[comp.windows.ms] strange behavior from the new Winqvt

leoh@hardy.hdw.csd.harris.com (Leo Hinds) (05/17/91)

I just picked up the latest winqvt from cica and notice the following:

1) window takes full width of a 1024x768 screen, but yet can only
   manage to display 69 columns !

   Using (S)etup,(T)erminal,(W)indow to the small font, the window
   shrinks to 3"x4" (with apparently 80 columns) ... but it is quite
   unreadable.

2) The font now looks like a photocopier enlarged 9pin dot matrix
   printout.

   This is true whether or not the font distributed win WinQVT
   (vt220.fon) is placed in the windows\system directory or not.

   In the default.vt the is a definition "font_size=LARGE" ... I
   tried SMALL, but that made no difference.  There were no words
   (that I saw) referring to this in any of the 3 .WRI documents in
   the zip file, so I am not sure what the options are ...

3) The colors selected (foreground=white, background=green, bold=yell)
   result in a reverse video of black on black

4) vt200 emulation seems to have picked up additional bugs (compared
   to the 4.51 version I tried last) in that vi editing on a line
   (like character deletion) will not correctly update the line ...
   a ^L is required after modifying each line

5) When in vi I do something "bad" (requiring the visual bell) then
   the character size shrinks to fit a 3"x4" (vs the original 6"x10")
   screen ... a ^L restores "normal" (dot-matrix) characters.

6) Setup modifications made through the menu system ARE NOT saved in
   the current .VT file ... manual changes do appear to be read at
   the next invocation.

Note: All the above problems were not observed when I tried 4.51 ...
anybody run into problems with this newer version?
leoh@hdw.csd.harris.com         	Leo Hinds       	(305)973-5229
Gfx ... gfx ... :-) whfg orpnhfr V "ebg"grq zl fvtangher svyr lbh guvax V nz n
creireg ?!!!!!!? ... znlor arkg gvzr

cms2839@isc.rit.edu (a.stranger) (05/20/91)

				my problems with winqvt 4.65 are completely
different from that of the previous poster's ( which i have not seen ) .
specifically :

o dial on load does not work . chosing modem -> dial , as well , does not
provide the first phone_book entry , either . i have to choose modem ->
number and select one .

o after the first time i dial , the modem-> dial dialogue box will no longer
wait until i hit Dial to begin dialing , making it impossible from that point
on to enter a number manually .

o the eval `resize` command on Ultrix results in ultrix thinking that the
screen is wider than it actually is sized to . this did not happen with 4.55 .

o the screen length is not recognized by VMS , which assumes a 25 (  24 ? ) line
screen no matter what it is sized to .

--
       @@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@
       @     "Imagination keeps the shadows away  -  Xymox      @

bcw@rti.rti.org (Bruce Wright) (05/22/91)

In article <1991May19.171201.4651@isc.rit.edu> cms2839@isc.rit.edu (a.stranger) writes:
>				my problems with winqvt 4.65 are completely
>different from that of the previous poster's ( which i have not seen ) .
>specifically : [...]
>
>o the screen length is not recognized by VMS , which assumes a 25 (  24 ? )
>  line screen no matter what it is sized to .

I can't comment much on winqvt (I don't use it), but I can make a few
comments about using terminals on VMS.

The typical DEC terminals attached to a VMS system didn't have a
report that would return the number of lines on a screen until
recently (the VT420).  Versions of VMS before V5.4 do not recognize
the VT420;  moreover, even V5.4 does not request the appropriate
report from the terminal.  (As far as I know the only time that
VMS gets the page length right is when you are running from a
workstation - but my understanding of winqvt is that it doesn't
look like a DECwindows server, so it doesn't get the page length
right).  On all other terminals VMS assumes a page length of 24.

Maybe they will fix this in V5.5 of VMS, but even then VMS probably
won't ask for the page length unless your emulator reports that it's
a VT420.

You can override this in your LOGIN.COM file by adding a line like
$ SET TERM/PAGE=48 (or whatever).  Note that EDT will still assume
a 24-line screen, and even worse will set your scrolling region to
24 lines when it exits (grrr !! grrrr !!).  But you should probably
use TPU anyway, it will use a big screen properly, and is much faster
and more powerful.  Emacs should also work but I'm not so sure it
would be any faster than TPU ;-).

Good luck -

						Bruce C. Wright

cms2839@isc.rit.edu (a.stranger) (05/23/91)

In article <1991May21.205538.4717@rti.rti.org> bcw@rti.rti.org (Bruce Wright) writes:
>In article <1991May19.171201.4651@isc.rit.edu> cms2839@isc.rit.edu (a.stranger) writes:
>>				my problems with winqvt 4.65 are completely
>>different from that of the previous poster's ( which i have not seen ) .
>>specifically : [...]
>>
>>o the screen length is not recognized by VMS , which assumes a 25 (  24 ? )
>>  line screen no matter what it is sized to .
>
>I can't comment much on winqvt (I don't use it), but I can make a few
>comments about using terminals on VMS.
>
>The typical DEC terminals attached to a VMS system didn't have a
>report that would return the number of lines on a screen until
>recently (the VT420).  Versions of VMS before V5.4 do not recognize
>the VT420;  moreover, even V5.4 does not request the appropriate
>report from the terminal.  (As far as I know the only time that
>VMS gets the page length right is when you are running from a
>workstation - but my understanding of winqvt is that it doesn't

				thanks -- my experience with differing
page lengths has been on DECwindows and UIS workstations , which is
probably why i expected it to work . the UIS window , however , only
pledges VT241 ( ReGIS ) compatibility , though ...

				another problem with WinQVT 4.65 :
instead of scrolling the screen up and then adding the next line when
you use the scroll bars , it redraws the entire screen every time ,
slowing the process considerably . normal scrolling , however , works
properly .

--