammad Al-Ansari) (05/16/91)

In article <32878@usc> burhans@mizar.usc.edu (Mustang Sally) writes:
>>In article <1991May14.164956.19963@cpqhou.uucp> gregj@cpqhou.uucp (Greg Judkins) writes:
>>>
>>>Actually the image is in full color in the clipboard.  If you import it into
>>>a document (W4W, Write,...) it is converted to monochrome.  I am not sure if
>>>it is the application doing the conversion but I suspect it is.
>>>

>I don't know about WFW but the April issue of Inside Msoft Windows sez
>that Write was just NOT designed to display or print color pictures.
>Therefore when you paste a color picture into a Write document, Write
>will change to black ANY color other than white. This makes some
>pictures look yuck fooey. The newsletter recommends using Paintbrush
>to Save As... a Monochrome bitmap. Paintbrush will change ANY DARK COLORS
>to black and any light colors to white. This CAN result in a more
>pleasant looking picture. Then they recommend calling it back up in
>Paintbrush copying and pasting to Write. They also go on to talk about
>Write's resizing of pasted pictures...but that's another story.
>--
>Jackie Burhans (burhans@usc.edu)
>Data Stylist, USC Student Affairs

I have W4W 1.1a and I can past color images in it with no problems. I
think that one of the things that V1.1a fixed was color image pasting
and printing, though I haven't tried printing yet.

--
Mohammad Al-Ansari
Computer Science Department

kensy@microsoft.UUCP (Ken SYKES) (05/20/91)

In article <1991May15.204141.8417@cs.uoregon.edu> akm@obelix.cs.uoregon.edu (Anant Kartik Mithal) writes:
>In article <32878@usc> burhans@mizar.usc.edu (Mustang Sally) writes:
>>I don't know about WFW but the April issue of Inside Msoft Windows sez
>>that Write was just NOT designed to display or print color pictures.
>>Therefore when you paste a color picture into a Write document, Write
>>will change to black ANY color other than white. This makes some
>>pictures look yuck fooey. The newsletter recommends using Paintbrush
>>to Save As... a Monochrome bitmap. Paintbrush will change ANY DARK COLORS
>>to black and any light colors to white.

You can put color images in Write or Word for Windows by including them
as a Windows Metafile.  I'm not sure what the best app is for converting
a bitmap to a metafile, maybe CorelDraw or Designer will do it.  There
should also be some cheaper alternatives.  In case this is a point of
confusion: I'm not suggesting breaking the bitmap down to drawing primitives;
I'm suggesting making a Metafile that just contains the bitmap.
Maybe there's a shareware package or a bored Windows programmer out there
that will provide a good solution to this.

Hope this helps.

Ken Sykes
Disclaimer: The above opinions are solely my own.

jdd@bunker.isc-br.com (Judy D. Daniluk) (05/21/91)

In article <1991May15.081353.28646@agate.berkeley.edu> c60c-2ij@e260-4d.berkeley.edu (Seg fault) writes:
>In article <1991May14.164956.19963@cpqhou.uucp> gregj@cpqhou.uucp (Greg Judkins) writes:

	[about pasted image which is in color in the clipboard
	becoming monochrome in W4W]

I am still hoping to see a better explanation from somebody in the know,
but I have some more data points to offer:

In these clipboard transfers:
alt-printscreen ---> w4w
alt-printscreen ---> Paintbrush ---> w4w
when the screen image gets to w4w, it is black and white, and the
solid grays turn black, making buttons and scrollbars totally illegible.

In these transfers:
alt-printscreen --> PowerPoint --> w4w
alt-printscreen --> Paintbrush --> PowerPoint --> w4w
the same screen image, when it gets to w4w, is in color.  (You have to
copy a new image to the clipboard from PowerPoint, even if you haven't
modified it!)

I have been told that you can also get a color image in w4w by transferring
through Excel 3.0.

I have w4w 1.1,  PowerPoint 2.00, Paintbrush 3.0, Windows 3.0 debug kernal
---
Judy Daniluk		      			 jdd@clunker.shel.isc-br.com

scolley@hpcupt1.cup.hp.com (Sue Colley) (05/23/91)

/ hpcupt1:comp.windows.ms / mikel@dosbears.UUCP (Mike Lipsie) / 11:45 am  May 10, 1991 /
In article <13604.28292851@ecs.umass.edu> ssircar@ecs.umass.edu (Good writers re-write -- not write!) writes:
>In article <1991May8.142511.24278@ccad.uiowa.edu>, gosula@ccad.uiowa.edu (Saili Gosula-Markham) writes:
>> I have not been able to do PrintScreens from Windows.  Does anyone
>> out there have the same problem?  It just acts like nothing is
>> happenning.  If you can print can you tell me what I am doing wrong?
>>
>You can't do printscreens.  The printscreen key copies the screen to the
>clipboard.

>There is a reason for it.  Printscreen only handles text.  There is
>no text (in the ASCII sense) on a windows screen.

You can do printscreens!  You need to create a .PIF file for the application and
be sure to put an 'X' in the Alt+PrtSc box in the .PIF Editor menu.  Then, you
can use the combination of Alt+PrtSc to actually print the screen and PrtSc key alone to print to the clipboard.

--