[net.auto] New car shopping--my criteria an

bhs@siemens.UUCP (02/04/85)

By the way: if more people could suppress their bias towards japanese cars,
they would venture up to their local Volkswagen dealers and check out the new
Golfs and Jettas. They are both entirely redesigned, offering more room, better
handling smoother ride, etc. The Golf is made in the US of A, and is identical
to it's german namesake. The Jetta, which looks very sharp, is made in Germany.
In comparison to almost all japanese cars, VWs have freely revving engines
(with fuel injection, by the way), and have struck an admirable balance between
handling and ride.
Another plus: while a lot of japanese car dealers seem to be magnanamous by
only charging a few percent above list, VW dealers charge below list. A friend
of mine just purchased a Golf with almost all options except automatic and air,
and pays $8900. Do not forget that the Golf is probably going to be around for
a few years, instead of being replaced by a new japanese can two three years.

			Bernard H. Schwab
			Siemens RTL
			Princeton, NJ 08540

yosh@hou2e.UUCP (M.CHING) (02/05/85)

<>

> By the way: if more people could suppress their bias towards japanese cars,
> they would venture up to their local Volkswagen dealers and check out the new
> Golfs and Jettas....

Buy a Volkswagen and regardless of the model, you wind up driving
a precision German engineered tin can with all the comfort and plush
of a cinder-block.

					Dave Bloom
					Bell Labs, Holmdel

"Volkswagen.... the next best thing to ALCOA"

dmmartindale@watcgl.UUCP (Dave Martindale) (02/07/85)

In article <438@hou2e.UUCP> yosh@hou2e.UUCP (M.CHING) writes:

>Buy a Volkswagen and regardless of the model, you wind up driving
>a precision German engineered tin can with all the comfort and plush
>of a cinder-block.
>
>					Dave Bloom
>					Bell Labs, Holmdel

Hey, that sounds great compared to American cars!

alien@gcc-bill.ARPA (Alien Wells) (02/07/85)

>> By the way: if more people could suppress their bias towards japanese cars,
>> they would venture up to their local Volkswagen dealers and check out the new
>> Golfs and Jettas....

And don't fall for the trap of thinking of the Golf as a new model of car.
When I lived in W. Germany (1975-6) they were making Golfs, it is just the name
they use for the Rabbit in Germany (they have a smaller version called the
'Polo').  The change from Rabbit to Golf is no more significant than the change
from Datsun to Nissan (except Nissan thought they had more of a quality image
to lose from Datsun than VW had to lose from the Rabbit).

If you insist on thinking of the Golf as a totally redesigned, new model of
car, then you should overcome your bias toward german cars and venture up to
your local Honda dealers and check out the new Civics, Accords, and Preludes.
Thier redesign was much more major, and they don't feel they have to change
the name because the last version was so bad.

					Alien

chu@lasspvax.UUCP (Clare Chu) (02/10/85)

In article <> bhs@siemens.UUCP writes:

>By the way: if more people could suppress their bias towards japanese cars,
>they would venture up to their local Volkswagen dealers and check out the new
>Golfs and Jettas.

>Another plus: while a lot of japanese car dealers seem to be magnanamous by
>only charging a few percent above list, VW dealers charge below list. A friend
>of mine just purchased a Golf with almost all options except automatic and air,
>and pays $8900. Do not forget that the Golf is probably going to be around for
>a few years, instead of being replaced by a new japanese can two three years.
>

>			Bernard H. Schwab
>			Siemens RTL
>			Princeton, NJ 08540

  Ever wonder why VW dealers charge below list price???  Besides the Golf
is about as American as the Honda Accords, anyway :-) .....Also, I think
VW advertises that their list price for the Golf is $6990.

                                     Clare Chu
                                     Cornell University
                                     Ithaca, N.Y.

haapanen@watdcsu.UUCP (Tom Haapanen [DCS]) (02/13/85)

In article <438@hou2e.UUCP> yosh@hou2e.UUCP (Dave Bloom) writes:

>> By the way: if more people could suppress their bias towards japanese cars,
>> they would venture up to their local Volkswagen dealers and check out the new
>> Golfs and Jettas....

>Buy a Volkswagen and regardless of the model, you wind up driving
>a precision German engineered tin can with all the comfort and plush
>of a cinder-block.

I think this belongs in net.flame, not in net.auto.  I see that Dave
has not driven VWs or Audis lately since the Beetle days, and has a
rather low opinion of small cars.  The Golf/Jetta is a very solidly
built tin-can, and the comfort if very good.  The suspension is firm
(in German tradition), and the seats may not be ultra-plush, but they
are ergonomically designed and constructed of a durable fabric.

If you have specific complaints, please post them, but general
mud-slinging such as your posting is uncalled-for.

			\tom haapanen
			watmath!watdcsu!haapanen

In article <233@gcc-bill.ARPA> alien@gcc-bill.UUCP (Alien Wells) writes:

>> By the way: if more people could suppress their bias towards japanese cars,
>> they would venture up to their local Volkswagen dealers and check out the new
>> Golfs and Jettas....

>And don't fall for the trap of thinking of the Golf as a new model of car.

Bullsh*t.  See below.

>When I lived in W. Germany (1975-6) they were making Golfs, it is just the name
>they use for the Rabbit in Germany (they have a smaller version called the
>'Polo').  The change from Rabbit to Golf is no more significant than the change
>from Datsun to Nissan (except Nissan thought they had more of a quality image
>to lose from Datsun than VW had to lose from the Rabbit).

In Europe, there indeed has been a Golf since 1975.  The Golf was the
European version of the Rabbit.  However, I have to break to you the
fact that the new Golf is not the same car as the one sold in Europe
from 1975 to 1983.  In fact, the German automobile press has been
referring to the new Golf as 'Golf II'.  The only reason the name
changed here was to give VWoA a change of image, from a silly name to
a more European name.

The Golf has (as compared to the Rabbit or the old European Golf)
a brand new chassis, totally new sheetmetal, new interior, a better
engine, different wheels and tires --- it just sort of looks the same.
They changed everything that should have been changed, not the other
things --- basic styling, door handles, fuel injection system...

>If you insist on thinking of the Golf as a totally redesigned, new model of
>car, then you should overcome your bias toward german cars and venture up to
>your local Honda dealers and check out the new Civics, Accords, and Preludes.
>Thier redesign was much more major, and they don't feel they have to change
>the name because the last version was so bad.

Oh.  What's more major than redesigning a car from ground up?  Hmmm...
Please read at least one article on the new Golf before you condemn it
as last year's model with a new name.

				\tom haapanen
				watmath!watdcsu!haapanen

mab@hou4a.UUCP (Michael Brochstein) (02/14/85)

>And don't fall for the trap of thinking of the Golf as a new model of car.
>When I lived in W. Germany (1975-6) they were making Golfs, it is just the name
>they use for the Rabbit in Germany (they have a smaller version called the
>'Polo').  The change from Rabbit to Golf is no more significant than the change
>from Datsun to Nissan (except Nissan thought they had more of a quality image
>to lose from Datsun than VW had to lose from the Rabbit).

	Sorry to burst your bubble but you are wrong.  Yes the Rabbit was
called the Golf in Europe (Rabbit in US) ever since it was introduced. When
VW re-designed the Golf/Rabbit VW decided (for marketing reasons) that it
would be better if the Golf name was used world-wide and the Rabbit name
retired.  The Golf we have now in the US *IS* a redesigned car and not just
a nameplate switch.  The visual similarity between the Rabbit and the new Golf
is large but they are indeed quite different.  For reference check out the
car magazines.

--
Michael Brochstein     AT&T Information Systems, Holmdel, NJ
ihnp4!hou4a!mab        (201) 834-3482

smith@wlcrjs.UUCP (Mark L. Smith) (02/22/85)

Do you get wheels for $6990, or maybe a cardboard interior? {(-:}

A Hare owner